By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is VGChartz's opinion on Final Fantasy X?

Tagged games:

darkknightkryta said:
0815user said:
darkknightkryta said:

does this sound like he cares about the cocoon society to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a81ae7F8z6E

because to me this sounds more like he's hating the people of cocoon and needs the maker (which by the way is also mentioned) to start from the beginning. as for "Let's save Cocoon... by destroying Cocoon": you can see it as an irony that saving cocoon means destroying cocoon to free it's people from their dependency of fal cie and open their eyes for a new world.

No it dounds like a psychotic guy with some kind of agenda that's never explained because of the bad writing.  Which is what my friend was trying to argue,until me and his brother had to explain to him about Etro, the Door, and the floating snow thing used to open up the door to the maker.

I said that point sarcastically cause it's stupid writing.  They just followed along Bartandalus because of some poorly thought of idea that regular people had the power to destroy Orphan (They don't).  Since the whole reason the 6 of them were branded in the first place was because they needed the magic and summons of a L'cie to destroy Orphan.  Which goes back to stupid writing.  They could easily have let themselves turn into crystals and hope the next people Bartandalus uses figure that out, or just fully obliterate Bartandalus (Which is an option that's never explored since, you know, the Toriyama doesn't know what plot holes are).  I mean, they destroyed Anima, they could have destroyed Bartandalus.  Hell they don't even explain how Anima knew what Bartandalus was planning, or if Bartandalus knew what Anima was planning.  With the two of them dead the other Fal'cie just go back to doing whatever it is they were doing.

Do you want to nitpick now every logical inconsistency and every single detail that's not well explained enough? Because if thats the case, i don't understand how you can enjoy a game where a dream (tidus) manifests into the real world to fight and win against an immortal being (yu yevon) with a group of mortals. oh and by the way: if you tell me now that tidus became more than a dream because he came in contact with sin, how did jecht become more than a dream? if you really want to go on that level you most likely can destroy any jrpg story ever told.

So you're saying the entire purpose of the story is a nitpick?  Really?  The ENTIRE REASON the story happens is NEVER explained outside of datalogs.

I can't remember where it was explicively stated; since it's been a while since I played the game, but they do explain that Jecht got into contact with Sin.  He was training in the ocean, near where Zanarkand was summoned, he trailed a bit too far off into the ocean and got into contact with Sin.  Essentially Tidus was replaying what happened with his father; he would have turned into Sin too had Auron not been there to stop that from happening (They even explained how Auron stayed where he was.)  Though, they didn't outright say it; they hinted it enough that Tidus and Jecht did indeed exist previously(You have to reason that one out yourself though).  Their pyreflies were summoned back to Zanarkand; everyone in Zanarkand was called back.  It's why Tidus' mom was in the Farplane (Since her summon died).

For comparison purpose; FFX explained that Zanarkand was being summoned by the faith and that Sin was being summoned constantly by Yevon as a way to protect the Faith and Zanarkand.  The Faith were tired and saw the opportunity to break the cycle.  This was fully explained and was the entire purpose/plot of the game.  In FF XIII they NEVER explain, outside of the datalogs, why Bartandalus needed to kill everyone on Cocoon and Pulse.  He needed all the snow things that are created when people die; a huge amount of those would have to cause the Maker to come back to get the souls en mass.  That is never explained in the story and is the main purpose/plot of the game.  See the difference between the two game's story telling?  One actually has it.

Edit: " At no point in the game does Bartandalus explain that he's doing this to see the maker." I was wrong about that, he does say it in your clip.  But I don't believe he mentioned it before that point, nor does he ever mention how the mass deaths of everyone on Pulse and Cocoon would summon the maker (Which is very important since they don't explain the door that Etro opens up to get to the Maker).

look i can't remember every single detail (might replay it soon to refresh my memory) but to me the overall plot was neat and made sense, i liked the party, pulse (cocoon part could have been better), gameplay, soundtrack had also nice tracks (for ex: oerba and sunleth waterscape), and wasn't bothered by ff13 liniarity. if you dig deep enough you might find some inconsistencies in the story but, at least to me, not big enough ones to kill my experiance. so let's leave it there.

