By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii U will outsell the GC with just America

Maris said:
Captain_Tom said:
Hahahahahaha! You can "Think" all you want, but the fact is the Gamecube is selling better. Nothing to support your claims. Can Wii U make a "Comeback?" Yes. But it will be coming back up to Gamecube sales.

Wrong. The GameCube has sold a total of 0 units since 2007.

Everyone knows I meant alligned launches, but I'm sure you made yourself feel smart for a second there so it's ok...

Around the Network

Well anything is certainly possible, but I feel your prediction, for sales in just the US is probably off. I'll say at its current state, 13mil in the US. Though assuming that Nintendo changes itself and the Wii U image later (and it probably will) it could safely sell 18mil in the US, but that's just my prediction

Max King of the Wild said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
I think it will cause I still believe (I wont if 2014 sells worse the Gamecube's second year) that the reason the wiiU is selling this badly was due to a series of unfortunate events such as a lack of advertising for 8 months + after the release of the wiiU, bad press, no e3 show, terrible name and most importantly, lack of steady first party games...

2014 is looking to change that since they have started advertising last November and a steady stream of games are gonna come including MK8 and Smash Bros and etc... Without going into too much detail and before people quote me to say I am wrong and am an Idiot... If the wiiU doesn't =/surpass GC's second + first year combined sales by the end of 2014, then I would say its dooooomed

So you are expecting a 200% increase YoY? Because thats what it needs to sell for GC esque sales

Shhhhhhhh! Let them live in their fantasy world...

I will bet my account the OP is wrong.

I don't think that will happen, but I do think Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Zelda are enough to pull the Wii U to Gamecube numbers.

Around the Network

I think it will outsell the GC worldwide, but I doubt it Wii U's USA sales will be higher than GC's lifetime sales.

Max King of the Wild said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
I think it will cause I still believe (I wont if 2014 sells worse the Gamecube's second year) that the reason the wiiU is selling this badly was due to a series of unfortunate events such as a lack of advertising for 8 months + after the release of the wiiU, bad press, no e3 show, terrible name and most importantly, lack of steady first party games...

2014 is looking to change that since they have started advertising last November and a steady stream of games are gonna come including MK8 and Smash Bros and etc... Without going into too much detail and before people quote me to say I am wrong and am an Idiot... If the wiiU doesn't =/surpass GC's second + first year combined sales by the end of 2014, then I would say its dooooomed

So you are expecting a 200% increase YoY? Because thats what it needs to sell for GC esque sales

Yea, and I know its crazy but if it doesn't then the wiiU has no hope... If the two biggest games on Nintendo's catalog can't make magic happen, then nothing will... Not even Zelda U... I am not saying it has to be sustained year over year increase, just for 2014

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Wii U will sell more than Gamecube, probably less than N64.. I guess that is some minor victory. My main reasons are that the Mario and (probably) Zelda efforts on Wii U will be much better than the Gamecube iterations, and these are usually the main games that drive Nintendo hardware.

I also think Donkey Kong is underrated as a system seller.

The last game sold 6 millions on Wii and over 1 million on the 3DS.

But I think that after Zelda is released in 2015 Nintendo will have the problem they have nowadays on the 3DS, most of their big titles have already been released. All they will have for the rest of the life of the Wii U will be the minor franchises, like Metroid, Fire Emblem, Star Fox, F Zero or Punch Out, unless they do make a new Mario Galaxy, but the install base has to be big enough to merit such an investment.

Well, everything is possible. But after these sad news for nintendo I will keep pessimist visions. I bet at reaching 18m.Well, certainly it will outsell the GC WW numbers, and I hope it can reach ( or possible if a miracle happens) outsell the 64 WW numbers. We can't say with 100% sure that it won't happen, I hope it does.

PS: If that happens, it will make the wii U profitable? I don't know if the GC made a profit to nintendo. If it did , would be at least some good news to nintendo if the wiiU outsell the GC

Most antecipated games: Mario Kart 8 and Warlords of Draenor.