By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dark Souls Producer says Wii U audience doesn't care about Dark Souls.

oniyide said:
Michael-5 said:

So much wrong with this....

First of all you're over-generalizing. XenoBlade, Last Story, and Pandora's Tower are 3 JRPG's which are not mainstream, and also Nintendo. So with your category's no one wants these games, yet XenoBlade sold as well as a typical Tales of title.

Second of all, Dungeons and Dragons is a WRPG Board game. It has a completely different demograph then the JRPG fanbase, so if anything very few people would like both D&D & Dark Souls

Third, I think any truly hardcore JRPG fan is by definition also a Nintendo fan. Like I said above, many of the best JRPG's tend to be Nintendo or Sony exclusives. XenoBlade Chronicles for Wii, as well as Infinite Space for DS, Fire Emblem Awakening for 3DS, Baten Kaitos for Gamecube, Golden Sun for GBA, Tactics Ogre for N64, Chrono Trigger for SNES, etc, etc have been among the best JRPG of their respective generations. How can you be a real hardcore JRPG fan, and not a Nintendo fan at the same time? I fit into this category.

its actually quite easy if you started gaming in the PS era then that system had the best library for JRPGs period, nothing else came close. N64 had like a dozen titles in that category. That passed on to PS2, which had a better JRPG library. One could make an argument for GBA in those days but most of those were ports...which isnt bad.

Before PS1 SNES was JRPG king, and after PS1 Nintendo still dominated the JRPG scene on handhelds. Yes a lot of handheld JRPG's were ports, but that isn't a bad thing. Many SNES/PS1 era Japan only JRPG's first localized on the GBA/DS (e.g. Final Fantasy III), and a lot of games were really fun remakes (FF I, 2, 4-6 really felt good on the GBA). Plus to be fair, a lot of great handheld JRPG's aren't ports. Pokemon, Radiant Historia, Infinite Space, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest IX, etc.

As for console RPG's, yes PS is still the RPG machine, but Nintendo has still managed to get a must have RPG in each gen. XenoBlade is arguably the best JRPG this gen, and The Last Story isn't far behind. N64 also had some real gems with Tactics Ogre and Paper Mario. Gamecube had some great stuff too with Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, and Baten Kaitos. With Nintendo consoles being the cheapest, a real hardcore JRPG fan likely owns all the Nintendo systems as well.

P.S. I think a hardcore JRPG fan also owns a 360 too. Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, all great, and all pretty cheap now.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

Well I'm a Wii U owner and also a Dark Souls fan..

So yeah, basically the guy is an idiot.

I don't get this obsession within the industry of separating and segragating gamers into demographics. Tis the way of the world I guess..

Why should "we" Nintendo fans care?

99% of all 3rd party games are just trash/bad ports/ more expensive/ useless DLC.

I'm sorry I buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games. if and I say if I want to play any other game I'd buy a PS4/Xbone

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Mirson said:

Just like how the Wii U audience didn't care about Batman, Call of Duty Ghosts, Deus Ex, Wonderful 101, Splinter Cell, etc. He's perfectly correct in this situation.

I do love Deus Ex and W101 and Batman are great games. Splinter Cell is mediocre, especially if compared to Deus Ex, which has in parts similar gameplay-concepts. CoD isn't my cup of tea, so it's the only of the named games I didn't bought.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I'm sorry that I'm going to once more post on this tangent, but I feel it's worth saying this. After this, I won't comment on this off-topic issue in this thread again.

Mr Khan said:
We're perfectly allowed to have vocal disagreements with users over what we personally perceive as bad opinions. He just took issue with a specific part of your post (a different one than the one I felt was particularly well-conceived).

I had no issue with his vocal disagreement (beyond me disagreeing with his disagreement). I had issue with how he chose to express that disagreement. There are plenty of ways that he could have expressed the same disagreement without the phrase he chose to use, a rather crude and somewhat offensive one.

