By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killzone ShadowFall Multiplayer runs at only 960 x 1080 resolution

kowenicki said:
Mystro-Sama said:
I thought everyone knew this.

why did you think that?  and how did you know previosuly?

Didn't they mention that the multiplayer wasn't as high res as the single player? Or did I just imagine that lol

Around the Network

Guys the final displayed resolution on screen in 1080p... that's why nobody can say or note it is not a 1080p game.... it render two frames.... one with pair columns and other with even columns... so each two frames you have the full picture displayed in the screen.

What you see in the screen is full 1080p... that's why nobody noted that before... this trick is the same used in 3D games.

But it is a shame they choose this trick instead full 1080p.

J_Allard said:

And yet this forum is full of PS4 owners who had no idea the game they were playing was actually sub HD. Which tells you this "best versions" stuff is a lod of BS.

Also, can you remind me what the PS4 resolutions for Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, Ryse, and Forza 5 are?

What you see in the TV is 1080p... that's why we have ideia of what we are sawing... the game uses 2 frames to display the full 1080p picture... so in each segund the game display 30 times the full 1080p picture on the screen.

ethomaz said:
Guys the final displayed resolution on screen in 1080p... that's why nobody can say or note it is not a 1080p game.... it render two frames.... one with pair columns and other with even columns... so each two frames you have the full picture displayed in the screen.

What you see in the screen is full 1080p... that's why nobody noted that before... this trick is the same used in 3D games.

Exactly :/ It's definitely a shame they chose not to go with "proper" 1080p, but people are trying to use it as some kind of justification for the resolution of other games without understanding what is actually happening here.

I'm a little late to seeing this thread but... Back in late November, I was playing this game and saying multiplayer didn't look that great, and that it looked kind of crappy in some ways, pointing out framerate dips, textures, sprites without shadows, etc...

I sure hope the Sony fanboys who were verbally bitch-slapping me at the time, telling me to "GTFO", and "get your eyes checked", and "You're just a Nintendrone" (funny, because they had no idea I was a PC gamer) are seeing this article

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Around the Network
ZyroXZ2 said:
I'm a little late to seeing this thread but... Back in late November, I was playing this game and saying multiplayer didn't look that great, and that it looked kind of crappy in some ways, pointing out framerate dips, textures, sprites without shadows, etc...

I sure hope the Sony fanboys who were verbally bitch-slapping me at the time, telling me to "GTFO", and "get your eyes checked", and "You're just a Nintendrone" (funny, because they had no idea I was a PC gamer) are seeing this article

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

kurasakiichimaru said:
VXIII said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Kyuu said:
Stefl1504 said:

Might be so they can say it runs at 1080p, since technically it does have 1080 vertical lines of resolution running progressively. It's just not the real 1920x1080.

Not directed at this game in particular, but I wanted 1080@60 to be the standard this gen :( ...Oh well, not that big of a deal I guess.

I think you are mistaken, it is 1080 pixels in each vertical line, not 1080 vertical lines. But your point stands, it is "technically" 1080p.

They should have gone with 1080p @ 30fps imo.

GG got away because of this kind of technique. Using frames from previous ones to blend on to the other blank ones. It only means that if this technique is use by a lot more devs and perfected, more devs are going to be able to finally cheat their way to 1080p and 60fps without a lot of people noticing the difference.

I think it is genius to be honest considering a lot of devs don't have the resources of 1080p assets from previous gen(japan games mainly).

I agree,  but is it as good as full HD, I haven't touched the multiplayer but I'm certain the answer is no. In this case It was unnecessary sacrifice in resolution Imo, did the extra frames make the gameplay any better than the main game?

I honestly can't understand the obsession in "60 Fps" lately.

ethomaz said:

Question 1:

If COD Ghosts or MGS GZ used this on XOne would that make the presentation better or 720p is just more straight foward?

Question 2:

Could this technic be used on 900p games and passthrough the upscaler? Question 1 again...

Dark_Feanor said:

Question 1:

If COD Ghosts or MGS GZ used this on XOne would that make the presentation better or 720p is just more straight foward?

Question 2:

Could this technic be used on 900p games and passthrough the upscaler? Question 1 again...

1. Yeap... it will look like a 1080p picture without the jaggies of 720p/900p upscaled... the downside is the blury created but it is less than the FXAA used in some games or the blury created by the upscale.

2. Yes... it can... now I don't know how hard to do that trick or how much the 60fps fell is compromised (I can't play Killzone MP in 30fps to make a comparision)... there are donsides like the blury picture but I need a proper comparision like the same version of the game running in 1080p native and generating the 1080p each 2 frames.

It is a trick at all... I don't like that... I prefer 1080p native always.

Its not full hd. Its not interlaced either. 1080i is still 1920x1080... kz is 960x1080. They dont call 1080I 960X540, do they? No, so kz is not full hd, its 960x1080. Thats why theyre calling it 960x1080, because thats what it is. There is no need for damage control spin here. If it was interlaced, it would be 1080i, but they call it 1080p, so that means its simply 960x1080. You cant progressively show 1080 horizontal lines, but display the vertical lines interlaced. They may have some secret sauce to trick the eye, but 960x1080 is what it is: sub hd.