By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii U will outsell the GC with just America

The N64 sold almost as much as the Gamecube in north america (http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/), but less than 13 millions in the rest of the world.

Outselling the Gamecube in the USA and selling less than 40 millions worldwide is not impossible.

Around the Network
Sh1nn said:
Dream_While_Awake said:

thoughts? 

This.

At this rate Wii U will be lucky to meet GC sales world wide.

My 8th gen collection

There is NO way that Wii U will sell 21 Million in America alone. A prediction like that is what I would call delusional. Nintendo just corrected their prediction from 9 Million to 2.8 Million Wii Us sold worldwide within a year from march 2013 to 2014. 21 Million in America is pure fantasy.

Nothing we've seen supports this. So definitely no.

padib said:
Somini said:

As stated in OP, Mario Kart 7 does.

There was a Mario Kart on GC too and it didnt sell 21 Million in America alone.

Around the Network
padib said:
Somini said:

Yes i saw the OP! You mean MK8, right? And it's still a NO. One game won't magically make the system sell 20 times better...

padib said:
Somini said:

The 3DS has a good chance at passing 20 million in the states. Wii U is not even close to 3DS numbers though. The worst 3DS month in the states was July 11 with 75k. Worst for Wii U so far was July 13 with 30k. Mario Kart 7 gave the 3DS a huge boost, but it won't be enough. 3DS sales in MK7's launch Dec were 1.6 million, or 2133% of its July sales. Assuming Mario Kart 8 launched last month and gave the Wii U a similar boost, the system would have only sold 640k in Dec.

Those numbers are only about 100k more than what it did.

padib said:
Netyaroze said:
padib said:
Somini said:

There was a Mario Kart on GC too and it didnt sell 21 Million in America alone.

What OP is saying is that even though games like Nintendogs are going down, Nintendo's traditional market increased thanks to the Wii.

So, even if the casual craze has left, games like Mario Kart 7 are still selling well. It has already surpassed Double Dash by a long margin.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=mario+kart&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

There is a Mario Kart on Wii U ?? I thought its not out yet.

padib said:
JoeTheBro said:

The 3DS has a good chance at passing 20 million in the states. Wii U is not even close to 3DS numbers though. The worst 3DS month in the states was July 11 with 75k. Worst for Wii U so far was July 13 with 30k. Mario Kart 7 gave the 3DS a huge boost, but it won't be enough. 3DS sales in MK7's launch Dec were 1.6 million, or 2133% of its July sales. Assuming Mario Kart 8 launched last month and gave the Wii U a similar boost, the system would have only sold 640k in Dec.

Those numbers are only about 100k more than what it did.

It doesn't change the fact that Mario Kart is now much greater a franchise than it was in the gamecube days, which is what OP is saying. Nintendo's games sell more today, so even if the U hasn't sold well so far, a game like MK8 can sell systems.

I think that's the point.

I agree, but it's not even close to enough.

If Wii U reaches 20 million in the states it's going to be from Nintendo blowing our minds, not just a steady stream of great games.

padib said:
Netyaroze said:

There is a Mario Kart on Wii U ?? I thought its not out yet.

It's coming out this year, it's Mario Kart 8. Mario Kart 7 is a good place to start for predictions.

You cant say for certain that the former Wii audience has still interest in a console game like Mario kart after all New Super mario Bros U wasnt even nearly as big as the Wii predecessors and the same can happen with Mario Kart on Wii U. I doubt it will reach even 30-40% of what the Wii Version sold which was 25 Million or some insane number.