By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order 1886 runs 4xMSAA; 1920x800 vs 1920x1080 "not set in stone yet"

Tagged games:

Not to nit pick but we should not use the term 800p. 1920x800 is not 800p. 800p would be 1424x800. The resolution the devs want to do with there game is basically the same as 1080p movies with black bars.

Also there will be no upscaling with 1920x800, unlike a 900p or 720p game.

Around the Network

I'm cool with the widescreen, but I game on a 55" (60 or 70 would be more ideal.) People with 40 or less screen sizes might have to sit pretty close to the TV to enjoy that res. I hate sitting to close honestly, I like a balance. Basically I don't want to squint when I game.

I prefer black bar and a wider horizontal fov, especially if the game is created with that in mind.

For example :

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

trixiemafia86 said:
Can't wait for the gameplay reveal

Here is a sneak peack.

rolltide101x said:

I would expect 1080p with FXAA to look better than 800p with 4x MSAA. I know from my experience as a PC gamer resolution is more important than AA. But I trust Ready At Dawn, whatever they do will be for the best.

I do agree that FXAA can give a "milky" look though

It wouldn't, cause the crispness/image quality of the game running with or without the black bars is exactly the same. without the black bars it would be the exact same picture quality, just set to fill the entire image.

hard to explain/Sounds crazy i know but 1920x800 with black bars @ 4x MSAA >>> 1080p less AA

Around the Network
FinalFantasyXIII said:

I'm cool with the widescreen, but I game on a 55" (60 or 70 would be more ideal.) People with 40 or less screen sizes might have to sit pretty close to the TV to enjoy that res. I hate sitting to close honestly, I like a balance. Basically I don't want to squint when I game.

The smaller the tv the better it is to game on in actuality (as far as performance that is)

But if you play mostly casual/single player games this is a non-issue

Chevinator123 said:
rolltide101x said:

I would expect 1080p with FXAA to look better than 800p with 4x MSAA. I know from my experience as a PC gamer resolution is more important than AA. But I trust Ready At Dawn, whatever they do will be for the best.

It wouldn't, cause the crispness/image quality of the game running with or without the black bars is exactly the same. without the black bars it would be the exact same picture quality, just set to fill the entire image.

hard to explain/Sounds crazy i know but 1920x800 with black bars @ 4x MSAA >>> 1080p less AA

Ah, I understand now. (obvious now that I really think about it) 1920x800 is not 800p.

What is the point/appeal of the black lines though? Just to make the horizontal field of view larger?

rolltide101x said:
Chevinator123 said:

Ah, I understand now. (obvious now that I really think about it) 1920x800 is not 800p.

What is the point/appeal of the black lines though? Just to make the horizontal field of view larger?

They want it to be a "cinematic experience" or some shit :P

rolltide101x said:
Chevinator123 said:
rolltide101x said:

Yes exactly. It allows you to zoom out a bit and show more of the surroundings. The character will still occupy the same screen height, thus horizontal field of view is larger. It's not the same as simply cutting of the top and the bottom if done right. (The original Bioshock did it wrong, that showed the same horizontal field of view in 5:4 as 16:9, 16:9 just blocked off the top and bottom bits)

rolltide101x said:

FXAA is blurry like a hell.. the worst AA ever... the only advantage is that it is almost perfomrnace free for modern GPUs.