By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Rayman Legends a great platformer?...better or worse than NSMBU?

Havent played legends but i liked Origins more than NSMBU. It is more challenging than NSMB. NSMB is way to easy for me to find any enjoyment in it personally.  If theyre going to make it that ridicluosly easy then they need to start adding dificulty options.

Around the Network

The music levels in Legends make it a better game. They're that good.

Reyman. You're Comparing a good game to a series that isn't even good. All of those NSMB are just an insult to Mario's good name. 3d Platformers on the other hand... Mario is the king of those.

Now I'd say DKCR was better than Rayman.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Legends eats NSMBU for breakfast. Mario is good, but Legends is borderline incredible. I haven't finished it yet but it's clear that it's the better game.

I have yet to play Legends as I have yet to play it so I will be speaking about Origins:

I cannot get into this game. To me, the first thing a platformer needs to get right is the feel. Everybody knows the feel of a Mario game. You can pick up and jump right in and it just feels natural. Maybe because this feel has been so deeply ingrained into my head that I cannot wrap my head around Origins. It just feels strange. They characters don't move the way I want and the pace seems off to me.

I don't mean to state this as a flaw of the game...I just recommend trying it out before buying. A platformer that feels wrong just isn't fun to play. Maybe I can rewire myself to be able to play the game but as of now, I have the game on hold. I rarely put platformers on hold. I usually blow through them because I love them so much and they are so much fun...

I hope you like Rayman more than I do

Around the Network

If you thought NSMBU was an okay game or more, you HAVE to buy Rayman Legends. The reason i bought a Wii U in the first place, and I hadn't really played any Rayman game before. I played much of Origins with a friend just before Legends launched, and it didn't disappoint. I see some people here played Origins but not Legends, and I'll say one thing: Legends is much, much better than Origins. A whole lot of levels from Origins are included as well, as bonus worlds. Legends actually feels like a new game, unlike what I felt from NSMBU (it didn't help that the subpar NSMB2 had launched just a few months earlier...)

To the OP: Buy Rayman Legends as soon as you can. It's definitely one of the best games of 2013.

Yep.

origins > legends but if you like platformers you can't go wrong with either.

origins, imo, is the best platformer in at least the last 5 years. legends was good but the murphy levels were kind of bad, felt like a bad iphone game. i played on vita though so i'm not sure how those levels play on a home console. maybe they aren't there at all cause they were very touch driven.

i have no opinion about NSMBU as i didn't play it but both legends and origns were better than NSMB imo.

kitler53 said:

origins, imo, is the best platformer in at least the last 5 years. legends was good but the murphy levels were kind of bad, felt like a bad iphone game. i played on vita though so i'm not sure how those levels play on a home console. maybe they aren't there at all cause they were very touch driven.

On the Vita version, you control Murphy? Because on consoles (WiiU aside, which also has the Murphy gimmick thanks to the gamepad), you control Rayman and Murphy automatically opens you the paths.

Rayman Legends is much better. Nowadays the best 2D platformers are Donkey Kong and Rayman. Mario is great but in 3D platformers, not 2D, unfortunately. It is like Nintendo does not put the same effort in 2D Mario as they do with 3D Mario.

NSMBU is solid, as usual, but just more of the same, as usual. What I've played of Rayman is amazingly fun, inventive, and beautiful. What they've done to the genre makes Mario look really lame, in my opinion. Nintendo refuses to improve or change in basically any way that matters.

If you have a Wii U, I'd get it on that. The touch-based co-op stuff is weirdly fun. I don't even know how long I spent on the free challenge app that they released before the game launched. And the music levels are ridiculously awesome!

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9