By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft: Over 3 million Xbox One's Sold to Consumers in 2013

just like my .....

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
toastboy44562 said:

Wii U sold 1.8 million in 2012 there goes that. Xbox One sold almost twice that in 1/4 the regions. Xbox One will sell 10 million+ next year for certain with a price cut and Halo

Wii U sold 2.3m in 2012 and 3.2m by March 2013.

Xbone (and many others) outsold Wii U and others could have outsold Xbone too had stock existed.

PS3 could easily have done it had they launched in EU vs Japan with the same stock as PS4... and that is a $600 console.
360 could have likely done it as well.

I doubt anyone would argue Wii would have sold 10m+ had it had it in stock in Nov/Dec launch.

Hell, I'll bet right now the majority of consoles releasing in the next launch cycle (if in Nov) will beat the 3m-4m range.

Its just the natural progression of better pre-orders (that didn't exist in earlier console cycles) and better manufacturing. Especially considering MSony used more off-the-shelf style components than almost any other console in history.

kowenicki said:

Keep going.

$499. 3m sold in 6 weeks.

Its a massive launch.

There is nothing unusual about those numbers at all. We know both companies can manufacture roughly the same numbers per week. We know they started mass manufacturing around the same time (give or take 2-3 weeks). We know both companies have enough diehard fans that will buy the beloved console no matter what. We know both companies can sell everything they manufacture to its diehard fanbase for several weeks, who cares if it sells out in an hour or a day...

Wake me up in about 2-3 months when the diehard fanboys are fed and sales drop to levels that are meaningful to the discussion. Like: Will the numbers show that "ordinary" fans switch allegiance...

I'm not trying to take anything away from Microsoft here but in the 1st 6 weeks the Wii U sold 2.3 million. Even if it did hit 3 million in 6 weeks thats only outdoing it by 700k, which is a nice little win but in the scheme of a whole generation, that really doesnt mean much. Considering the amount of marketing Microsoft put out there, I would actually hope they did this well. The real key now will be just how low do their sales drop now that we are out of the holiday season.

DonFerrari said:
About the yield issues (that I don't agree) Foxcomm could be producing 5m chips to have 3m consoles because ofyield and we wouldn't know because we would still see great sellings and some sitting in stock.

The logical of good sales+ stock = impossible to have yield issues is the same as saying since consoles at launch cost about the same in numerical value them inflation doesn't exist

I guess it turned out that the yield issue is only when compared to the PS4.  So, it's more that MS can't produce as many chips as Sony per wafer, since theirs is a larger die, than it is an actual issue with production.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
DialgaMarine said:
I'd be way more inclined to believe there's 3M shipped, unless M$ just shipped that many. Every retail store I've visited in the last month has had plenty in stock, but no PS4's. It makes me interested to hear the official word from Sony.

The article clearly says over 3 million sold to consumers. It doesn't say X1 is completely sold out.

It kindof did when M$ said the cosnole was sold out at a majority of retailers and that they were struggling to keep up supply stock.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

kowenicki said:

I'm in bed with MS because I think the second or third biggest console launch ever is better than "just fine"? 

ok.

You're also tossing out all other factors and how conditions have changed in 2013 than what they were in 2005 and previous generations.

Xbone sold ~3m in 2013... with plenty of stock still on shelves... with a massive pre-order campaign not heard of until this generation.

PS360 could have beat that had they been in stock for all of Nov/Dec. They weren't.
PS3 could have easily been at its 4m PS4 mark had it launched in Europe+NA vs Japan+NA... yet they knew they didn't have the stock to meet demand.
PS2, N64, ... and I could go on.. could all beat 3m easily had they had stock + the same type of marketing/pre-order platforms that now exist in the retail market which allow companies to better determine manufacturing levels vs being more cautious.

Its just not that big of a deal.

What's important is the next 12 months.

Will it keep a steady pace like PS360? Will it explode like Wii? Will it deflate and fall flat like WiiU?

That's what is exciting.

kowenicki said:
colafitte said:

What i'm thinking he's trying to say is, if a console like WiiU was capable of selling 3 million in 2012...3 million Xbox One's or even 4 million PS4's in the same period of time is not as impressive anymore...., and i'm kinda agree with him.... In my case, i will wait next christmas to be impressed by both, or not.

It wasn't.  3m shipped,  2.2m sold.

Not even close to 3m. 

Ok my bad, i remembered wrong WiiU numbers, i must confused them with shipment numbers, but even 2'2 million units...., we are talking WiiU..., a console that sold in 2013 the same as Ps Vita. If a failure like WiiU was able to sell 2'2 million in 2012....

So, in your opinion, 2'2m is not even close to 3m. Microsoft can say is a huge victory over WiiU, but..., if PS4 have sold around 4 million, Microsoft should be happy  to be beaten by a larger number than what they've beaten WiiU like you said in another post??? If WiiU is not even close of Xbox One numbers, ...are Xbox One numbers not even close of Ps4 numbers too??.

The definition of amazing, impressive, massive...., are always relative to expectations...To me, the only numbers that can be amazing are PS4 numbers, and even with that, i'm not amazed, because i know this few weeks should not be taken too seriously to foresee sales after seeing what happened with WiiU last year.

superchunk said:
kowenicki said:

I'm in bed with MS because I think the second or third biggest console launch ever is better than "just fine"? 

ok.

You're also tossing out all other factors and how conditions have changed in 2013 than what they were in 2005 and previous generations.

Xbone sold ~3m in 2013... with plenty of stock still on shelves... with a massive pre-order campaign not heard of until this generation.

PS360 could have beat that had they been in stock for all of Nov/Dec. They weren't.
PS3 could have easily been at its 4m PS4 mark had it launched in Europe+NA vs Japan+NA... yet they knew they didn't have the stock to meet demand.
PS2, N64, ... and I could go on.. could all beat 3m easily had they had stock + the same type of marketing/pre-order platforms that now exist in the retail market which allow companies to better determine manufacturing levels vs being more cautious.

Its just not that big of a deal.

What's important is the next 12 months.

Will it keep a steady pace like PS360? Will it explode like Wii? Will it deflate and fall flat like WiiU?

That's what is exciting.

first few months from now on will be quite uneventfull, aside from launches in additional countries.

now slowly waiting till both can match demand

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:

first few months from now on will be quite uneventfull, aside from launches in additional countries.

now slowly waiting till both can match demand

Aside from new territories, I think Xbone has already met demand. I find them in stock all the time at most stores I go to since a week before xmas.

PS4 will likely calm down over next week or two as late xmas shoppers finally get one.

Quick example:

4 out of 10 Best Buys have them in stock to pick right now. (rest say generic 3 to 5 days)
10 out of 10 Walmarts (within 50miles) say pick up today.
16 closest Gamestops to my zip code all have them in stock as well.

Fact is, Xbone has met demand in US and thus anywhere it has launched. So the important thing to watch is next 12 months.