Around the Network
0815user said:
darkknightkryta said:

look i can't remember every single detail (might replay it soon to refresh my memory) but to me the overall plot was neat and made sense, i liked the party, pulse (cocoon part could have been better), gameplay, soundtrack had also nice tracks (for ex: oerba and sunleth waterscape), and wasn't bothered by ff13 liniarity. if you dig deep enough you might find some inconsistencies in the story but, at least to me, not big enough ones to kill my experiance. so let's leave it there.

The reason you don't remember "every single detail" is because important stuff was never actually told.  This is why Final Fantasy XIII has terrible story telling.  You probably didn't even know Fang destroyed Oerba since the part of Cocoon she broke fell onto the village.  Important stuff like that is all in the datalogs and they shouldn't be.  Gameplay wasn't bad, they just didn't balance the game.  You'd spend atleast half hours at a time over powered and just button mashing X until the next boss, that's a long time.  Hell, there's 6 hours of cutscenes in the game divided up into 40 hours of gameplay; that's 50 minutes of button mashing for every 10 minutes of cutscenes.  That's not even taking into consideration some of the longer cutscenes which puts the grinds even longer.  

To say the truth; the story is fantastic, the problem isn't the story the problem is how they told it... or rather the lack of telling.  Everything I said above is the reason the majority of the people were put off from the game.  It being linear wasn't even the problem; them making a 15 hour linear game and stretching it over 40 was the problem.

lilwingman said:

This intrigues me.  I by no means hated XIII, thought the paradigm system had a lot of potential and kept you on your toes in battle, and obviously it looked great, but after 45 hours or so I just lost interest.  Which has NEVER happened before with a main FF title.  I have gone back and restarted on two separate occasions, and both times (as well as the first) I finally get to Gran Pulse and play around for a bit and it's just mehhhh.  It also had my least favourite characters of any FF game so that probably didn't help.  But I've seen FF XIII-2 as low as $7.99 over the holidays, perhaps I should give it a shot.

I think the biggest thing about XIII-2 is that I went in with lowered expectations so it managed to vastly exceed them.  I wasn't planning on buying the game - I was given it as a Christmas present by a relative who knew I liked Final Fantasy but didn't know I hated XIII.  I'm planning on buying Lightning Returns as a result of enjoying XIII-2.

If I were to give you a summary of improvements I enjoyed:

• Graphics are as good as they were in XIII but I though the environments were much more interestingly designed.
  • Soundtrack was good in XIII but was stellar in XIII-2 (1 or 2 examples of my favourite tracks).
  • Paradigm battle system isn't touched much from XIII.  If you enjoyed it then, you'll enjoy it now.  Only difference is that you can customise your third party member by choosing from a variety of different monsters you have to catch.
  • Premise of the game itself is much more interesting.  Revisiting different zones throughout different periods of time leads to some incredibly interesting scenarios.
  • Story still isn't Final Fantasy's strongest, but it hooked me a lot more than XIII.
  • Focusing on Serah & Noel instead of an overly expanded cast was a smart move that led to more character development.
  • Game is much more compact, clocking in around ~ 25 hours for me to finish the story (compared to a drawn out ~ 45 for XIII).  Optional stuff on top of that.
Basically, they cleaned up the story; characterization; pacing and linearity issues from XIII and made the game a lot shorter with a lot more optional content should you choose to do that kind of stuff.  That was perfect for me.  For $7.99 I can highly recommend you give the game a try.  Thankfully darkknightkryta seems to be backing me up on this one too, so good to know I'm not alone on this one.  Let me know what you think if you do end up buying it :)

Wow, people are still going on, trying to devend XIII and XIII-2? XIII-2 was better, sure, but with its improvements came an even worse story and more boring characters.

XIII had a broken, simplistic, uninteresting battle system that could have been fixed with a single change: Don't make it a game over when your team leader dies. that alone is a change that could have taken half an hour of the unpaid intern's time to program a shift in control or an auto-phoenix down by an ally to keep you alive. Having that feature actually made much of the harder battles a complete chance of luck, especially on your first attempt.

The Paradigm system made the game's combat into a rythm game, alternating between I think 6 'battle formations', which comprised 99% of the gameplay since the combat moved too fast even for trained eyes to keep up with the enemies subtle movements while also chosing things manually. 90% of the game's combat was auto-play and paradigm shifting. This is not gameplay.

The Linearity meant the entire game might as well have been on rails. There was virtually NO deviation, save chapter 11, where the only side quest happened (Mark hunting). Gone were things like card games or blitzball or hidden quests. Gone were the side stories that helped explain the backstory of the characters.

