By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is VGChartz's opinion on Final Fantasy X?

Tagged games:

Im hanging for the X-2 HD. It is the only game I currently want to play.

Around the Network

FFX was a great entry in the franchise. Good battle system and level up mechanic as well, decent story and beautiful world to explore.

It isn't my favorite FF but it still an amazing game. I plan to get it for my PSVita day one.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

0815user said:
darkknightkryta said:
0815user said:
darkknightkryta said:
0815user said:

Keywords "normal enemies"

You do realize if you don't do the side quests you have no idea what happens to pulse?  You go down to pulse and they explain nothing.  You go to Oerba and they don't even tell you that Fang was the one that cause the village's destruction, and essentially caused the entire war of transgression.  The entire backstory for Bartandalus is in the datalogs, so if you don't read those, you have no idea why Bartandalus is doing this.  Hell I was arguing with my friend; who thought Bartandalus was just some Fal'Cie who wanted to kill people because that's what he does.  Until me and his brother had to explain to him about Etro and the door to the maker.  This is not good story telling AT ALL.  This is an example of what you do wrong in story telling.  You never had this issue in FFX because all the backstory was explained in dialogue or with that Maechen character, explaining every area and its backstory.  There's no encyclopedia for FFX because its not needed.  FF XIII's story doesn't make any sense without the datalogs.

Final Fantasy XIII's dialogue is atrocious.  Every character said the same shit over and over again right near to the end of the game.   FFX's dialogue, while started the anime trend, was well done.  Seeing Yuna break down a little past the midpoint of the game cause she didn't want to die, but kept on a facade to give strength to others, Wakka's character arc was amazing, going from the al bhed hater because of what happened to Chappu.  Lulu's involvement with Chappu and Wakka.  Auron's entire backstory.  Everything was actually written well.  The most development I saw in FFX happened at two parts of the game; Chapter 7 and 8 (Which was really well done).  That's two chapters out of 13.  And even then two of the 5 characters who get developed revert back (Hope freaking out on Pulse was stupid and out of no where considering what happened in Chapter 7 with his father).

Note: I might have the chapters mixed up. 

without the logs he's some sort of lower god who doesn't like the society he's responsible for. so he causes trouble to create chaos which at some point makes an upper god, who's left the world in the past, reappear who then hopefully creates an new, better society. With the logs he's the exact same thing with history. It's not that his doing is totally pointless without the logs. you just get more background info about him and the world in general. i think the logs were a compromise of being cost effective and putting as much story content as possible in there.

now regarding character development: lightning went for an only caring for herself and serah to an caring for others as well character. both lightning and hope overcome their hate for snow. vanille deals with her guilt for causing all this... and so on. i certainly don't see why ffx should be so much better than this.

Bartandalus cares for his society; he just wants to see the maker more.  At no point in the game does Bartandalus explain that he's doing this to see the maker.  At no point do they explain that he needs the spirits (Those things floating around in Oerba) to open the door to Etro.  At no point out of the data logs is this stuff explained.

Lightning did change, Serah didn't change cause she wasn't in the game much.  Snow didn't change.  Fang's only shred of character development was in a sidequest with Zazh.  Hope somewhat changed, but not much, they kinda thew him away after you unlock Alexander.  Vanille didn't change, you just got her backstory.  So where was the character development again?  Like I agree you that characters got a bit, which is what chapter 7 and 8 were (Which as I stated before, was extremely well done), but after that everyone but lightning reverts back until you get near the end and everyone's like "Let's save Cocoon... by destroying Cocoon!"  cause you know, that made sense.

does this sound like he cares about the cocoon society to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a81ae7F8z6E

because to me this sounds more like he's hating the people of cocoon and needs the maker (which by the way is also mentioned) to start from the beginning. as for "Let's save Cocoon... by destroying Cocoon": you can see it as an irony that saving cocoon means destroying cocoon to free it's people from their dependency of fal cie and open their eyes for a new world.

No it dounds like a psychotic guy with some kind of agenda that's never explained because of the bad writing.  Which is what my friend was trying to argue,until me and his brother had to explain to him about Etro, the Door, and the floating snow thing used to open up the door to the maker.

I said that point sarcastically cause it's stupid writing.  They just followed along Bartandalus because of some poorly thought of idea that regular people had the power to destroy Orphan (They don't).  Since the whole reason the 6 of them were branded in the first place was because they needed the magic and summons of a L'cie to destroy Orphan.  Which goes back to stupid writing.  They could easily have let themselves turn into crystals and hope the next people Bartandalus uses figure that out, or just fully obliterate Bartandalus (Which is an option that's never explored since, you know, the Toriyama doesn't know what plot holes are).  I mean, they destroyed Anima, they could have destroyed Bartandalus.  Hell they don't even explain how Anima knew what Bartandalus was planning, or if Bartandalus knew what Anima was planning.  With the two of them dead the other Fal'cie just go back to doing whatever it is they were doing.

