By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Wii U will outsell the GC with just America

Max King of the Wild said:

So you are expecting a 200% increase YoY? Because thats what it needs to sell for GC esque sales

Yes I am. At least in America.

Captain_Tom said:

Shhhhhhhh! Let them live in their fantasy world...

Captain_Tom said:
I will bet my account the OP is wrong.

Fantasy world? It's just a prediction so it's not a big deal. No need to bet your account. Thanks for sharing your thoughts though.

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Yea, and I know its crazy but if it doesn't then the wiiU has no hope... If the two biggest games on Nintendo's catalog can't make magic happen, then nothing will... Not even Zelda U... I am not saying it has to be sustained year over year increase, just for 2014

okay, let me ask you this way... do you really thin k Wii U will rach 1.5m in Dec in Us only this year? in order to have a 200% increase for the year then it needs to triple its numbers for the yearve

I think they made a good profit with the N64, and a very small one with the Gamecube. Nintendo did very well as a company those years because of their handhelds, they had the Pokemon phenomenon of the late 90s, and with the Gamecube they were saved by the GBA.
Nowadays making games is much more expensive, and they were losing money on every Wii U according to the last information available.
I hope Wii U stops being a stone tied to the neck of Nintendo.

Yea, and I know its crazy but if it doesn't then the wiiU has no hope... If the two biggest games on Nintendo's catalog can't make magic happen, then nothing will... Not even Zelda U... I am not saying it has to be sustained year over year increase, just for 2014

okay, let me ask you this way... do you really thin k Wii U will rach 1.5m in Dec in Us only this year? in order to have a 200% increase for the year then it needs to triple its numbers for the yearve

Realisticly... No... But the wiiU has to do it in order for me to not label it being as doomed as the Vita... If it doesn't I will label it as a doomed console... I will still play games on it and etc, but its not gonna be a successful console in my eyes just like the Vita

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Dream_While_Awake said:

I believe that the American Wii U sales will be more than the world wide GC sales when all is said and done.

I say this because of a few reasons:

1) Nintendo's series have grown since the GC despite what people want to think. Yes, the DS & Wii had huge sales which in return pushed games. Yet, it is obvious that certain games have reached a larger audience, increasing potential buyers. This is why Mario Kart 7 for example has already outsold its GBA counterpart despite the 3DS having significantly less sales so far. Mario Kart 8 will be much bigger than most people on here expect.

2) The gaming industry has grown and is now much bigger than it was in 2001. This alone will help with sales in the longrun.

3) The Wii U is still $300 which is more than the GC's launch price. It will be lowered eventually and this will increase sales. 

4) The GC never had an add-on while I fully expect the Wii U to have either that or a redesign which should help push sales.

thoughts? 

Absolutely not.

Frankly, Nintendo franchises and a price cut should definitely help, but not nearly enough to push the kind of numbers you're suggesting. Cutting them by at least a quarter, if not a third, would be the best they could likely hope for.

As for add-ons, I can't conceive of anything tying into the Wii U to sell systems in those numbers.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Around the Network

Okay, fun with math time. GC sold 21.74m units Ww. Wii U hassold 2.09m units US only so far. In order for the Wii U to match GC sales it needs another 19.65m units in US. Considering it has a MAX of 4 years left that means it needs to sell about 5m a year in US which averages about 400k a month starting now. Considering it only passed that mark once in 14months and was Dec, it wont do that again anytime soon. Considering this will be its peak year then it needs to sell near double that this year to make up the amount lost while its on its death bed (last two years).

Put shortly, noway in fucking hell

Realisticly... No... But the wiiU has to do it in order for me to not label it being as doomed as the Vita... If it doesn't I will label it as a doomed console... I will still play games on it and etc, but its not gonna be a successful console in my eyes just like the Vita

Keep an eye in Japan. Everytime it doesnt sell in the 30k range means it needs to be made up that much more in US. I am betting Wii U will at best double its sales YoY which means way under GC

That would be like 40 million ww.

Maybe...

JoeTheBro said:

Maybe...

more like 61m

JoeTheBro said:

Maybe...

more like 61m

Maybe...