By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft: Over 3 million Xbox One's Sold to Consumers in 2013

DonFerrari said:
Mummelid:
ganoncrotch said
litude said:
Just shows that Xbox One hater "vocal minority" really was a vocal minority.

"We got them now...hit them with DRM captain!"

Well I'd say the people being vocal about what they didn't like about the X1 after its reveal made the console take a few 180s and become something that people can accept in their home and support. If people hadn't been vocal and just effectively walked away when they were dissappointed there is no way the system would be over 3million sales now.

People Cried, Microsoft listened and reacted. Good Job both parties I say.

Indeed, Microsoft are a lot more eager to please their customers than many seem to believe. Their customer service is known to be world class and the way they handled the RROD issue is unprecedented in the history of consumer electronics.

Maybe bwcause they were the first majo producer to release with such ludicrous failure rate?

Well yeah it was a pretty bad hardware failure, but microsoft fully took the brunt of that failure out of their own pockets, I think they set aside something like a billion dollars to make sure their repair centers never took more than 3 weeks to get a system back up and running. I had 2 RRoD experiences and never paid a cent with the exception of 1 phone call to move my licenses to the 3rd console because there was a limit on the number of times you could shift licenses in 12 months. Compare that to a psp which just stopped working and went in the bin instead of paying 70euros to repair it... I know which one upset me more. In terms of customer service MS are pretty boss at it.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

A good news Xbox One thread? Xbox Haters Assemble!

That's a good number of consoles sold. No one can knock that. Give credit where it is due.

Considering that PS4 is matching Xbox one in the US and smashing it in Europe I can't wait for the PS4 figures.

Console gaming is dead.....

Any good news is good for the industry. Good to hear.

BTW, shitty pic OP, That guy has a retard happy look on his face that made me laugh while at work... So yeah everyone knows I wasnt working then. :)

Oh, and I think VGChartz did a fine job with those xbone figures. 2.9m on the 28th Dec 2013 v 3.0m in 2013 is pretty damn close.

That gives me less reason to doubt that the PS4 sales recorded here are far off the mark.

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
Mr Puggsly said:
DialgaMarine said:
I'd be way more inclined to believe there's 3M shipped, unless M$ just shipped that many. Every retail store I've visited in the last month has had plenty in stock, but no PS4's. It makes me interested to hear the official word from Sony.

The article clearly says over 3 million sold to consumers. It doesn't say X1 is completely sold out.

It kindof did when M$ said the cosnole was sold out at a majority of retailers and that they were struggling to keep up supply stock.

Yea, that is definite PR junk, as it probably is speaking of US only.  Even then, that's pretty inaccurate, as most, if not all, online retailers have stock.  And there are quite a few retail stores that still have stock.

Sure they have, lol

kowenicki said:
colafitte said:

Ok my bad, i remembered wrong WiiU numbers, i must confused them with shipment numbers, but even 2'2 million units...., we are talking WiiU..., a console that sold in 2013 the same as Ps Vita. If a failure like WiiU was able to sell 2'2 million in 2012....

So, in your opinion, 2'2m is not even close to 3m. Microsoft can say is a huge victory over WiiU, but..., if PS4 have sold around 4 million, Microsoft should be happy  to be beaten by a larger number than what they've beaten WiiU like you said in another post??? If WiiU is not even close of Xbox One numbers, ...are Xbox One numbers not even close of Ps4 numbers too??.

The definition of amazing, impressive, massive...., are always relative to expectations...To me, the only numbers that can be amazing are PS4 numbers, and even with that, i'm not amazed, because i know this few weeks should not be taken too seriously to foresee sales after seeing what happened with WiiU last year.

Why are you putting words in my mouth, where am i downplaying PS4 numbers... I think you need to check my earlier post.

The One outsold the WiiU by 36%  thats is a significant margin

The PS4 has probably (if 4m) outsold the ONE by 33%, again a significant margin.

If you think the PS4 sales are amazing, then you must think the ONE numbers are very good at least, you must.

