By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order 1886 runs 4xMSAA; 1920x800 vs 1920x1080 "not set in stone yet"

Tagged games:

Zekkyou said:
rolltide101x said:
Chevinator123 said:

Ah, I understand now. (obvious now that I really think about it) 1920x800 is not 800p.

What is the point/appeal of the black lines though? Just to make the horizontal field of view larger?

They want it to be a "cinematic experience" or some shit :P

16:9 is cinematic too...

I see what you mean, but actually most games do it wrong. They simply add black bars during cut scenes that fade in and out. That's not the same as a true 2.4:1 aspect ratio. Going from 16:9 to 2.4:1 should zoom the image out while image height stays constant, thus increasing horizontal field of view. Most games just limit vertical field of view by adding black bars on top. Pointless and annoying.

For example how it would look in 16:9

Normal way of making cut scenes 'cinematic'

2.4:1 Aspect ratio done right

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
rolltide101x said:
Chevinator123 said:

It wouldn't, cause the crispness/image quality of the game running with or without the black bars is exactly the same. without the black bars it would be the exact same picture quality, just set to fill the entire image.

hard to explain/Sounds crazy i know but 1920x800 with black bars @ 4x MSAA >>> 1080p less AA

Ah, I understand now. (obvious now that I really think about it) 1920x800 is not 800p.

What is the point/appeal of the black lines though? Just to make the horizontal field of view larger?

It's strictly for performance. It's a custom resolution, the tv may be displaying all 1080 Lines, but the ps4 is not. They could do a 1920x 200 if they want to, and have huge black bars, and maintain the clarity without stretching the image. Let's be real here.... If they could, they would fill the screen. The game looks good, so they obviously are making compromises in screen res. and to prevent it from getting blurred further by stretching the image (upscaling) they maintain a 1 to 1 pixel display this way. I think it's smart. But again, if they could fill the entire screen at 1920x1080 they'd have done it. Let's not fool ourselves here, it wouldn't be less cinematic, seriously..... Sigh.....

Ready at Dawn needs to STFU and show the game already. This is really getting annoying.

"We actually used to use deferred rendering, and one of the reasons for switching was so that MSAA would be more affordable and less error-prone. I’m a firm believer in MSAA, and I think it’s required if you want really good image quality. The shader-based techniques like FXAA and MLAA are certainly a lot better than nothing and they make a still screenshot look really nice, but they’re fundamentally limited by a lack of sub-pixel information and it really shows in motion. They can still be nice though when used in conjunction with MSAA in order to improve the quality further and to cover up some of the places where MSAA doesn’t work as well, and there’s also some shader things you can do on modern GPU’s that make MSAA more effective overall."

MSAA and resolution won't change... thanks God.

Justagamer said:
Zekkyou said:

It's strictly for performance. It's a custom resolution, the tv may be displaying all 1080 Lines, but the ps4 is not. They could do a 1920x 200 if they want to, and have huge black bars, and maintain the clarity without stretching the image. Let's be real here.... If they could, they would fill the screen. The game looks good, so they obviously are making compromises in screen res. and to prevent it from getting blurred further by stretching the image (upscaling) they maintain a 1 to 1 pixel display this way. I think it's smart. But again, if they could fill the entire screen at 1920x1080 they'd have done it. Let's not fool ourselves here, it wouldn't be less cinematic, seriously..... Sigh.....

That's a very narrow minded view.

Next are you going to tell me black and white movies are still made only because color cameras cost to much?

Around the Network

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

JoeTheBro said:
Justagamer said:
Zekkyou said:

That's a very narrow minded view.

Next are you going to tell me black and white movies are still made only because color cameras cost to much?

Ok, so now black bars = more cinematic.... Got it. The 500,000+ pixel savings has nothing to do with it. So to you, 16:9 is less cinematic than  2.4:1?  For movies it depends on the camera, whether it's a wide angle or not, for games?  Not so much....  They said it themselves in the tweets.... The added performance is a bonus, implying they have done it both ways. I'm not bashing the game, looks pretty great to me. I'm just saying how I feel about why they're going that rout.... And black and white is an artistic choice, hardly a good comparison. 

Im honestly glad they chose to go this rout vs stretching the image. I wish more companies would do this. It's a great compromise. They maintain the overall image quality while only cutting off a little portion of the screen. It's not like they are creating the game with a wide angle camera after all. 

I stand by what I said, if they could've filled the screen they would have. During cut scenes sure, I guess it could be used for them. But during gameplay? I'm hardly thinking while I'm running around a game world "wow, this would be so much more cinematic with black bars"...  It's for performance, in my humble opinion.....

Justagamer said:
Zekkyou said:
rolltide101x said:
Chevinator123 said:

It wouldn't, cause the crispness/image quality of the game running with or without the black bars is exactly the same. without the black bars it would be the exact same picture quality, just set to fill the entire image.

hard to explain/Sounds crazy i know but 1920x800 with black bars @ 4x MSAA >>> 1080p less AA

That's not always true. See my post above. 2.4:1 done correctly actually hampers performance since a lot more geometry is in view. Zooming out from 16:9 to 2.4:1 increases the horizontal fov by 35%. Sure it will still cost more to fill in the extra sky and street on top of the zoomed out picture, but it would make it look less appealing. A bigger horizontal fov provides better immersion in the surroundings. Otherwise why not go back to 4:3, 1440x1080.

SvennoJ said:
Justagamer said:
Zekkyou said:
rolltide101x said:
Chevinator123 said:

That's not always true. See my post above. 2.4:1 done correctly actually hampers performance since a lot more geometry is in view. Zooming out from 16:9 to 2.4:1 increases the horizontal fov by 35%. Sure it will still cost more to fill in the extra sky and street on top of the zoomed out picture, but it would make it look less appealing. A bigger horizontal fov provides better immersion in the surroundings. Otherwise why not go back to 4:3, 1440x1080.

Yes, but even if they utilized the entire screen, they could still zoom out the same way, still get the 35% increase in the field of view, while still having more image on the top and bottom too. I firmly believe this is a performance issue. They could keep the wide angle, either way. Either way, they are shaving off over 500,000 pixels, and that's really what the black bars are achieving. As I said before tho, I think it's a good move, because it maintains a 1:1 pixel ratio, instead of stretching it and adding blur. I wish more companies would apply this technique, and I actually believe they will. I'm looking forward to this game, and I hope it turns out great, because I really like the look of it... I want a new game for my ps4, outlast is ok, but I really want a good game that looks great, and this game looks pretty phenomenal.... Hope it's a day one...

ethomaz said:

HoloDust said:

Yeah, that's about right...performance difference between 2xMSAA and 4xMSAA is somewhere around 35%.

PS4 hardware is weak for 1080p with 4xMSAA... sad

1080p looks pretty good even without MSAA. I think you would need a pretty big TV to really notice any jaggies. My PC can't even play a game like BF3 @ 1080p with 4XMSAA at max settings and 60fps.

Unless you're kidding, I think maybe you're expecting a lot so early in the generation.