By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killzone ShadowFall Multiplayer runs at only 960 x 1080 resolution

ethomaz said:

Dark_Feanor said:

Question 1:

If COD Ghosts or MGS GZ used this on XOne would that make the presentation better or 720p is just more straight foward?

Question 2:

Could this technic be used on 900p games and passthrough the upscaler? Question 1 again...

1. Yeap... it will look like a 1080p picture without the jaggies of 720p/900p upscaled... the downside is the blury created but it is less than the FXAA used in some games or the blury created by the upscale.

2. Yes... it can... now I don't know how hard to do that trick or how much the 60fps fell is compromised (I can't play Killzone MP in 30fps to make a comparision)... there are donsides like the blury picture but I need a proper comparision like the same version of the game running in 1080p native and generating the 1080p each 2 frames.

It is a trick at all... I don't like that... I prefer 1080p native always.

Yeah i hope not many games use this trick as it really blurred the textures badly. I was just compkaining about the FXAA in Killzone last week but it turns out it was this trick instead. Shoukd have targeted 1080p with 30 FPS

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
Skeeuk said:
whats the native resolution for ghosts?

It's 1920 x 1080 on the PS4 (2,073,600 pixels), 1280 x 720 on the X1 (921,600) and 880 x 720 on the WiiU (633,600). 

I believe the PS3/360 versions are also about the same the WiiU version, but i vaguely recall the 360 version being sightly higher than the other two. Can't remember where i read that so may have just been dreaming it :P

I have a question.  I understand how interlacing works, in that it takes two frames to make one image.  But, what I want to know is, if it takes 2 frames to make the image, wouldn't they have to be rendering the game at twice the desired framerate to pull off the 60FPS of the final product?

VXIII said:
kurasakiichimaru said:
VXIII said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Kyuu said:
Stefl1504 said:

Might be so they can say it runs at 1080p, since technically it does have 1080 vertical lines of resolution running progressively. It's just not the real 1920x1080.

Not directed at this game in particular, but I wanted 1080@60 to be the standard this gen :( ...Oh well, not that big of a deal I guess.

I think you are mistaken, it is 1080 pixels in each vertical line, not 1080 vertical lines. But your point stands, it is "technically" 1080p.

They should have gone with 1080p @ 30fps imo.

GG got away because of this kind of technique. Using frames from previous ones to blend on to the other blank ones. It only means that if this technique is use by a lot more devs and perfected, more devs are going to be able to finally cheat their way to 1080p and 60fps without a lot of people noticing the difference.

I think it is genius to be honest considering a lot of devs don't have the resources of 1080p assets from previous gen(japan games mainly).

I agree,  but is it as good as full HD, I haven't touched the multiplayer but I'm certain the answer is no. In this case It was unnecessary sacrifice in resolution Imo, did the extra frames make the gameplay any better than the main game?

I honestly can't understand the obsession in "60 Fps" lately.

When you do find the answer please share :^)

Lawlight said:
trixiemafia86 said:

At this rate, Brand new PC builds in less than two years from now. Will be considerably more powerful than the consoles and cheaper than $500/£430 

Doesn't matter when you can't play the Sony exclusives on PC.

True that

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

Justagamer said:
Its not full hd. Its not interlaced either. 1080i is still 1920x1080... kz is 960x1080. They dont call 1080I 960X540, do they? No, so kz is not full hd, its 960x1080. Thats why theyre calling it 960x1080, because thats what it is. There is no need for damage control spin here. If it was interlaced, it would be 1080i, but they call it 1080p, so that means its simply 960x1080. You cant progressively show 1080 horizontal lines, but display the vertical lines interlaced. They may have some secret sauce to trick the eye, but 960x1080 is what it is: sub hd.

720p = HD = 1280x720 = 921,600 pixels

960x1080 = 1,036,800 pixels

You cannot call it "sub hd" as the game renders more pixels than a standard HD resolution frame.

Also, 1080i is technically 2 frames of 1920 x 540 resolution (1,036,800 pixels each), interlaced vertically.  Even with a 540 pixel vertical resolution, it is still referred to as 1080i (and not 540i).  

With KZ:SF, the game uses 2 frames of 960 x 1080 resulution (1,036,800 pixels each), interlaced horizontally.  This is why the interlaced analogy works.

To put it another way, the game runs at full HD at sub-30 FPS, but your TV gets updates every half-frame.

This isn't the first game to use odd horizontal resolutions.  GT5 used 1280x1080, and WipeOut HD used anything from 1920x1080 to 1280x1080.