My problem was with slimebeast and his "just fine".  I understand he is smarting from poor WiiU numbers but that shouldn't colour his judgement.

Maybe i expressed myself wrong...., I'm not saying you were downplaying PS4 numbers....I was putting in doubt the concept of Microsoft being happy because they've sold 3 million until now, when your main competitor is selling better.

Xbox One is in an unfair situation because Xbox One numbers are great, very good, indeed, but after PS3 and Xbox 360...both PS4 and Xbox One should start at the same level of expectations (or should have been prior announcements). Xbox One is like Cristiano Ronaldo in football, or Alonso in F1...., they're both very good, made a lot of accomplishments but they always end 2nd, beaten by Messi and Vettel respectively.

Xbox One could be the best 2nd console launch ever, but if you're Microsoft, and you want to be the number 1 in everything, being 2nd launch ever is not enough. MIcrosoft shouldn't be worried, don't take me wrong, but i don't know if happy is the correct word....

And respecting the concept of Xbox doing "just fine", i think this is the case, they meet the demand and are selling a lot. The one who is not doing fine is Sony if is true PS4 demand is way higher. PS3 and Xbox 360 launch were awful too to put them in the same sentence.

Edit: And respecting the word "happy", i read it in other post of yours..., but i don't know where..., there are too many similars threads like this right now.

Is anyone really shocked though that Xbones have been selling great, atleast for now. The trends for game sales on PS3/360 the last few years has been a huge pop when they are released, followed by almost nothing in sales and then a huge price cut (see Duke Nukem lmao). I don't see why the trend would be any different for the consoles. Same goes for the 3DS. Pokemon usually doesn't sell 10 million in a week, but they consistently keep selling over the course of many months, and before you know it it is one of the best selling games ever. The 3DS console has pretty much gone that way too.

superchunk said:
Landguy said:
You can never agree on total sales to consumers on this site. It is pretty clear with todays inventory management systems, that at the end of any given day that M$ or Sony can get the total of all sales for that given day at almost every retailer worldwide. So, when people say that Sony or M$ are just guessing, it is beyond funny. 15 years ago, I ran Best Buy stores in Minnesota here in the US. The Best Buy Corporate HQ is right here. At my computer in the store, I had access to the total daily sales of any product for about 120 stores. If I wanted more info, I could call a friend that worked at corporate HQ and he could give me total sales for the whole company. That was 15 years ago. You guys think it is hard for Microsoft or Sony to have a relationship with the few hundred companies that actually sell their products to get a few key items daily/weekly/yearly totals? It would only take a couple of hours work to put the totals together EVERY day.

They likley have agreements with the larger retalers... but not everyone. They sample the data like everyone else. Not to mention they don't have on-demand numbers. No retailer is going to give someone they buy stuff from on-demand info.

So MS gets some info, extrapolates that vs the shipping and uses that to get an idea of what it should be and then makes vague statemetns like "over 3m".

I worked retial for a decade too. Obviously the retailers know exactly what was sold... but that is company private information. Not something they just hand out to everyone.

True and not true.  Sure,Microsoft wouldn't be able to get sales figures for products that aren't theirs.  But getting detailed reports of new and highly sought after products is not uncommon.  If a retailer wants to keep a product in stock, they provide as much info as possible.  For mega corporations that supply hundreds if not thousands of products to retailers, they get whatever info they desire about their product sales.  It wasn't uncommon for vendor reps to come into my store and ask where the 7 copies of this or that is, as they showed our inventory should have that many.  Knowing how many of the product is on the shelf is more important than a lot of bits of info.  Even if they don't get daily updates(which during the holidays was very important), weekly updates are essential.  At best buy, the inventory system(15yrs ago) couldn't give you up to the minute sales on certain items(skus).  During the holidays we had to email into the regional office a list of about 40 key skus every 2 hours.  That way they knew if certain factors impacted sales throughout the day.  They also would change orders and redirect product up to the last minute.  Most of the employees in the stores were oblivious to how much detail was being extracted from every sale in the store.

It is near the end of the end....