By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order 1886 runs 4xMSAA; 1920x800 vs 1920x1080 "not set in stone yet"

Tagged games:

ethomaz said:

HoloDust said:

Yeah, that's about right...performance difference between 2xMSAA and 4xMSAA is somewhere around 35%.

PS4 hardware is weak for 1080p with 4xMSAA... sad

Give it time.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
JoeTheBro said:
Zekkyou said:

I thought the black bars weren't rendered by the PS4? 960p is the non black bar area anyway :P

They are produced in the game engine. The output to the TV is 1080p.

Saying The Order is 800p would be like walking up against a black wall in a game and saying the game is 0p. Kinda different, but yeah.

Huh, i didn't know that. I assumed the black bars were simply a product of a 2.4:1 imagine being put into a 16:9 box :P I suppose it would be more accurate to say the in-game area is 960p, with the total output being 1080p?

Calling it 800p is pretty silly though, even if technically right in regards to the game zone. But just because something is "technically right" doesn't mean its' actually right.

I guess it's easier just to talk about the render resolution, 1920x800 displayed at 1920x1080 without upscaling.
Or would you say a 2.35:1 blu-ray is 817p

For comparison
1920x1080 = 2,073,600
1440x1080 = 1,555,200 (GT6 stretched to 1920x1080)
1920x800 = 1,536,000 (The order, 140 pixel high black bars)
1600x900 = 1,440,000 (Ryse upscaled to 1920x1080)
1280x1080 = 1,382,400 (GT5 stretched to 1920x1080)
1280x720 = 921,600
1280x544 = 696,320 (Beyond 2 Souls, 88 pixel high black bars in 720p)

It would be nice to game on an actual 21:9 monitor (2560x1080) but then it's upscaled again. Maybe next gen we'll be gaming on these in native resolution:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/18/lg-105-inch-curved-uhd-tv-105ub9/ (5120x2160)

Skyrim in 2022 (well you could now if you have 70k for the tv and 5k for a pc)

SvennoJ said:

It would be nice to game on an actual 21:9 monitor (2560x1080) but then it's upscaled again. Maybe next gen we'll be gaming on these in native resolution:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/18/lg-105-inch-curved-uhd-tv-105ub9/ (5120x2160)

Skyrim in 2022 (well you could now if you have 70k for the tv and 5k for a pc)

Don't limit yourself with just a single 21:9 monitor, get three. Heck. Get 6, heck don't even use monitors, use 6x 4k projectors and make a circular room so the game is all around you. #onlyonpc

Next gen should be 2k resolution though, thus 2048x1080 at a minimum, 2k and 4k are slated to be the next standards, unfortunatly 2560x1600 and 2560x1440 as well as 2560x1080 probably won't ever be a natively supported rendering resolution on a console, they simply don't have the horsepower PC's have and they aren't official TV resolution standards AFAIK, I doubt that will be resolved next generation either.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

ethomaz said:

HoloDust said:

Yeah, that's about right...performance difference between 2xMSAA and 4xMSAA is somewhere around 35%.

Ps 3.5 confirmed?

Yay!!!

What about 1080p with just 2XMSAA? seems the obvious halfway between the original 2 options. If it's not 1080p it will get flamed and trolled just for that, I have no doubt. What happened to Sony mandating 1080p?

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

Around the Network

The character models shown look fantastic and hopefully won't be downgraded when it comes to in-game graphics. From the developer's comments, it sounds like the 1920x800 was a choice for matching the level of detail they wanted to show with the graphical prowess of the PS4. (That's not a back-handed compliment as currently the PS4 has the most grunt of any console available). Personally, I think that having 4xMSAA is worth the trade-off and will make the game more immersive; you probably won't notice the black bars.

I do still have some doubts about the game, but they could easily be dispelled. I do like multi-player as playing with or against a human is always better than AI. Single-player games can still work but if there are 4 main protagonists working together as in this game, the AI is going to have to be top-notch. If you end up having 3 dumb, bullet proof side-kicks or this game is on rails to keep the story on track, the pretty graphics won't save it. Hopefully, they have invested as much effort in the AI as in the graphics.

I really like the concept and the setting: probably the most interesting of all next-gen games if it delivers on this promise. I just hope that the fog/smog isn't all-pervasive and being used to help out with cutting down on the graphics load. The fog suits the environment and gives a claustrophobic feeling in some of the battle sequences shown at night but it needs to be balanced. Even if it is used to help graphically during intensive on-screen action where there are a lot of character models on screen doing battle, I could accept that so long as it is balanced with fog-free city exploring.

If it plays as good as it looks, I might be persuaded to get a PS4.

Thank god they're not bolting on multiplayer just to pad the game time. I'm actually saddened that people would actually want mp that wouldn't even serve a purpose.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

adriane23 said:
Thank god they're not bolting on multiplayer just to pad the game time. I'm actually saddened that people would actually want mp that wouldn't even serve a purpose.

It seemed to work out for TLoU. A game that didn't necessarily need it to justify it's price added it anyway. And it worked out great. You don't like multiplayer, don't play it.

iceboy151 said:
adriane23 said:

It seemed to work out for TLoU. A game that didn't necessarily need it to justify it's price added it anyway. And it worked out great. You don't like multiplayer, don't play it.

The Last of Us multiplayer was just fantastic, my favourite multiplayer game ever. Though you have to consider that Naughty Dog is a huge team now with years of experience. Ready at Dawn is smaller and inexperienced compared to them. Developing both singleplayer and multiplayer simultaneously might hamper the single player aspect of it. There will be many games from them this gen hopefully, so plenty of time to create multiplayer mode etc. when they feel the time is right.

Locknuts said:
ethomaz said:

HoloDust said:

1080p looks pretty good even without MSAA. I think you would need a pretty big TV to really notice any jaggies. My PC can't even play a game like BF3 @ 1080p with 4XMSAA at max settings and 60fps.

Unless you're kidding, I think maybe you're expecting a lot so early in the generation. 

Not kidding... I what minimum 1080p with 2xMSAA for all games on PS4... my HDTV have a common size (51") and aliasing is pretty noticeable even with 1080p.