By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii U will outsell the GC with just America

Max King of the Wild said:

You believe wrong. GC was at 3.8m after the end of its first FY. Wii U was at 3.45

That ends in March. I was talking launch Holiday. Wii U sales died Q1 2013.

my points remain the same. Price and library are obviously in the GC's favor.

Around the Network
Dream_While_Awake said:
zorg1000 said:

Do u have any examples other than Mario Kart 7 that shows Nintendo games growing?

Mario Kart 7 > Mario Kart GBA

Mario 3D Land > Super Mario GBA

Zelda OOT3D > Zelda GBA

Fire Emblem Awakening > FE GBA

All with about half the userbase too. This isn't even lifetime sales as they are still selling.

Plus, Animal Crossing is certainly bigger than before. As long as Nintendo doesn't just remake New Leaf like they did with City Folk, it should be a big game. Donkey Kong also was M.I.A on the GC. (Jungle Beat wasn't even DK) Tropical Freeze will help sell systems in the longrun.

3D World might be selling pretty low at the moment but the price is holding it back IMO. Once the Wii U is cheaper, that game will be picked up along side many systems. 

The Mario games on GBA were all rereleases so thats not a fair comparison

OoT 3D did better than LTTP on GBA because OoT is by far the most popular Zelda title, not because Zelda is bigger now

Ur right about Fire Emblem but thats a very small franchise and only amounted to a 250k increase over the GBA installment, pretty negligible

There was no Animal Crossing on GBA to compare to but the Wii version didnt outsell the GC version by much despite having 5x the install base

DK Returns barely outsold DK64 despite 3x the install base

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

1) The Mario games on GBA were all rereleases so thats not a fair comparison

2) OoT 3D did better than LTTP on GBA because OoT is by far the most popular Zelda title, not because Zelda is bigger now

3) Ur right about Fire Emblem but thats a very small franchise and only amounted to a 250k increase over the GBA installment, pretty negligible

4) There was no Animal Crossing on GBA to compare to but the Wii version didnt outsell the GC version by much despite having 5x the install base

5) DK Returns barely outsold DK64 despite 3x the install base

1) I didn't know that. Fair enough.

2) It's also just a remake. I think that fact evens things out. If not, Zelda on Wii U should be better than Windwaker. Of course, this is both subjective and speculation.

3) True. I was just naming another series. I agree it won't make a difference.

4) Animal Crossing has definitely grown but we will see I guess. It went from a random new IP to growing a fanbase.

5) The N64 sold 20 Million in America. DK probably helped. The GC didn't have it. Wii U will. With DK, I wasn't saying he grew, I was just saying the GC didn't have one while Wii U will.

padib said:
zorg1000 said:

Im not so sure Nintendos franchises have grown that much look at NSMB on 3DS and Wii U, both are going to be down massively compared to last gen. Also Mario 3D World, its tracking behind every other 3D Mario game, even Sunshine which only sold 6.3m and released when GC had a similar install base to Wii U. Pikmin 3 doesnt look like it will sell better than the previous installments. Donkey Kong/Zelda/Metroid/Kirby all stayed relatively the same as the N64/GC era.

Do u have any examples other than Mario Kart 7 that shows Nintendo games growing?

I do, we have to realize that Mario really is the exception because it's currently over-saturated as a franchise.

Fire emblem on 3DS is doing much better so far. Small numbers, but the relative growth is what counts.

Animal Crossing is doing much better than the gamecube days

Smash is another example, the best-selling version was on the Wii sold almost double what sold for melee.

Twilight princess is another, which sold nearly as much as OoT despite the cube version, and outsold WW by almost 2 times.

I think that's enough to be honest.

Fire Emblem as a series is doing better because Ninty got smart and started releasing it in more places. It wasnt that long ago it was strictly Japan only

Animal Crossing is blowing up. 

Smash, lets not count our chickens before they hatch. i fully expect the Wii U one to NOT match Wii sales one. Then it cant be used.