darkknightkryta said:
0815user said:
darkknightkryta said:
0815user said:
darkknightkryta said:
0815user said:

Keywords "normal enemies"

You do realize if you don't do the side quests you have no idea what happens to pulse?  You go down to pulse and they explain nothing.  You go to Oerba and they don't even tell you that Fang was the one that cause the village's destruction, and essentially caused the entire war of transgression.  The entire backstory for Bartandalus is in the datalogs, so if you don't read those, you have no idea why Bartandalus is doing this.  Hell I was arguing with my friend; who thought Bartandalus was just some Fal'Cie who wanted to kill people because that's what he does.  Until me and his brother had to explain to him about Etro and the door to the maker.  This is not good story telling AT ALL.  This is an example of what you do wrong in story telling.  You never had this issue in FFX because all the backstory was explained in dialogue or with that Maechen character, explaining every area and its backstory.  There's no encyclopedia for FFX because its not needed.  FF XIII's story doesn't make any sense without the datalogs.

Final Fantasy XIII's dialogue is atrocious.  Every character said the same shit over and over again right near to the end of the game.   FFX's dialogue, while started the anime trend, was well done.  Seeing Yuna break down a little past the midpoint of the game cause she didn't want to die, but kept on a facade to give strength to others, Wakka's character arc was amazing, going from the al bhed hater because of what happened to Chappu.  Lulu's involvement with Chappu and Wakka.  Auron's entire backstory.  Everything was actually written well.  The most development I saw in FFX happened at two parts of the game; Chapter 7 and 8 (Which was really well done).  That's two chapters out of 13.  And even then two of the 5 characters who get developed revert back (Hope freaking out on Pulse was stupid and out of no where considering what happened in Chapter 7 with his father).

Note: I might have the chapters mixed up. 

without the logs he's some sort of lower god who doesn't like the society he's responsible for. so he causes trouble to create chaos which at some point makes an upper god, who's left the world in the past, reappear who then hopefully creates an new, better society. With the logs he's the exact same thing with history. It's not that his doing is totally pointless without the logs. you just get more background info about him and the world in general. i think the logs were a compromise of being cost effective and putting as much story content as possible in there.

now regarding character development: lightning went for an only caring for herself and serah to an caring for others as well character. both lightning and hope overcome their hate for snow. vanille deals with her guilt for causing all this... and so on. i certainly don't see why ffx should be so much better than this.

Bartandalus cares for his society; he just wants to see the maker more.  At no point in the game does Bartandalus explain that he's doing this to see the maker.  At no point do they explain that he needs the spirits (Those things floating around in Oerba) to open the door to Etro.  At no point out of the data logs is this stuff explained.

Lightning did change, Serah didn't change cause she wasn't in the game much.  Snow didn't change.  Fang's only shred of character development was in a sidequest with Zazh.  Hope somewhat changed, but not much, they kinda thew him away after you unlock Alexander.  Vanille didn't change, you just got her backstory.  So where was the character development again?  Like I agree you that characters got a bit, which is what chapter 7 and 8 were (Which as I stated before, was extremely well done), but after that everyone but lightning reverts back until you get near the end and everyone's like "Let's save Cocoon... by destroying Cocoon!"  cause you know, that made sense.

because to me this sounds more like he's hating the people of cocoon and needs the maker (which by the way is also mentioned) to start from the beginning. as for "Let's save Cocoon... by destroying Cocoon": you can see it as an irony that saving cocoon means destroying cocoon to free it's people from their dependency of fal cie and open their eyes for a new world.

No it dounds like a psychotic guy with some kind of agenda that's never explained because of the bad writing.  Which is what my friend was trying to argue,until me and his brother had to explain to him about Etro, the Door, and the floating snow thing used to open up the door to the maker.

I said that point sarcastically cause it's stupid writing.  They just followed along Bartandalus because of some poorly thought of idea that regular people had the power to destroy Orphan (They don't).  Since the whole reason the 6 of them were branded in the first place was because they needed the magic and summons of a L'cie to destroy Orphan.  Which goes back to stupid writing.  They could easily have let themselves turn into crystals and hope the next people Bartandalus uses figure that out, or just fully obliterate Bartandalus (Which is an option that's never explored since, you know, the Toriyama doesn't know what plot holes are).  I mean, they destroyed Anima, they could have destroyed Bartandalus.  Hell they don't even explain how Anima knew what Bartandalus was planning, or if Bartandalus knew what Anima was planning.  With the two of them dead the other Fal'cie just go back to doing whatever it is they were doing.

Do you want to nitpick now every logical inconsistency and every single detail that's not well explained enough? Because if thats the case, i don't understand how you can enjoy a game where a dream (tidus) manifests into the real world to fight and win against an immortal being (yu yevon) with a group of mortals. oh and by the way: if you tell me now that tidus became more than a dream because he came in contact with sin, how did jecht become more than a dream? if you really want to go on that level you most likely can destroy any jrpg story ever told.