Around the Network

thismeintiel said:

I have a question.  I understand how interlacing works, in that it takes two frames to make one image.  But, what I want to know is, if it takes 2 frames to make the image, wouldn't they have to be rendering the game at twice the desired framerate to pull off the 60FPS of the final product?

That is the trick.

Instead to run the game at 30fps... they are running at 60fps rendering half of the image in one frame and the other half in another... because we eyes are "slow" the senssation is 60fps with some blurry... you are receing 60 images per second but you need two of them to have the full picture... the trick happened because the images are so fast that we eyes see the two at the sametime... so we see one full 1080p picture but it takes two frames to be mounted.

It is a 1080i but interlacing the horizontal resolution and not the vertical.

Zekkyou said:
J_Allard said:

LOL @ "well its only technically sub HD".

Upscaled 1080p is apparently unacceptable. That's what we have been hammered with since the consoles launched. And haha @ relatively little impact on visuals. I guess, if you like MP that looks like it's been lathered in grease. I agree the SP looks great, but this thread isn't about the SP. What you are doing is making excuses for the developers having to cut corners to achieve sub HD performance and even doing that, they still could not hit the 60fps they told us the game ran at.

The Titanfall beta pushes more pixels than Killzone 6 MP, and people have been harsh as hell on the visuals and performance of it. Even have basically convinced themselves the 360 version will be identical. Again, it just goes to show all this petty bickering about superior resolution and a slightly high frame rate is a waste of time. Had someone not brought this to life, every Killzone 6 owner would still be living in ignorance, believing their game was full HD at 60fps when that's far from reality. Makes it funny when these same people then talk about how much smoother this 1080p version of Game A is over the 900p competition or oh man those extra 15 frames per second just really make it next gen LOL. All I will say on the matter.

You laughing at my original statement shows your lack of understanding. 960 x 1080 is the number of pixels being rendered per frame, 1920 x 1080 is the number of pixels being shown to you on your TV (without up-scaling) by interlacing the current and previous frame. So it's both Sub HD and Full HD at the same time, hence i said technically. Without being told people wouldn't have noticed the difference since the game is still showing them 1920 x 1080 pixels. All they would notice is an odd motion blur (which has been mentioned numerous times in the past).

I've never seen anyone say up-scaled 1080p is unacceptable, only that it's not as good as "proper" 1080p (which is true). Gorilla have said since before SF's launch the MP ran at 60fps "a lot of the time" which it does. 

"relatively little impact on visuals". Notice the use of a particular word there? :P I said it RELATIVE to if the game had gone with traditional MP trade-offs. I assumed that was obvious.

Titanfall gets the shit is does because the game looks like ass. When something looks like ass you expect it to be able to run well, not to have difficulty hitting a locked 60fps at 792p. People saying it will be identical to the 360 version are talking rubbish, but it doesn't change the fact TF is incredibly underwhelming both visually and in performance. It's like they made some visual trade offs but then forgot to do anything with what they gained :P

dont forget the titanfall game engine is only designed to allow 6 v 6 users the rest are ai bots crank up the player count and more sacrifices would have had to be made, and can the above user who keeps calling killzone SF killzone 6 for some reason stop it as the devs who made the game have not called it that

in fact if any game is deserved of a 6 monikor it would be titanfall, 6 v 6 get it? i can change names too

obviously im only here for the fun of it, i think TF or TF6 if you will, will turn out to be a pretty good game

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

BenVTrigger said:
I'll also add thats a lower resolution than Titanfall on Xbox One so hopefully that ends those complaints being thrown at the game.

its online only, if it cant do the one thing it does well then it desereves all the shit it gets.

That resolution is in the ball park of 720p in regards to pixels. 720p is 921600, while this game is 1036800, ~11% difference.

I'm surprised it struggles to maintain 60 fps at that resolution.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Justagamer said:
Its not full hd. Its not interlaced either. 1080i is still 1920x1080... kz is 960x1080. They dont call 1080I 960X540, do they? No, so kz is not full hd, its 960x1080. Thats why theyre calling it 960x1080, because thats what it is. There is no need for damage control spin here. If it was interlaced, it would be 1080i, but they call it 1080p, so that means its simply 960x1080. You cant progressively show 1080 horizontal lines, but display the vertical lines interlaced. They may have some secret sauce to trick the eye, but 960x1080 is what it is: sub hd.

Digital Foundry said it was interlaced.