By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Rayman Legends a great platformer?...better or worse than NSMBU?

JGarret said:
Thank you all for the answers.I'm strongly leaning towards getting the game next week...by the way, what's up with these Murphy levels that seem to be the weak part of the game?...are they that bad?

Murphy levels consist on you using Murphy to make Rayman progress through a chapter. You have to open him paths, like cutting ropes to unlock doors, moving engines to raise bridges and all sort of things like that. You do actually manipulate the enviroment in the Vita and WiiU version, and this seems to be an either love or hate gimmick. In the other versions, you don't control Murphy; he automatically opens you the paths, so you, as Rayman, progress through the chapter like any other chapter, really.

Around the Network
Wright said:
JGarret said:
Thank you all for the answers.I'm strongly leaning towards getting the game next week...by the way, what's up with these Murphy levels that seem to be the weak part of the game?...are they that bad?

Murphy levels consist on you using Murphy to make Rayman progress through a chapter. You have to open him paths, like cutting ropes to unlock doors, moving engines to raise bridges and all sort of things like that. You do actually manipulate the enviroment in the Vita and WiiU version, and this seems to be an either love or hate gimmick. In the other versions, you don't control Murphy; he automatically opens you the paths, so you, as Rayman, progress through the chapter like any other chapter, really.

Well on PS3/360 he moves automatically, but you still have to hit the "Murphy-Button" to trigger his action with the right timing, which can also be challenging in fast paced levels.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

it looks fantastic, but plays ok. like the old rayman games(but it hasnt a game breaking bug like the first rayman)
i cant say if its better or not. but its good and its worth the money.
if u have a wii u as second console, buy the wii u version, thats the best..

Excellent game, much better than NSMBU IMO.

BUT, get it on Wii U, it was built around the gamepad and it shows.

you mean guacamelee,right??

Around the Network

Rayman Legends is better then NSMBU. The first 2 NSMB were great but after 4 releases in 5 years or so it has lost its luster. I had more fun with the Luigi DLC, mainly because it was challenging.

If you like platformers with characters that autograb on ledges, weird physics when you attack in mid-air and infinite lives, then it's the game for you.

I've only played Rayman and I loved it :)

I can't compare to NSMBU, as I don't own it, but Rayman Legends is a great game I can really recommend. Get it for Vita or WiiU, as the Murphy-levels are implemented the way they were intended. I don't think you control Rayman on the other consoles, of what I read you press a button for Murphy instead of touch-actions and Rayman still moves automatic.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

At first i thought Rayman Legends was much better than NSMBU, it really is a super game, however as time goes on i am leaning more towards NSMBU again. The controls of Mario are so much tighter in my opinion than Rayman and i find NSMBU to best the best in that series. Rayman does win hands down in the visual dept as you would expect. I expect Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze to be better than both of those though, my advice? buy all three lol