By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii U will outsell the GC with just America

Dream_While_Awake said:
oniyide said:

ok thats kind of a given. But i dont think that helps your overall point, as those Wii guys they gained probably havent stayed around, so it will probably go right back to GC sales, which would show no growth.

GC sold 21 Million

Wii sold 100 Million

Difference = 79 Million. Let's just assume that a good chunk comes from people who had more than one Wii.

Growth = 60 Million.

I don't expect all those people to come back I'd think at least a few million would once the price is right and the games are there. Of course, I could be wrong but I find it hard to believe EVERY single person is gone.

but you expect growth, youve already conceded that the new versions wont do the numbers that the WIi ones did, for their to be growth their has to actually be...growth. that means a rise in numbers not decline.

Around the Network

dude,this thing is on life support right now,the pulse is barely there.. one generation has nothing to do with the next. ask the ps3 that in comparison to ps2,and now wiiu from wii....

oniyide said:

but you expect growth, youve already conceded that the new versions wont do the numbers that the WIi ones did, for their to be growth their has to actually be...growth. that means a rise in numbers not decline.

I said growth since the GC days. I don't expect the sales to fall to below those levels with Wii U. It'll obviously fall in comparison to the Wii.

Dream_While_Awake said:
oniyide said:

I said growth since the GC days. I don't expect the sales to fall to below those levels with Wii U. It'll obviously fall in comparison to the Wii.

thats not growth, you cant speak a whole console generation to make your argument, thats not how it works. GCtoWIi growth. WiitoWiiU shrinkage.

Dream_While_Awake said:
oniyide said:

Most of the traditional Nintendo franchises saw little to no growth on Wii compared to N64/GC. Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, 3D Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Zelda, Battalion Wars all sold roughly what they did in previous generations despite having 5x the install base.

Look at the traditional Nintendo games that did see major growth on Wii. Smash Bros, Mario Kart, NSMB, Mario Party. What do these games have in common? 4 player simultanious multiplayer, thats what the Wii thrived on and these games fit right in with Wii Sports/Play and the entire Wii philosophy of easy to grasp games that are fun to play with a group of friends/family.

Now that Wii U no longer has the casual crowd these games will likely revert back to what they sold in previous generations. Smash Bros 5.5-7m, Mario Kart 7-10m, Mario Party 2m. There was no 2D Mario on N64/GC so we dont know how to gauge that one but as u can see its not going to come anywhere close to the Wii version.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

Most of the traditional Nintendo franchises saw little to no growth on Wii compared to N64/GC. Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, 3D Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Zelda, Battalion Wars all sold roughly what they did in previous generations despite having 5x the install base.

Look at the traditional Nintendo games that did see major growth on Wii. Smash Bros, Mario Kart, NSMB, Mario Party. What do these games have in common? 4 player simultanious multiplayer, thats what the Wii thrived on and these games fit right in with Wii Sports/Play and the entire Wii philosophy of easy to grasp games that are fun to play with a group of friends/family.

Now that Wii U no longer has the casual crowd these games will likely revert back to what they sold in previous generations. Smash Bros 5.5-7m, Mario Kart 7-10m, Mario Party 2m. There was no 2D Mario on N64/GC so we dont know how to gauge that one but as u can see its not going to come anywhere close to the Wii version.

It's just speculation but as I said, I don't think all 60 Million+ extra people have left. I'm assuming that some will come back. Everyone is thinking that everybody who didn't buy a GC but bought a Wii left. I don't think so but we'll see.

There`s a chance they can do it. But if the generation lasts the usual 5 years, i think it will be really hard to pull that off.

zorg1000 said:
Dream_While_Awake said:
oniyide said:

not to mention there is less emphasis on MP with WIi U considering you can use only one damn gamepad at a time and that is the system's (supposed) selling point

At the Wii U's current rate, I'd be honestly surprised if it reached 10m in NA, let alone 21m. I really don't think it'll happen, but maybe Nintendo will surprise us.

Dream_While_Awake said:
zorg1000 said:

It's just speculation but as I said, I don't think all 60 Million+ extra people have left. I'm assuming that some will come back. Everyone is thinking that everybody who didn't buy a GC but bought a Wii left. I don't think so but we'll see.

Why havent they come back yet? Wii U already has 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Wii Fit, Wii Party, Mario & Sonic Olympics, Just Dance, Zumba Fitness. Games in these series make up 12 of the 20 best selling Wii games. That leaves Wii Sports, Wii Play, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mario Party, Zelda and Donkey Kong to round out the Wii top 20.

Its not likely that Wii Play/Mario Party/Wii Sports will do much since there already are multiple minigame collections on Wii U like Nintendo Land, Game & Wario, Wii Party, Mario & Sonic Olympics. The Dance/Fitness audience cleary isnt coming based on Wii Fit/Just Dance/Zumba sales. That leaves traditional Nintendo games like Donkey Kong, Zelda, Smash Bros and Mario Kart which will only push Wii U to GC/N64 levels.

The only way that Nintendo can bring back the Wii crowd is to create another huge craze that hasnt been seen before. Currently there is nothing that should make u believe that is happening.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.