By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killzone ShadowFall Multiplayer runs at only 960 x 1080 resolution

@Aerys -- if you haev played the beta ,, you would know 6vs 6 plus Ai bots plu stitans is plentyful. Anymore then that ,, the game would be a mess and won't be fun. Still higher then KZ mp especially since Xbox one is 40% less powerful then ps4.Titanfall is a cross gen but its exclusive to only xbox one in terms of next gen console. Fact with 40 % extra power, ps4 is unable to render a game that has less resolution to titanfall at 60fps. At least titanfall hits it and is way smoother and fluid compared to KZ MP. truthfully after playing titanfall beta,, i couldn't touch KZ mp as it wasn't smooth and fluid liek titanfall. I haven't played KZ since then.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
Justagamer said:
Its not full hd. Its not interlaced either. 1080i is still 1920x1080... kz is 960x1080. They dont call 1080I 960X540, do they? No, so kz is not full hd, its 960x1080. Thats why theyre calling it 960x1080, because thats what it is. There is no need for damage control spin here. If it was interlaced, it would be 1080i, but they call it 1080p, so that means its simply 960x1080. You cant progressively show 1080 horizontal lines, but display the vertical lines interlaced. They may have some secret sauce to trick the eye, but 960x1080 is what it is: sub hd.

Digital Foundry said it was interlaced.

Then is it that the 960 is interlaced then ie: it's 480 per refresh? What I'm not getting is this: traditional 1080i is basically 1920x540, but they don't say that, it's 1920x1080. So why call this 960x1080 if it's just interlacing the pixels in the same way? You know what I'm saying?

Justagamer said:
brendude13 said:

Then is it that the 960 is interlaced then ie: it's 480 per refresh? What I'm not getting is this: traditional 1080i is basically 1920x540, but they don't say that, it's 1920x1080. So why call this 960x1080 if it's just interlacing the pixels in the same way? You know what I'm saying?

No, the 1920 horizontal pixels are interlaced, to 960 per refresh.

Inexcusable.

Aerys said:
dane007 said:
No matter how you try to spin it ,, the game still renders less then titanfall beta and thats a fact. You can't win them all ,, just be happy us gamers get good games to enjoy on our next gen consoles

No matter how you try to spin it, Titanfall is a cross gen game with old gen engine with 12 players and cant even renders 1080p .

Well we already know the X1 is an inferior machine. Some say its closer to a Wii U than PS4 in regards to capabilities.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Aerys said:
dane007 said:
No matter how you try to spin it ,, the game still renders less then titanfall beta and thats a fact. You can't win them all ,, just be happy us gamers get good games to enjoy on our next gen consoles

No matter how you try to spin it, Titanfall is a cross gen game with old gen engine with 12 players and cant even renders 1080p .

Well we already know the X1 is an inferior machine. Some say its closer to a Wii U than PS4 in regards to capabilities.

nahh play Foroa 5 on a nice tv and youll see in way will wiiu game ever get near that.

Mr Puggsly said:
Aerys said:
dane007 said:

Yes, some might say that but they're wrong. Just like those who think the ps4 is on par with pc.

Zekkyou said:
J_Allard said:

And yet this forum is full of PS4 owners who had no idea the game they were playing was actually sub HD. Which tells you this "best versions" stuff is a lod of BS.

Also, can you remind me what the PS4 resolutions for Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, Ryse, and Forza 5 are?

Except it's only technically sub HD. Your TV is still showing you 1920 x 1080 pixels without up-scaling, the game is just use an oddball method of doing it. Having the full 1080p being rendered per frame is definitely preferable (dat sweet sweet SP), but as a way to give the frame rate a big bump with relatively little impact on the games visuals, it's an excellent method. People have said in the past they noticed an odd sort of motion blur in the MP (caused by this method), but no one could really pin it down since the game was still technically showing 1920 x 1080 pixels on your TV.

As Joe said, it's pretty much just 1080i. It's silly to involve it in the 720p/900p/1080p arguments.

Interlacing refers specifically to even and odd scan lines being generated at alternating refresh rates. So at say 60hz, every 30hz, 540 lines of vertical resolution are scanned and the during the alternating 30hz, the other 540 lines of vertical resolution are scanned, resulting in a 1080 interlaced signal generated 30 times every 60hz cycle. 

This horizontal method of interpolating resolution is not technically interlacing, but it is half the data of a 1920x1080 native signal. But it is 960x1080 pixels of data being generated 60 times every 60hz cycle. Essentially we're seeing a method of interpolation used to generate the other half of the displayed data, which has been used on PS3 games (MGS4 used a similar display method) in the past. 

It's interesting because this is typically how 3D games were displayed on the PS3. 

Mr Puggsly said:
Aerys said:
dane007 said:

Stating that it's power is closer to the Wii u than the PS4 is way off the mark. It's probably closer to the original Xbox, pay no attention to the best looking console game in Ryse. Lets just bask in Killzones glorious multiplayer resolution which is significantly lower than some anticipated.

Justagamer said:
brendude13 said:
Justagamer said:
Its not full hd. Its not interlaced either. 1080i is still 1920x1080... kz is 960x1080. They dont call 1080I 960X540, do they? No, so kz is not full hd, its 960x1080. Thats why theyre calling it 960x1080, because thats what it is. There is no need for damage control spin here. If it was interlaced, it would be 1080i, but they call it 1080p, so that means its simply 960x1080. You cant progressively show 1080 horizontal lines, but display the vertical lines interlaced. They may have some secret sauce to trick the eye, but 960x1080 is what it is: sub hd.

I think what we have going on here is a misunderstanding between interlaced and interpolated data.

Interlacing refers to alternating vertical scan lines. As you said, 1920x540 alternating in offset odd and even scan lines.

Interpolating refers to creating visual data based upon a calculated estimation of data that should exist between two pixels. In this instance, we have 1080 lines of vertical data, but only half the horizontal pixels which must be calculated and estimated on the fly to fill in the gaps, hence that blurring effect.