By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is VGChartz's opinion on Final Fantasy X?

Tagged games:

darkknightkryta said:

Finally, SOMEONE gets it.

thanks!  I don't think that should warrant a tears of joy applause man, but yeah!  I don't know why people hate squall right through to the end, same with other 'annoying' characters.  

Vaan and Penelo had a completely different reason for being boring.  They were meant as player analogues.  I see no reason they couldn't have been better characters, but they were designed as outsiders to the main conflict, not movers and shakers.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
darkknightkryta said:

thanks!  I don't think that should warrant a tears of joy applause man, but yeah!  I don't know why people hate squall right through to the end, same with other 'annoying' characters.  

Vaan and Penelo had a completely different reason for being boring.  They were meant as player analogues.  I see no reason they couldn't have been better characters, but they were designed as outsiders to the main conflict, not movers and shakers.  

I quite liked Squall, and found him very relatable.

Tied for my 2nd fav game of all time with Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time.

Jay Sherman quote: "It Stinks!"

Runa216 said:
darkknightkryta said:

I like to exaggerate things XD

Around the Network

To be honest FFX was the beggining of what is wrong with jrpg's today. It was basically the start of the corridor jrpg. At the time i thought that was bad, comparing it with previous titles.
With how low the bar has been set nowadays with subsequent titles, its easier to see some of the things that werent so bad about ffx. Namely the combat and the story.

In retrospect, it wasnt terrible, but j developers managed to only take what was bad from it and give it continuation.

Whoever says this is the best game ever has alot of catching up to do wit ps1 jrpgs.

FFX was an awesome game and one of the last great final fantasies although I did enjoy 12.

FF13 was the beginning of the end for me. Ever since I got suckered into buying 13 on launch day and realized for utterly horrible it was, I refuse to buy another Final Fantasy game by Square-Enix and probably never will.
Bravely Default may be the first Square Enix title I will buy on launch in many years, even though I hate to give Square-Enix my money after they ruined my beloved childhood franchise.

There are many worse than it, and many better.

''Hadouken!''

My 2nd all time favorite FF after FFVII & the 2nd most successful FF after FFVII regarding sales, FFX have amazing battle system new approach on summons (Aeons) were u call them to fight in place of u, superb soundtrack, likeable characters, a mini-game were u can manage & play with a team a futuristic soccer/polo kind of game (it was very addictive for me), a newly introduced leveling system that it was so amazing that games & games have copied it again & again, another plus is that this game make u really care about the characters I still feel connected to them 10+ years after I finish it for the first time (& this was the last FF that make me care..) , also there was so many secrets to find & so many badass bosses to fight I can keep on going & going on why this game was so amazing if there was 1 minus I can find is the lack of world map that's it other than that the game was a MASTERPIECE!

THE END

(If there is still some JRPG fan out there who haven't played it yet go grab the HD version in a few months u won't regret it!)

Runa216 said:
0815user said:
if ffxiii would have been pulse only people would have loved it and compared it to ffx. but because of the cocoon part a lot of people hate it. to me ffxiii is over all better than ffx allthough i didn't like a lot of the cocoon chapters as well.

aaaahhhahahaahahahano

Just no. 

FFX was linear, yes, but it had side content, exploration, minigames, secrets, and blitzball.  FFXIII might have well have been on rails for all the freedom it gave you.  While yes, Gran Pulse had a bit of exploration, it was still basically a flower, 90% of it linear, one spot that kinda branches out,t hen back to the stamen which is linear. 

And people hated XIII for reasons other than its linearity.  they hated the flat, two dimensional characters, they hated the poorly told story and how 90% of the plot had to be read from an encyclopedia, the conceptually flawed battle system, the boring character and item customization, etc.  Strict linearity was NOT the only reason people hated XIII. 

X, on the other hand, gets hated for a few different reasons, such as the lack of a world map, terrible voice acting, and annoying characters.  All valid reasons to criticise, but not nearly as bad as 'broken gameplay' or poorly told story".  Take Wakka for example, one of the most hated characters in all of gaming actually had one of the deepest and most nuanced character arcs ever.  People hated Squall for the same reasons, started out closeminded, annoying, and generally unlikeable, only to basically turn everything around as the plot progressed.  Squall was SUPPOSED to be hated at first.  Wakka and Tidus were SUPPOSED To be hated.  IT's called character development.

sorry but to me the gameplay wasn't broken, the story wasn't poorly told and the party characters definitly weren't flat either. if you would compare cast and story to for example something like xenogears i'd understand your complaints but compared to ffx i can't, sorry. and when it comes to freedom: better 2 interesting options than 10 boring ones.