By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dark Souls Producer says Wii U audience doesn't care about Dark Souls.

Kane1389 said:
curl-6 said:

One mistake costing hours of progress is obsolete 80s-era game philosophy that hinders fun.

It must be one pretty huge mistake on your part if those are the consequnces

I'm talking about the potential for it to happen.

In my view, one of the absolute cardinal sins a game can commit is to be frustrating, because frustration is the antithesis of fun, and fun is the core value of a video game.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Kane1389 said:
curl-6 said:

One mistake costing hours of progress is obsolete 80s-era game philosophy that hinders fun.

It must be one pretty huge mistake on your part if those are the consequnces

In my view, one of the absolute cardinal sins a game can commit is to be frustrating, because  frustration is the antithesis of fun, and fun is the core value of a video game.

Like I said, any game can become frustrating when you suck at it. 

Sometimes, people look beyond the mindless ''fun'' in videogames. Maybe the want immersion and challenge. If mindless fun is all they want, Tetris would be all we need

curl-6 said:
Kane1389 said:

Any game can become repetitive when you suck at it :)

Dark Souls has more variety and depth in its combat system than any action RPG there

And more cheapness. Another hallmark of poor game design.

The thing I love most about the Souls game is that they're not cheap. There's a big difference between difficult and cheap. If you die it's YOUR fault. You need to learn how to block, evade, parry, counter, it takes a while but it's a very rewarding experience once it all comes together for you. This isn't Zelda or God of War, you have to actually use your brain if you want to succeed. The only thing that might feel cheap is the fact that you can't pause the game, but even that helps build the atmosphere of never being safe unless you're at a bonfire. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

You know, I'd rather buy this game for a WiiU over a PS3/360. Lets face it Dark Souls is a hard game, I don't want to get a half ass list of trophy's/achievements, nor beat the game multiple times and get all the collectables to get a platinum/1,000.

If these guys released Dark Souls on WiiU, I'd consider it. However on PS3/360, there is just too much already.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Kane1389 said:
curl-6 said:
Kane1389 said:
curl-6 said:

arguement

arguement

In my view, one of the absolute cardinal sins a game can commit is to be frustrating, because  frustration is the antithesis of fun, and fun is the core value of a video game.

Sometimes, people look beyond the mindless ''fun'' in videogames. Maybe the want immersion and challenge. If mindless fun is all they want, Tetris would be all we need

Different Strokes for different bloakes.

It's not that the game is too hard, I also don't like Dark Souls. It's that I personally like to play JRPG's more passively. Take Fire Emblem for instance, I play it on Hard/Casual because I hate when you play an hour long level, only to have a good character die because of a mistake.

Not everyone likes to be punished for making a mistake, some people just want to lay back and play more casually. Dark Souls would be awesome IMO if it didn't spawn me 20 minutes earlier in the level.

However at the same time, I think people like you enjoy the game BECAUSE of the challenge. When you beat a boss, or a level, it's just that much more rewarding. When you just barely beat a boss, it feels that much more tense and satisfying. I get the mentality, but personally I have too many games to get myself really wound up by this game.

---

It's a good game, it's just different strokes for different bloakes. No point arguing about it, it's a specific taste, even for us niche JRPG fans.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Kane1389 said:
curl-6 said:
Kane1389 said:
curl-6 said:

arguement

arguement

It's not that the game is too hard, I also don't like Dark Souls. It's that I personally like to play JRPG's more passively. Take Fire Emblem for instance, I play it on Hard/Casual because I hate when you play an hour long level, only to have a good character die because of a mistake.

Not everyone likes to be punished for making a mistake, some people just want to lay back and play more casually. Dark Souls would be awesome IMO if it didn't spawn me 20 minutes earlier in the level.

However at the same time, I think people like you enjoy the game BECAUSE of the challenge. When you beat a boss, or a level, it's just that much more rewarding. When you just barely beat a boss, it feels that much more tense and satisfying. I get the mentality, but personally I have too many games to get myself really wound up by this game.

---

It's a good game, it's just different strokes for different bloakes. No point arguing about it, it's a specific taste, even for us niche JRPG fans.

Thats all fine but he said the game is cheap and repetitive which isn't the case

Kane1389 said:
Michael-5 said:

---

Thats all fine but he said the game is cheap and repetitive which isn't the case

Some people would feel that way. I feel Ender Scrolls is repetative and boring, but 10 million people would disagree with me. Cheap is harsh though, Dark/Demon Souls is just that super hardcore Japanese JRPG.

Well, I agree. There are two different crowds of RPG fans, the more mainstream RPG gamers that play games like Chrono Trigger, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, of which Nintendo has of abundance in their audience. Then there are the RPGs meant for basement-nerds which include stuff like the dungeon of dragons and Dark Soul.

The basement-nerd type RPGs don't really appeal to Nintendo fans. Basement-nerds usually hate Nintendo and would never by a Nintendo system.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Well, I agree. There are two different crowds of RPG fans, the more mainstream RPG gamers that play games like Chrono Trigger, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, of which Nintendo has of abundance in their audience. Then there are the RPGs meant for basement-nerds which include stuff like the dungeon of dragons and Dark Soul.

The basement-nerd type RPGs don't really appeal to Nintendo fans. Basement-nerds usually hate Nintendo and would never by a Nintendo system.

What a pathetic gross generalization

Michael-5 said:

You know, I'd rather buy this game for a WiiU over a PS3/360. Lets face it Dark Souls is a hard game, I don't want to get a half ass list of trophy's/achievements, nor beat the game multiple times and get all the collectables to get a platinum/1,000.

If these guys released Dark Souls on WiiU, I'd consider it. However on PS3/360, there is just too much already.

that logic makes no sense at all considering trophies and achievements are 100% optional