By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii U will outsell the GC with just America

This thread will be fun to revive in a couple of months.

Around the Network
padib said:
JoeTheBro said:

I agree, but it's not even close to enough.

If Wii U reaches 20 million in the states it's going to be from Nintendo blowing our minds, not just a steady stream of great games.

I think there is more demand for Nintendo games than most people pretend. The 3DS is a good example of that: it doesn't have any mind-blowing games in terms of newness, but it is selling strongly, and that's due to Nintendo games and a few key 3rd party games. I don't see why it would be any different on the U. That, and the price needs to be cut soon.

The 3DS was a different story than the Wii U though. It was doing bad and everyone expected the competition to destroy it. Well the Vita flopped, the price cut did wonders, and it had an amazing first holiday.

Wii U was doing even worse and everyone expected the competition to destroy it. The difference is the competition seems to be doing great, the price cut it just had seems to be ignored, and it had a horrible holiday.

padib - in order to accomplish this then Wii U needs to sell about 10m in this calender year in US only. That would put totals 10m behind which would mean 7m for following year then 3m year after that. Considering it only sold about 1m last year then that would mean a 900% increase YoY. I dont see Wii U selling 4m in next Dec NPD. This feat is impossible as the math shows

Don't think so

I disagree, but I'm not going to be a dick about it. I do think it will surpass the gamecube's worldwide numbers easily. It is possible, we have no idea how long Nintendo plans to support this console. This is their first romp in to HD and we saw how long it took MS to stop support. Granted MS has third parties but Nintendo has a far larger stable of first party developers so it is up in the air

Around the Network

Fellow Nintendo fans, at this point this is clearly wishful thinking and very unlikely. Lets not make such predictions that would allow people to throw you in the same bin as the dreamers who think the Vita will reach 20 million.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Me personally, yes, I believe if they can turn it around, NA, which is usually their biggest market anyway, could pull out 20 million units LT. No, I don't think that's naive, and no, internet forum trolls aren't clever for snickering at the idea. Not in the slightest.

Regardless of what all the doom-n-gloom-train kids around these parts and elsewhere want to think, Nintendo ain't fuckin' going anywhere. Neither is the Wii U, and neither is Satoru Iwata. Wii U has a strong slate of 2014 software already, just from what we do know about, in the form of Wii Fit U, DKCR2, MK8, SBU, X, Yarn Yoshi, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, etc. That has been stated over and over again. And that's only the titles we know about. You'd have to be legally retarded to believe that there won't be at least a few more surprise titles revealed in the coming months also slated for this year.

Put those fucking games out, put out ads that people actually see, and make sure you have a MK8 bundle later this year, and Wii U is just dandy.

I wouldn't call it impossible, but I would call it improbable. The Gamcube had a way better launch year when it comes to exlusives, so I think that Wii U will eventually win over gamecube unless Nintendo drops the console, which I doubt. But Wii U overtaking the Gamecube only with it's US sales seems a bit far fetched.

Probably. Although not at the current rate. But Wii U has a lot more potential than Gamecube does.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.