It's the last good Final Fantasy IMO. Good plot, great graphics, good leveling system. Except damn Segnor (or whatever his name is), he was a boss too many damn times!

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
I really wonder how many of those people who "universally hated" XIII-2 actually played it. I really disliked XIII but I absolutely adored XIII-2. Fixed pretty much all the problems I had with XIII.

This intrigues me.  I by no means hated XIII, thought the paradigm system had a lot of potential and kept you on your toes in battle, and obviously it looked great, but after 45 hours or so I just lost interest.  Which has NEVER happened before with a main FF title.  I have gone back and restarted on two separate occasions, and both times (as well as the first) I finally get to Gran Pulse and play around for a bit and it's just mehhhh.  It also had my least favourite characters of any FF game so that probably didn't help.  But I've seen FF XIII-2 as low as $7.99 over the holidays, perhaps I should give it a shot.

As for X, I love everything about it.  I'd say it's tied as my series number one with IV.  Played through 5 or 6 times (only one 100% completion but overall probably have put 500-600 hours into it) and can't wait to get my hands on the remaster.  I really liked the characters, the world, the battle system, and ESPECIALLY having the aeons as playable characters.  I think they were executed really well and I would love for them to return to that system in the future.  The summon system in every other FF game sucks now in comparison.  Never really cared for Blitzball but I remember my brother put 30 or so hours into that mini game alone during one of his playthroughs (and aided me when trying to upgrade Wakka lol). 

It's all about the game.

0815user said:
darkknightkryta said:

Do you want to nitpick now every logical inconsistency and every single detail that's not well explained enough? Because if thats the case, i don't understand how you can enjoy a game where a dream (tidus) manifests into the real world to fight and win against an immortal being (yu yevon) with a group of mortals. oh and by the way: if you tell me now that tidus became more than a dream because he came in contact with sin, how did jecht become more than a dream? if you really want to go on that level you most likely can destroy any jrpg story ever told.

So you're saying the entire purpose of the story is a nitpick?  Really?  The ENTIRE REASON the story happens is NEVER explained outside of datalogs.

I can't remember where it was explicively stated; since it's been a while since I played the game, but they do explain that Jecht got into contact with Sin.  He was training in the ocean, near where Zanarkand was summoned, he trailed a bit too far off into the ocean and got into contact with Sin.  Essentially Tidus was replaying what happened with his father; he would have turned into Sin too had Auron not been there to stop that from happening (They even explained how Auron stayed where he was.)  Though, they didn't outright say it; they hinted it enough that Tidus and Jecht did indeed exist previously(You have to reason that one out yourself though).  Their pyreflies were summoned back to Zanarkand; everyone in Zanarkand was called back.  It's why Tidus' mom was in the Farplane (Since her summon died).

For comparison purpose; FFX explained that Zanarkand was being summoned by the faith and that Sin was being summoned constantly by Yevon as a way to protect the Faith and Zanarkand.  The Faith were tired and saw the opportunity to break the cycle.  This was fully explained and was the entire purpose/plot of the game.  In FF XIII they NEVER explain, outside of the datalogs, why Bartandalus needed to kill everyone on Cocoon and Pulse.  He needed all the snow things that are created when people die; a huge amount of those would have to cause the Maker to come back to get the souls en mass.  That is never explained in the story and is the main purpose/plot of the game.  See the difference between the two game's story telling?  One actually has it.

Edit: " At no point in the game does Bartandalus explain that he's doing this to see the maker." I was wrong about that, he does say it in your clip.  But I don't believe he mentioned it before that point, nor does he ever mention how the mass deaths of everyone on Pulse and Cocoon would summon the maker (Which is very important since they don't explain the door that Etro opens up to get to the Maker).

It's a decent FF game

My list goes like this

(Xenogears)>>> FF6>9>8>7>>10>>>>>>>>>10-2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>12>>>>>>>>>>>>13,13-2

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Solid game. Personally, FF12, 6, 7 and 9>>>>>

Kresnik said:
I really wonder how many of those people who "universally hated" XIII-2 actually played it. I really disliked XIII but I absolutely adored XIII-2. Fixed pretty much all the problems I had with XIII.

As for X, my least favourite Final Fantasy. Cliched story with twists I saw coming from half a mile away; linear as hell (seriously, this was the Final Fantasy which started "corridor syndrome"); most of the cast is absolutely terrible (Lulu and Auron save it from total disaster). Soundtrack is good and battle system is decent, though.

I have been convinced by a number of people (Brendude & Padib most prominently) to give it another chance, though, so I'll be buying the HD Collection when it releases so see if it's as bad as I remember it.

I actually really loved FF XIII-2.  It's one of my favourite Final Fantasies.  I really wanted to throw my copy of FFXIII out the window :/.  

I don't think you'll enjoy FF X.  The cast is indeed very well done, but if you don't like them, not much is gonna change you on it.  Combat's still the most strategic in the series; it's a shame they made it too easy to utlize.