By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Rayman Legends a great platformer?...better or worse than NSMBU?

Legends is a better platformer than NSMBU imo but I just hate the character models in Rayman... I just cant get into looking at them, they just look weird... But from a pure platforming standpoint, Rayman is better

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Wright said:
kitler53 said:

origins, imo, is the best platformer in at least the last 5 years. legends was good but the murphy levels were kind of bad, felt like a bad iphone game. i played on vita though so i'm not sure how those levels play on a home console. maybe they aren't there at all cause they were very touch driven.

On the Vita version, you control Murphy? Because on consoles (WiiU aside, which also has the Murphy gimmick thanks to the gamepad), you control Rayman and Murphy automatically opens you the paths.

i think vita plays the same as wiiU.   you contol murphy and basically it plays as swipe up, tap here, swipe down, tickle a bad guy.   ...really, really bad.  worse yet, the touch is nerfed to wiiU's single touch input even though vita is multitouch.   laaaaaame.

if on consoles you control rayman it already sounds about 10,000% better...

I have not played New Super Mario Bros. U (I have played all the prequels) but it doesn't have the charm of Rayman Legends. There is so much variety packed in Legends from mini-games to unique music levels to fun platforming compared to the same-old that U has.

I have the PC version and it's great other than UbiSoft once again shoving their garbage UPlay DRM onto it. I might buy the PS4 version someday. I also have Rayman Origins, which Legends has some levels culled from as extras.

I haven't played NSMBU but Legends was better than the Wii and DS games. Rayman Origins is my personal favorite and one of the best 2D platformers ever made.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Walter_Kovacs1986 said:
NSMB DS, Wii, 2, and U were ok games. The problem was that it seemed like no love was put into them, just basic platforming made for the casual gamer. Whereas Rayman Origins and Legends ooze of personality. Gorgeous art style, Braid-style music, new gameplay mechanics, variety of characters, awesome level design (especially the music levels), and multiplayer that works

I would agree that New Luigi U had alot of "love" and attention put into it. It actually felt like the original Marios imo.

Around the Network

Rayman is very creative in terms of presentation and has better looking graphics, is better in multiplayer.
On the other hand Mario doesn't feels sterile, and multiplayer is a bit of a mess, still the game mechanics are more refined and level design is much better.
If you're looking for something fresh and you want to feel the sense of discovery and variety I would go with Rayman, if you're looking for good arcade-feel platforming I'll go with Mario.
Still Donkey Kong Country blows both of em' out in the water.

As someone said, the NSMB series is a disgrace to the Mario franchise. No feelings and plenty of rehashing.

IMO Rayman Legends is a worthy purchase and a great platformer;it also contains all the Origin levels if you didn't play the first. There are also daily/weekly challenge levels where you basically face off against everyone in the world to get a diamond/gold trophy. Although I must confess that I do miss the time trial challenges that were in Origins that are not present in Legends.

PS3, PS4, PSV, Wii U, 3DS + 3DS XL Owner.

PlayStation Nation

NNID: aminryu1

I need to stop buying games...

Rayman Legends is an excellent game! Go and get it, NOW!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I havent played Legends, but if Origins is any indication then yes its a great platformer.

I remember all the crazy praise rayman origins was getting a few years ago and thinking, there's no way the game is that good. Boy was I wrong. I used to think that SMB3 was the best thing ever, but this game beats it easily. I played 3d land recently and while it's good, I don't have nearly as much fun as with Rayman (Legends).

The last levels of each world/chapter are orgasmicly good. The music is incredible and they can be quite difficult in a good way.

Anyway, apart from the Murphy levels (whoever thought it'd be a good idea to include this character should be fired), the game is an absolute 10/10 for me. All sorts of amazing. Buy it!!!