By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killzone ShadowFall Multiplayer runs at only 960 x 1080 resolution

In the single-player mode, the game runs at full 1080p with an unlocked frame-rate (though a 30fps cap has been introduced as an option in a recent patch), but it's a different story altogether with multiplayer. Here Guerrilla Games has opted for a 960x1080 framebuffer, in pursuit of a 60fps refresh. Across a range of clips, we see the game handing in a 50fps average on multiplayer. It makes a palpable difference, but it's probably not the sort of boost you might expect from halving fill-rate.

Now, there are some mitigating factors here. Shadow Fall uses a horizontal interlace, with every other column of pixels generated using a temporal upscale - in effect, information from previously rendered frames is used to plug the gaps. The fact that few have actually noticed that any upscale at all is in place speaks to its quality, and we can almost certainly assume that this effect is not cheap from a computational perspective. However, at the same time it also confirms that a massive reduction in fill-rate isn't a guaranteed dead cert for hitting 60fps. Indeed, Shadow Fall multiplayer has a noticeably variable frame-rate - even though the fill-rate gain and the temporal upscale are likely to give back and take away fixed amounts of GPU time. Whatever is stopping Killzone from reaching 60fps isn't down to pixel fill-rate, and based on what we learned from our trip to Amsterdam last year, we're pretty confident it's not the CPU in this case either.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-in-theory-1080p30-or-720p60

Around the Network

Sigh. Neither of the console's have particularly powerful GPU's even at the generational outset this time around.

I understand the fiscal necessity of that decision, I really do. Still, its a bit disappointing.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I normally don't get involved in these resolution threads but I found this surprising as we were led to believe multiplayer was a full 1080p

So it wasnt FXAA making the texture look awful.

AHHHH AVERT YOUR EYES!!!

There's a noticeable drop from single t o multiplayer. Ths is just the start of the gen. Things will improve as developers figure out their tricks Besides the MP is fun, So no big deal. Have no clue why they added the 30FPS lock in single player. I turn it on for a few min and quickly turned it back off.

Around the Network

Heh heh heh..... You have to laugh, if even a little.

I'll also add thats a lower resolution than Titanfall on Xbox One so hopefully that ends those complaints being thrown at the game.

BenVTrigger said:
I'll also add thats a lower resolution than Titanfall on Xbox One so hopefully that ends those complaints being thrown at the game.

When did they confirm the resolution for titanfall? Last i heard it was just over 720? 

BenVTrigger said:

It'll still be brought up that it's a higher resolution on a game with a very outdated engine and still doesn't look as good overall technically speaking.

I never said anything but it was quite clear that Killzone's multiplayer didn't look anything close to it's singleplayer. I instantly noticed the increase in jaggies and the low res look to it. I would even say it looked like they had a lower/weaker anisotropic texture filter. I thought it was a big sacrifice just to have unlocked 'up to 60fps'.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)