TP nearly doesnt cut it. and you ignore SS which sold less, if anything we can say its on the decline. IMHO i dont see the Wii U one matching TP sales either. maybe Cube version by itself.

padib said:
oniyide said:

Fire Emblem as a series is doing better because Ninty got smart and started releasing it in more places. It wasnt that long ago it was strictly Japan only

Animal Crossing is blowing up. 

Smash, lets not count our chickens before they hatch. i fully expect the Wii U one to NOT match Wii sales one. Then it cant be used.

TP nearly doesnt cut it. and you ignore SS which sold less, if anything we can say its on the decline. IMHO i dont see the Wii U one matching TP sales either. maybe Cube version by itself.

SS follows the typical Zelda sequel trend, it doesn't count as you'd have to compare it to TP cube or Majora's mask.

AC is blowing up, you'll have to explain cause I don't get it.

Smash is part of a trend, whether you believe the U will follow or not it answer zorg's question.

For FE, you give a good reason, and maybe that's also part of why the others are doing better. However, even filtering in US, it's trending better (sorry, no gba in graph since gen 6). And this thread is about just america.

that makes no sense, you are trying to prove that the series has grown but then say that subsequent sequels on the same system do worst? that means the series hasnt grown. Hell the best selling in the series is STILL OoT thats just then N64 version released on a system with half the install base of Wii.

Animal Crossing is getting more popular. thats all.

what is this trend? because if Smash Wii U does worst than the Wii version (which it probably wil) that means the series did NOT grow. or it grew and shrank again but its the same effect as not growing.

FE ok fair enough

Around the Network
oniyide said:

I can't speak for anybody else but I personally was just saying their games have grown since the GC days. Not saying they will outsell their Wii counterparts. The userbase won't be there to do it. 

Dream_While_Awake said:
oniyide said:

I can't speak for anybody else but I personally was just saying their games have grown since the GC days. Not saying they will outsell their Wii counterparts. The userbase won't be there to do it. 

ok thats kind of a given. But i dont think that helps your overall point, as those Wii guys they gained probably havent stayed around, so it will probably go right back to GC sales, which would show no growth.

padib said:
zorg1000 said:

Im not so sure Nintendos franchises have grown that much look at NSMB on 3DS and Wii U, both are going to be down massively compared to last gen. Also Mario 3D World, its tracking behind every other 3D Mario game, even Sunshine which only sold 6.3m and released when GC had a similar install base to Wii U. Pikmin 3 doesnt look like it will sell better than the previous installments. Donkey Kong/Zelda/Metroid/Kirby all stayed relatively the same as the N64/GC era.

I do, we have to realize that Mario really is the exception because it's currently over-saturated as a franchise.

Fire emblem on 3DS is doing much better so far. Small numbers, but the relative growth is what counts.

Animal Crossing is doing much better than the gamecube days

Smash is another example, the best-selling version was on the Wii sold almost double what sold for melee.

Twilight princess is another, which sold nearly as much as OoT despite the cube version, and outsold WW by almost 2 times.

I think that's enough to be honest.

The thing is u guys are trying to say that Wii/DS have caused those franchises to grow since the GC era. We dont know yet if they really have grown or they just benefitted from a vastly larger install base.

Animal Crossing only saw slight growth on Wii compared to GC, there wasnt a GBA version to compare the handheld versions but the 3DS version likely wont pass the DS version.

As for Smash ot did see big growth but the next one is split among 2 platforms whoch could potentially eat into each others sales 

Twilight Princess sold less than Ocarina and Skyward Sword sold about the same as Majora despite 3x the install base

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

oniyide said:

ok thats kind of a given. But i dont think that helps your overall point, as those Wii guys they gained probably havent stayed around, so it will probably go right back to GC sales, which would show no growth.

GC sold 21 Million

Wii sold 100 Million

Difference = 79 Million. Let's just assume that a good chunk comes from people who had more than one Wii.

Growth = 60 Million.

I don't expect all those people to come back I'd think at least a few million would once the price is right and the games are there. Of course, I could be wrong but I find it hard to believe EVERY single person is gone.

Dream While Awake? Well... It sells more on Japan, so you basically are saying it would do 21M on NA what would led to more than 50M globally, maybe even higher? It would be lucky if it outsells the GC with their entire global numbers.