By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: "I don't know why Iwata is still employed"

Busted said:
Iwata (laughs)

Everyone (laughs)

I genuinely lol'd. I guess this means I've seen too many Iwata asks'.

Interestingly, you can see some of Iwata's presence as a leader poke through his humble persona during the Iwata asks' by looking at the reactions of his interviewees. Many seem nervous to be showing off what they've been working on to the head honcho. Only Miyamoto seems truly at ease in his company.

This man runs a tight ship when the cameras aren't around.

Around the Network

neither do I.

noname2200 said:
green_sky said:

No one is that dumb. It is calculated statement on his part. It was the same with Rubin imo. 

Perhaps, but this type of gibberish is commonly spouted by the genius analysts of the videogame industry, so I think it's equally plausible that he believes this particular nugget at least. Mobile seems to be all the rage in the industry, even if it's finally starting to die down...

I know you and Rol check out Malstrom. So here is his take on recent comments by Rubin but Packman is also there. http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2013/12/03/game-industrys-tactical-rhetoric-aimed-at-nintendo-and-nintendo-fans/

Panicnausia said:
hsrob said:
Nintendo 1.8 million consoles this week, Sony 1.7 million consoles this week. How does that equal one thriving and the other not?

In fairness that alone has little to do with the long term health of either in the console business, maybe if you live in a  bubble.

True enough. So you mean long term health of their console business as indicated by some other metric, like profit?

Patcher ? didn't he say the vita would crush the 3ds ? Into the trash his opinion goes.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
green_sky said:
theprof00 said:

It's easy, you just make a game like candy crush, I'm surprised nobody else is trying. Shame on nintendo, sony, and ms.

They want you to do it and show them the way Prof. How many of those pretty dresses you'll be able to buy from revenue of first 25 minutes. 

My god you're right....the answer has been in front of me this whole time. I've been living a lie

There actually are straight-up ripoffs of Candy Crush (they use the same system, have a cutesy candy theme, etc.) that are doing amazingly well. It's bizarre, considering most mobile ripoffs don't find success.

So what are you waiting for? Time's wasting!

wfz said:
outlawauron said:
wfz said:
" He believes that Nintendo is missing a huge opportunity to bring new gamers into their brands: Nintendo should put old GameBoy Advance content on phones and tablets for free, and charge $3 to $5 for more recent titles from the DS."

*Reads that part again*

*Reads it again*

*Again*

Release old titles for free? Pachter doesn't understand the mobile market, he doesn't understand Nintendo, and he doesn't understand what goes on in video game development. That much is clear.

As a side note, Nintendo is definitely missing the mark and needs to do *something*. I myself won't pretend to know the proper solution.

I'm questioning whether you understand the mobile market. It will cost next to nothing to put ROMs on the app store and they'd be completely ad-supported by ads of current 3DS and Wii U games. I think it'd be a fantastic idea.

You can fill out what he says with your own input, but the words he expressed showed no strategy or knowledge. He later tweeted along the lines of "by free, I mean Freemium" aka microtransactions. He has no idea how business models work and how they should be optimally imbedded in game design.

Nintendo wouldn't "simply release ROMs" unless they wanted to be cheap, which isn't Nintendo. They would also have to rework their strategy of eShop pricing. I'm not saying they shouldn't do that, I'm saying Pachter gave no actual meaningful advice. he just spat out words and trends that he thinks work. But he didn't actually think about what he was saying, or he just doesn't understand 1) the market, 2) Nintendo, 3) game development.

Also, the vast majority, if not all, DS titles would not work on a mobile phone.

But this exactly what they did with Virtual Console. 

I do understand your point, as it would really screw over and they'd need to overhaul a lot. That said, it could be a very good thing for such overhauls. More than anything, I think that people just want to see Nintendo being aggressive in regards to their online and digital offereings/services.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I agree Nintendo could potentially make waves, but not really in the mobile market but their own (I'm talking about a better Virtual Console Store with strong sales and not waiting forever for games to be brought on). Regardless Iwata & Nintendo will be alright.

aikohualda said:
I dont know why pachter is still employed

That headline just made it so easy, didn't it?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

outlawauron said:

But this exactly what they did with Virtual Console. 

I do understand your point, as it would really screw over and they'd need to overhaul a lot. That said, it could be a very good thing for such overhauls. More than anything, I think that people just want to see Nintendo being aggressive in regards to their online and digital offereings/services.

I think everyone's waiting for Nintendo to finally wake up and aggressively address their issues. I'm hoping they're taking these recent circumstances very seriously and planning to make some aggressive moves. Even as a fan, I'm getting tired.