By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft: Over 3 million Xbox One's Sold to Consumers in 2013

Rockyb said:
the ps4 has sold more hehe

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
DonFerrari said:
About the yield issues (that I don't agree) Foxcomm could be producing 5m chips to have 3m consoles because ofyield and we wouldn't know because we would still see great sellings and some sitting in stock.

The logical of good sales+ stock = impossible to have yield issues is the same as saying since consoles at launch cost about the same in numerical value them inflation doesn't exist

The point was that the yield issues was supposed to be so bad it would hurt supply.  Its a non story made up by gaf.  There is ZERO evidence.

Yep... regarding MS unable to supply Xbone IFFFF there was any issue this serious it was sorted long ago or MS used a whole lot of cash to cover it with overpoduction (what I doubt for a "almost" out-of-shelf as is PS4)... So yep maybe at the time it could have turned true (small possibility), but after launch it is dumb to be certain it happened in such a large scale.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

ganoncrotch said:
DonFerrari said:
Mummelid:
ganoncrotch said
litude said:
Just shows that Xbox One hater "vocal minority" really was a vocal minority.

"We got them now...hit them with DRM captain!"

Well I'd say the people being vocal about what they didn't like about the X1 after its reveal made the console take a few 180s and become something that people can accept in their home and support. If people hadn't been vocal and just effectively walked away when they were dissappointed there is no way the system would be over 3million sales now.

People Cried, Microsoft listened and reacted. Good Job both parties I say.

Indeed, Microsoft are a lot more eager to please their customers than many seem to believe. Their customer service is known to be world class and the way they handled the RROD issue is unprecedented in the history of consumer electronics.

Maybe bwcause they were the first majo producer to release with such ludicrous failure rate?

Well yeah it was a pretty bad hardware failure, but microsoft fully took the brunt of that failure out of their own pockets, I think they set aside something like a billion dollars to make sure their repair centers never took more than 3 weeks to get a system back up and running. I had 2 RRoD experiences and never paid a cent with the exception of 1 phone call to move my licenses to the 3rd console because there was a limit on the number of times you could shift licenses in 12 months. Compare that to a psp which just stopped working and went in the bin instead of paying 70euros to repair it... I know which one upset me more. In terms of customer service MS are pretty boss at it.

You do know how longe took MS to aknowledge the issue right? And that a lot of owners had to buy a second X360 because MS didn't assumed the fault?? And that they done it because of massive class-action lawsuit.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

superchunk said:
BMaker11 said:

even though in the grand scheme of things, a statistician would say the values are the "same" and ignore the difference, since samplings are statistically insignificant at +/- 0.5%; 3.01 is higher than 2.9, and if you don't unequivocally accept the higher number over the statistically insignificant lower number, you're just flaming the poor old XBone because you're a biased Sony fan. Obviously.

Of course 3>2.9, but my point is that it doesn't matter.

VGCs rounded down 2.9 is just as accurate as MSs 'more than 3m'.

The only point anyone should get out of any of this is that Xbone sold about 3m.

I'm not saying its good or bad (its actually just fine). The couple months just after launch are not as big of an indicator of anything anyways. Kinda why my comparison thread goes to the end of the 2nd xmas.

.... or obviously I'm just a flaming sony fan.

oh, no dude I was agreeing with you. I was just making fun of how you got jumped for, I dunno what to say....."preference"(??) to the 2.9x figure instead of absolutely accepting the "over 3.xx" figure. Statitistically, within margin of error, the figures are the same. But you got responded to multiple times making it seem like the XBone sold substantially less than what MS said. Unless you post about how great 3.xx million sold is, you're assumed to undersell the accomplishment.

Look to the post kowen made directly under your comment that I'm replying to. You said selling 3M was just fine. "Just fine? What do you mean? 3M is MASSIVE! Just because your number is bigger doesn't mean mine is shitty" is essentially the vibe I got from that one. Nobody even said 3M was bad, but you didn't say it's the greatest thing ever either, you jerk =/

DialgaMarine said:
Mr Puggsly said:
DialgaMarine said:
I'd be way more inclined to believe there's 3M shipped, unless M$ just shipped that many. Every retail store I've visited in the last month has had plenty in stock, but no PS4's. It makes me interested to hear the official word from Sony.

The article clearly says over 3 million sold to consumers. It doesn't say X1 is completely sold out.

It kindof did when M$ said the cosnole was sold out at a majority of retailers and that they were struggling to keep up supply stock.

Maybe its sold out at 51% of retailers. That's a majority.