The story was terribly told. If you were to just play through the game without the datalogs, it's just a bunch of uninteresting people in an uninteresting world rebelling against the corrupt religious leader, except none of his motives are explained, none of the world's lore is explained, and none of the subtleties are even hinted upon.

The world's story is actually good, but the narrative is an absolute joke, and having to read the datalogs is a chore. The combination of bland repetitive combat, linear narrative progression, and the requirement of the datalog meant that virtually every aspect of the game was designed to be all style, no substance. No interaction. Limited gameplay and poorly told story.

Even the characters were one-note. None of the characters - be they main, side, or villains - needed more than a sentence to describe their characters. Half of the villains just popped up out of nowhere and were confusing (at one point late-game, I Saw some woman fighting for barthandalus, and I had absolutely no idea who she was or what she was doing there until I read her datalog).

Only the graphics and sound were any good, with the visuals being top notch and the soundtrack/voice acting being well above average.

Seriously, I felt that Heavy Rain had more 'gameplay' to it, and a far more coherent narrative.

In summation, Final Fantasy XIII is a bland, unimaginative, linear-to-a-fault RPG with a broken battle system that could have been fixed relatively easy, as well as a complete and utter failure at storytelling. With the exception of the graphics and sound, it fails in virtually every respect.

At least XIII-2 fixed the game over issue where if your main character dies, it's game over. Give it some credit.

The reason I hate XIII is simple: It's aggressively restrictive in every way. if the game over fuckery was fixed, I could simply dismiss it as simply being 'not for me', as the linearity and choice to keep the story hidden behind an in-game encyclopedia can be seen as a stylistic choice, but when you pair the combat with the gameplay and linearity, it strikes me as a terrible attack on us as gamers. They were actively restricting everything about the game, which is terrible.

In conclusion, Final Fantasy XIII is a bad game. Not just a game I don't like, it is BAd. Objectively, provably bad. If you like it, that's fine. I like the shitty michael bay transformers movies even though they're objectively bad, just don't pretend they're actually good. You should do the same for XIII. IT is a bad game. There is no arguing this fact.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Best final fantasy ever

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Wow, people are still going on, trying to devend XIII and XIII-2? XIII-2 was better, sure, but with its improvements came an even worse story and more boring characters.

XIII had a broken, simplistic, uninteresting battle system that could have been fixed with a single change: Don't make it a game over when your team leader dies. that alone is a change that could have taken half an hour of the unpaid intern's time to program a shift in control or an auto-phoenix down by an ally to keep you alive. Having that feature actually made much of the harder battles a complete chance of luck, especially on your first attempt.

The Paradigm system made the game's combat into a rythm game, alternating between I think 6 'battle formations', which comprised 99% of the gameplay since the combat moved too fast even for trained eyes to keep up with the enemies subtle movements while also chosing things manually. 90% of the game's combat was auto-play and paradigm shifting. This is not gameplay.

The Linearity meant the entire game might as well have been on rails. There was virtually NO deviation, save chapter 11, where the only side quest happened (Mark hunting). Gone were things like card games or blitzball or hidden quests. Gone were the side stories that helped explain the backstory of the characters.

The story was terribly told. If you were to just play through the game without the datalogs, it's just a bunch of uninteresting people in an uninteresting world rebelling against the corrupt religious leader, except none of his motives are explained, none of the world's lore is explained, and none of the subtleties are even hinted upon.

The world's story is actually good, but the narrative is an absolute joke, and having to read the datalogs is a chore. The combination of bland repetitive combat, linear narrative progression, and the requirement of the datalog meant that virtually every aspect of the game was designed to be all style, no substance. No interaction. Limited gameplay and poorly told story.

Even the characters were one-note. None of the characters - be they main, side, or villains - needed more than a sentence to describe their characters. Half of the villains just popped up out of nowhere and were confusing (at one point late-game, I Saw some woman fighting for barthandalus, and I had absolutely no idea who she was or what she was doing there until I read her datalog).

Only the graphics and sound were any good, with the visuals being top notch and the soundtrack/voice acting being well above average.

Seriously, I felt that Heavy Rain had more 'gameplay' to it, and a far more coherent narrative.

