By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft: Over 3 million Xbox One's Sold to Consumers in 2013

BMaker11 said:

even though in the grand scheme of things, a statistician would say the values are the "same" and ignore the difference, since samplings are statistically insignificant at +/- 0.5%; 3.01 is higher than 2.9, and if you don't unequivocally accept the higher number over the statistically insignificant lower number, you're just flaming the poor old XBone because you're a biased Sony fan. Obviously.

Of course 3>2.9, but my point is that it doesn't matter.

VGCs rounded down 2.9 is just as accurate as MSs 'more than 3m'.

The only point anyone should get out of any of this is that Xbone sold about 3m.

I'm not saying its good or bad (its actually just fine). The couple months just after launch are not as big of an indicator of anything anyways. Kinda why my comparison thread goes to the end of the 2nd xmas.

.... or obviously I'm just a flaming sony fan.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

"Just fine"?

It isn't just fine.  It is a massive number.  The fact that PS4 is higher (an incredible number) doesn't diminish this achievement.

I don't see how its massive or incredible.

Quite a few other consoles could have easily done that had the company's produced enough.

Its only the immediate launch window during the biggest selling frenzy of the year.

PS360 could have done those numbers.

Wii could have tripled them.

I think its good, just not OMG!!!1111ELEVEn.

kowenicki said:

The point was that the yield issues was supposed to be so bad it would hurt supply.

Nobody supposed that. I explained where the yield issue rumour came from in at least two threads. The yield thing was real, it was expected by MS, it had no influence on supply issues. End of story.

the ps4 has sold more hehe

kowenicki said:
superchunk said:
kowenicki said:

"Just fine"?

It isn't just fine.  It is a massive number.  The fact that PS4 is higher (an incredible number) doesn't diminish this achievement.

Quite a few other consoles could have easily done that had the company's produced enough.

Its only the immediate launch window during the biggest selling frenzy of the year.

Well you've moved from "just fine" to "good" now.

Keep going.

$499. 3m sold in 6 weeks.

Its a massive launch.

What i'm thinking he's trying to say is, if a console like WiiU was capable of selling 3 million in 2012...3 million Xbox One's or even 4 million PS4's in the same period of time is not as impressive anymore...., and i'm kinda agree with him.... In my case, i will wait next christmas to be impressed by both, or not.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
kowenicki said:

"Just fine"?

Well, there you go then...

colafitte said:
kowenicki said:
superchunk said:
kowenicki said:

"Just fine"?

Keep going.

Its a massive launch.

What i'm thinking he's trying to say is, if a console like WiiU was capable of selling 3 million in 2012...3 million Xbox One's or even 4 million PS4's in the same period of time is not as impressive anymore...., and i'm kinda agree with him.... In my case, i will wait next christmas to be impressed by both, or not.

Wii U sold 1.8 million in 2012 there goes that. Xbox One sold almost twice that in 1/4 the regions. Xbox One will sell 10 million+ next year for certain with a price cut and Halo

Landguy said:
You can never agree on total sales to consumers on this site. It is pretty clear with todays inventory management systems, that at the end of any given day that M$ or Sony can get the total of all sales for that given day at almost every retailer worldwide. So, when people say that Sony or M$ are just guessing, it is beyond funny. 15 years ago, I ran Best Buy stores in Minnesota here in the US. The Best Buy Corporate HQ is right here. At my computer in the store, I had access to the total daily sales of any product for about 120 stores. If I wanted more info, I could call a friend that worked at corporate HQ and he could give me total sales for the whole company. That was 15 years ago. You guys think it is hard for Microsoft or Sony to have a relationship with the few hundred companies that actually sell their products to get a few key items daily/weekly/yearly totals? It would only take a couple of hours work to put the totals together EVERY day.

They likley have agreements with the larger retalers... but not everyone. They sample the data like everyone else. Not to mention they don't have on-demand numbers. No retailer is going to give someone they buy stuff from on-demand info.

So MS gets some info, extrapolates that vs the shipping and uses that to get an idea of what it should be and then makes vague statemetns like "over 3m".

I worked retial for a decade too. Obviously the retailers know exactly what was sold... but that is company private information. Not something they just hand out to everyone.

kowenicki said:

Keep going.

Its a massive launch.

lol sometimes you're soooo in bed with MS.

just fine and good are equal to me.

User was moderated for this post [RH]

It was massive

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.