From my experience back when I was a moderator on The Wiire's forums (and I'm betting that you've noticed something similar here), it is essential that moderators maintain the respect of the community. Otherwise, community meltdowns can occur (and one actually did on The Wiire - a staff member decided to greatly disrespect a number of members of the community at a time when I was asleep, so when I got online, I then had to deal with the fallout and fix the problem; the only reason I was able to fix it at all was that the community, even the people with whom I disagreed vehemently, respected me). This respect can only be earned through being respectful even when disagreeing with people within the community. And in my opinion, Torillian chose the path that was not respectful - not only did he use a rather inappropriate phrase to attack me, but he didn't even have the decency to attack me directly - he did it indirectly by responding to you. He treated me like I was dirt, and that is not an attitude that engenders respect.

Let me put it another way - if you can't moderate yourself, then you shouldn't be a moderator (the "you" here is the generic "you", not you, Mr Khan - I actually quite respect your moderation, from what I've seen so far).

Anyway, since I have a personal policy of not posting completely off-topic posts in a thread, I'll make a comment here that's on-topic. This Dark Souls producer made a statement that he couldn't possibly know with any certainty. Instead, he is asserting based on preconceptions and assumptions - preconceptions that are based on nothing, since nothing even remotely resembling Dark Souls is currently on the Wii U, and thus the market for the game is completely untested. He cannot know what the audience on the Wii U is like in comparison with the audience for Dark Souls. And you know what happens when you assume? You make an arse of yourself.

In 2007, most people would have said that the Wii audience was dramatically different from the Monster Hunter audience. Then Capcom made Monster Hunter for the Wii, and it sold better than any previous home console Monster Hunter. Most people would have said in 2002 that the Gamecube audience was nothing like the Resident Evil audience. Then Resident Evil 4 sold to something like one in ten Gamecube owners.

If he had made the argument that he didn't have any inspiration for a way to make a Dark Souls game that leverages the Wii U, and that the audience already have either a PS3 or 360, I'd probably have just shrugged it off - to be honest, I have no interest in Dark Souls, myself. But the fact that he made the argument that the audience is different demonstrates a profound lack of intelligence on his part.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
the_dengle said:
curl-6 said:

LIke I sad, the cheapness is how much progress you can lose.

I died plenty of times and never felt like I had "lost progress." You don't lose items or anything, only souls (currency). And here's the thing: if you die and drop your souls, as long as you can make it back to that point again, you'll get your souls back. The game only punishes you if you make less progress in subsequent attempts -- in other words, if you learned nothing from your first trip through an area.

You might as well say Mario games are cheap because when you die you lose the power-up you were using.

I don't know what game you were playing, but at no point in my entire playthrough did a death result in my losing "hours of progress." I don't recall ever feeling that I had been set back more than 10 minutes.

I didn't lose hours of progress, I've only played roughly 2.5 hours of Demon's Souls. But I see the potential for it to happen.

So you havent actually played Dark Souls at all?

As a comparison to other hardcore/mainstream multiplatform games, how much have they sold so far on the WII U? Like Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Flag, Batman, Deus Ex, Darksiders 2?

They've all sold between 50,000 and 200,000 copies on the Wii U. That's just not much to justify making a port.

But I'd like to see Wii U owners make a petition of getting Dark Souls to the Wii U. The PC guys were very successful with their petition.

Dark Souls is no Mario Kart...

Kane1389 said:
curl-6 said:
the_dengle said:
curl-6 said:

I died plenty of times and never felt like I had "lost progress." You don't lose items or anything, only souls (currency). And here's the thing: if you die and drop your souls, as long as you can make it back to that point again, you'll get your souls back. The game only punishes you if you make less progress in subsequent attempts -- in other words, if you learned nothing from your first trip through an area.

You might as well say Mario games are cheap because when you die you lose the power-up you were using.

I don't know what game you were playing, but at no point in my entire playthrough did a death result in my losing "hours of progress." I don't recall ever feeling that I had been set back more than 10 minutes.

I didn't lose hours of progress, I've only played roughly 2.5 hours of Demon's Souls. But I see the potential for it to happen.

Not really; after how much I hated Demon's Souls it seemed a waste of my time. What little I played did not feel dissimilar.

curl-6 said:
Kane1389 said:
curl-6 said:
the_dengle said:
curl-6 said:

Not really; after how much I hated Demon's Souls it seemed a waste of my time. What little I played did not feel dissimilar.

And yet you talked about it during the enitre thread?