Granted, its easy to find a X1. That should be expected given its $500. Its also a bigger success at $500 than people anticipated.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Basically what VGC has, GJ VGC.

DonFerrari said:
ganoncrotch said:
DonFerrari said:
Mummelid:
ganoncrotch said
litude said:

Well I'd say the people being vocal about what they didn't like about the X1 after its reveal made the console take a few 180s and become something that people can accept in their home and support. If people hadn't been vocal and just effectively walked away when they were dissappointed there is no way the system would be over 3million sales now.

Indeed, Microsoft are a lot more eager to please their customers than many seem to believe. Their customer service is known to be world class and the way they handled the RROD issue is unprecedented in the history of consumer electronics.

Maybe bwcause they were the first majo producer to release with such ludicrous failure rate?

Well yeah it was a pretty bad hardware failure, but microsoft fully took the brunt of that failure out of their own pockets, I think they set aside something like a billion dollars to make sure their repair centers never took more than 3 weeks to get a system back up and running. I had 2 RRoD experiences and never paid a cent with the exception of 1 phone call to move my licenses to the 3rd console because there was a limit on the number of times you could shift licenses in 12 months. Compare that to a psp which just stopped working and went in the bin instead of paying 70euros to repair it... I know which one upset me more. In terms of customer service MS are pretty boss at it.

You do know how longe took MS to aknowledge the issue right? And that a lot of owners had to buy a second X360 because MS didn't assumed the fault?? And that they done it because of massive class-action lawsuit.

Well the issue came up almost instantly and the system was covered by a 12 month manufactures warrenty at least here in Ireland, before that 1 year ran out Microsoft announced that they were extending the warrenty here by 2 years to cover RRoD failures. Like I said, been there, dont that.... twice. Never paid a penny.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

kowenicki said:
Sony announcement of 3.Xm in

Doubt it. Sony is selling in too many markets to be able to provide a figure accurate to the nearest hundred thousand. I think Sony will announce "over 5 million sold (meaning shipped)" whenever that happens, or if it's close to the end of the FY they'll just release their FY shipment number. Other than that I don't think Sony will release numbers. Which gives MS a bit of an open feild with being able to reasonably accurately track sell through because of it's smaller number of markets with better sales tracking (one assumes) in those markets and thus being able to regularly announce sell through milestones. Though the next sell through milestone is surely 5 million also, as it would start to get a bit tiresome putting out a press release for every million sold.

Good job with tracking VGC. "Over 3 million" could only mean 3,000,001 (doubtful of course) so with 2 days left of 2013 and VGC showing 2.88 million it's quite on the cards that VGC tracking will be very close to 3 million...but we'll never know the year Xb one crossed 3 million according to VGC unless future adjustments put it at 3 million for W/E 28 Dec.

Same with PS4 and 4 million, we'll never know for sure if PS4 crossed 4 million before 1 Jan 2014. Did it sell 100K between 29 and 31 Dec?

Deliciously confounding for both consoles, except for MS ruining the mystery for Xb one with its press release.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

ganoncrotch said:
DonFerrari said:
ganoncrotch said:
DonFerrari said:
Mummelid:
ganoncrotch said
litude said:

Well the issue came up almost instantly and the system was covered by a 12 month manufactures warrenty at least here in Ireland, before that 1 year ran out Microsoft announced that they were extending the warrenty here by 2 years to cover RRoD failures. Like I said, been there, dont that.... twice. Never paid a penny.

Let's not get all sentimental and start thinking these companies are so generous and kind. MS only did right by the consumer out of economic (and in some countries legal) necessity. If they hadn't given that 3 year cover Xbox 360 would probably have failed as a console and MS would be gone from the console business. The bean counters crunched the numbers and decided that a 3-year warrantee was the best cost-benefit response to the high failure rate if MS was determined to stay in the console race. The bean counters probably recommended that MS cut its losses and drop the Xbox business like a hot potato, but the powers that be in MS weren't going to have a bar of that. And aside from bloody FPS dominance it was good that MS didn't exit stage right.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Together, we ushered in a new era of games and entertainment with Xbox One. Over 3 million Xbox One consoles were sold to consumers in 13 countries before the end of 2013. It’s been incredible to see Xbox One selling at a record-setting pace for Xbox, and we were honored to see Xbox One become the fastest-selling console in the U.S. during our launch month in November. Since our launch, demand for Xbox One has been strong, selling out throughout the holidays at most retailers worldwide. We are continuing to work hard to deliver additional consoles to retailers as fast as possible.

How much of this announcement can we believe?  It's doesn't seem to be selling out in the US for around 3 weeks, and certainly not in Europe.

My 8th gen collection