In summation, Final Fantasy XIII is a bland, unimaginative, linear-to-a-fault RPG with a broken battle system that could have been fixed relatively easy, as well as a complete and utter failure at storytelling. With the exception of the graphics and sound, it fails in virtually every respect.

At least XIII-2 fixed the game over issue where if your main character dies, it's game over. Give it some credit.

The reason I hate XIII is simple: It's aggressively restrictive in every way. if the game over fuckery was fixed, I could simply dismiss it as simply being 'not for me', as the linearity and choice to keep the story hidden behind an in-game encyclopedia can be seen as a stylistic choice, but when you pair the combat with the gameplay and linearity, it strikes me as a terrible attack on us as gamers. They were actively restricting everything about the game, which is terrible.

In conclusion, Final Fantasy XIII is a bad game. Not just a game I don't like, it is BAd. Objectively, provably bad. If you like it, that's fine. I like the shitty michael bay transformers movies even though they're objectively bad, just don't pretend they're actually good. You should do the same for XIII. IT is a bad game. There is no arguing this fact.

Oh wow, we've never heard this before.

Final Fantasy VI is an objectively bad game.

Even by the low standards of video game story telling FFX was just dreadful. The plot, characters and dialog are all terrible, just awful. Making the cutscenes unskippable to force me to sit through that drivel was simply inexcusable. The gameplay was simple, shallow and easy with tonnes of unnecessary guidance and hand holding. I hate the art direction, especially concerning the character models. I was a huge Final Fantasy fan between the original and the SNES titles but they started losing me on the PS1. FFX was an abomination as far as I'm concerned, the final nail in the coffin for what was once my favorite series.

brendude13 said:

Care to back up your statements with facts or at least palpable arguments?  I'd love to hear how FFVI is in any way bad.  Great characters, the best FF Villain, one of the best game soundtracks ever, Half linear, half completely nonlinear, two complete, unique worlds, a super large cast, tonnes of side quests and backstory for almost every character, a simple but immensely fun magic and esper system, gameplay that included gamer input (Sabin's blitz's, Setzer's slots, being the best examples), gameplay that went out of its way to not JUST be boring RPG crap, like steal missions, concurrent plot lines, divergent control, multiple parties.  

Yeah.  No.  IT was not objectively a bad game.  Nice lame attempt to troll.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
brendude13 said:

Care to back up your statements with facts or at least palpable arguments?  I'd love to hear how FFVI is in any way bad.  Great characters, the best FF Villain, one of the best game soundtracks ever, Half linear, half completely nonlinear, two complete, unique worlds, a super large cast, tonnes of side quests and backstory for almost every character, a simple but immensely fun magic and esper system, gameplay that included gamer input (Sabin's blitz's, Setzer's slots, being the best examples), gameplay that went out of its way to not JUST be boring RPG crap, like steal missions, concurrent plot lines, divergent control, multiple parties.  

I honestly don't like it.

Bland world with repetitive towns and locations, poorly designed characters with very little development, Kefka is an annoying and cliche villain ripped straight out of a pantomime, the soundtrack is somewhat irritating and the overall story and narrative is so weak that you're often left wondering what you're supposed to do next.

Objectively a poor game, end of story.

brendude13 said:
Runa216 said:
brendude13 said:

I honestly don't like it.

Bland world with repetitive towns and locations, poorly designed characters with very little development, Kefka is an annoying and cliche villain ripped straight out of a pantomime, the soundtrack is somewhat irritating and the overall story and narrative is so weak that you're often left wondering what you're supposed to do next.

Objectively a poor game, end of story.

but none of that is 'objective' analysis.  You find it bland?  Sure, but it isn't.  It's incredibly deep.  The towns and locations are actually quite varied, so you're wrong there.  The characters have some of the best development of any game, let alone any FF game, so again you're plain wrong there.  Kefka can be annoying, I'll give you that, but he's also one of the most maniacal, devious, effective villains in all of gaming.  The soundtrack was fantastic, though music can be subjective so I'll leave that point alone.  The narrative was not weak, and even as a kid I never, ever had any problem knowing what to do next. 

Subjectively not a game you like, sure, but not objectively bad.  

Talking about a broken, restrictive combat system, linear narration, and an un-engaging story that barely includes the player at all?  That's objecively a poor game.  If I Wanted to read an encyclopedia, I'd go to the library.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX