By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order 1886 runs 4xMSAA; 1920x800 vs 1920x1080 "not set in stone yet"

Tagged games:

Gotta love devs getting in touch with gamers.

I don't mind the framerate. And I'm sure they'll be pushing amazing visuals at x800. 4x MSAA will look smooth!

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network

BTW all this talk about Order and things like that remembered me about a manga...

D. Gray-Man

Can't wait for the gameplay reveal

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

ethomaz said:

HoloDust said:

Yeah, that's about right...performance difference between 2xMSAA and 4xMSAA is somewhere around 35%.

PS4 hardware is weak for 1080p with 4xMSAA... sad

Matter of dev's priorities I guess...no matter how good your hardware is, you can always bring it to its knees.

Anyway, as someone who's been unsatisfied with pretty much all AA solutions other than SSAA since they were first introduced, I'd say 1920x800 with 4xMSAA is better option, specially if there are reasons other than technical for 2.40:1 aspect ratio (not that I actually care so far about the game, tbh).

ethomaz said:

From GAF.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764678

Glad the 4xMSAA is back... no more PS3 MLAA or FXAA... this was the biggest news ever for me.

1080p with 4xMSAA is MEGATON to me.

Everyone on Internet is mistaking the meaning of this tweet. It's not the resolution which is not set is stone, it's the 4xMSAA.

And you know they could still combine the great 4xMSAA with the shitty FXAA and completely wreck the image and they'll probably do just that IMO. Many PC games (like AC4 on PC) use this horrible combination.

EDIT: I have just seen the post about the Ready at Dawn specific AA. My fears are perfectly founded as it seems it's just a presentation of a new "blur" algorithm to reduce specualr Aliasing. Not even morphological apparently. Just a smart gaussian blur. Why do they even try to re-invent the wheel? Just pick the best morphological AA out there: SMAA. I would even prefer a light FXAA which is at least sub-pixel than any gaussian blur (vaseline).

Around the Network

Welcome to next gen where we still have to choose between resolution and AA -.-

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

ethomaz said:

HoloDust said:

Yeah, that's about right...performance difference between 2xMSAA and 4xMSAA is somewhere around 35%.

PS4 hardware is weak for 1080p with 4xMSAA... sad

Not too weak no. It easily strong enough to do 4X MSAA and 1080p if you want to trade asset quality for IQ. They just make a choice to have good enough IQ and better assets. It's the same with every peice of hardware. You have to make decisions about what's better overall.

"These are the highest quality pixels that anybody has seen"

so 800p and 30FPS? shame.
seriously, its not a big deal as long as the game looks great

globalisateur said:
ethomaz said:

From GAF.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764678

Glad the 4xMSAA is back... no more PS3 MLAA or FXAA... this was the biggest news ever for me.

1080p with 4xMSAA is MEGATON to me.

Everyone on Internet is mistaking the meaning of this tweet. It's not the resolution which is not set is stone, it's the 4xMSAA.

And you know they could still combine the great 4xMSAA with the shitty FXAA and completely wreck the image and they'll probably do just that IMO. Many PC games (like AC4 on PC) use this horrible combination.

EDIT: I have just seen the post about the Ready at Dawn specific AA. My fears are perfectly founded as it seems it's just a presentation of a new "blur" algorithm to reduce specualr Aliasing. Not even morphological apparently. Just a smart gaussian blur. Why do they even try to re-invent the wheel? Just pick the best morphological AA out there: SMAA. I would even prefer a light FXAA which is at least sub-pixel than any gaussian blur (vaseline).

I would expect 1080p with FXAA to look better than 800p with 4x MSAA. I know from my experience as a PC gamer resolution is more important than AA. But I trust Ready At Dawn, whatever they do will be for the best.

I do agree that FXAA can give a "milky" look though

I love that aspect ratio if used correctly, judging by that screenshot it's looking very promising. And they can still match native display res without any upscaling. 1920x800 is still higher resolution than 1600x900 (1652x930 to be exact)
I hope they put any hud info and/or dialog choices etc in the black bars.