By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: "I don't know why Iwata is still employed"

green_sky said:

Just going to leave this here. As if microtransactions in "real" next-gen weren't enough. 

It's easy, you just make a game like candy crush, I'm surprised nobody else is trying. Shame on nintendo, sony, and ms.

Around the Network

Didn't he say not that long ago that the XBO would sell the most? Now he's saying the PS4?

I really don't the see the systems selling as much as he said, look at it like this, if you remove WII from the calculation seeing as that was an anomaly, then the user base has really shrunk, during the Ps2 era we had a collective user base of roughly 200 million users across 3 systems (PS2=150, GC=22, Xbox=25), but with only ps360 seeing as that was the system for the so called "HARDCORE", we only have 160 million users, and don't forget this systems have been on the market for about 8 years. this is not a good sign.

So far both Sony and Microsoft said that this gen will be shorter than the last, and don't forget that a lot of people bought the ps360 as multimedia machines (blu-ray, netflix and hulu) while others got it for casual games (kinect really moved systems). People that got it for the multimedia purpose have better and cheaper machines in their homes now, as for the casuals they have moved to phone and tablets. If anything the User base is actually shrinking and that is something we should really talk about.

Somini said:

He believes that Nintendo is missing a huge opportunity to bring new gamers into their brands: Nintendo should put old GameBoy Advance content on phones and tablets for free, and charge $3 to $5 for more recent titles from the DS. Pachter feels this would generate enormous revenue for Nintendo and bring millions of new fans into their brands, and give them a strong way to sell newer titles on the 3DS and Wii U that use those brands.

Pachter is an idiot. This concludes my comments on the subject.

Every time Pachter speaks, nintendo fans always get angry, it's like clockwork.

Around the Network
wfz said:
outlawauron said:
wfz said:
" He believes that Nintendo is missing a huge opportunity to bring new gamers into their brands: Nintendo should put old GameBoy Advance content on phones and tablets for free, and charge $3 to $5 for more recent titles from the DS."

*Reads that part again*

*Reads it again*

*Again*

Release old titles for free? Pachter doesn't understand the mobile market, he doesn't understand Nintendo, and he doesn't understand what goes on in video game development. That much is clear.

As a side note, Nintendo is definitely missing the mark and needs to do *something*. I myself won't pretend to know the proper solution.

I'm questioning whether you understand the mobile market. It will cost next to nothing to put ROMs on the app store and they'd be completely ad-supported by ads of current 3DS and Wii U games. I think it'd be a fantastic idea.

You can fill out what he says with your own input, but the words he expressed showed no strategy or knowledge. He later tweeted along the lines of "by free, I mean Freemium" aka microtransactions. He has no idea how business models work and how they should be optimally imbedded in game design.

Nintendo wouldn't "simply release ROMs" unless they wanted to be cheap, which isn't Nintendo. They would also have to rework their strategy of eShop pricing. I'm not saying they shouldn't do that, I'm saying Pachter gave no actual meaningful advice. he just spat out words and trends that he thinks work. But he didn't actually think about what he was saying, or he just doesn't understand 1) the market, 2) Nintendo, 3) game development.

Also, the vast majority, if not all, DS titles would not work on a mobile phone.

If Nintendo is the problem - he already gave the solution. Fire Iwata. I'm actually also kinda surprised why he's still the CEO, considering how he's leading the company. Nintendo looks like a company that's still sitting in stoneage in comparison to its competition, which is one of the reasons why Wii U is suffering so much. There is tons of stuff they could do so much better to improve sales, they are so obvious everyone sees them. Everyone except for him. In many aspects they still trail last gen achievements of their competition, which is unexcusable.

Also I just don't really like the guy. Listening to him stuttering in English is so painful, I hate it whenever he turn up at any given event. While I absolutely love Kaz or Miyamoto, I can't listen to Iwata. I don't really like Reggie either.

And to this idea - I think it's genious and Nintendo should go for it ASAP. He doesn't have to give you the full business model, nobody paid him for it. He gave them a great idea for free. They should just get to it. Even selling the GBA games for stupid $0.99 would give them massive income and allow them to advertise their consoles and new games.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

noname2200 said:
Somini said:

He believes that Nintendo is missing a huge opportunity to bring new gamers into their brands: Nintendo should put old GameBoy Advance content on phones and tablets for free, and charge $3 to $5 for more recent titles from the DS. Pachter feels this would generate enormous revenue for Nintendo and bring millions of new fans into their brands, and give them a strong way to sell newer titles on the 3DS and Wii U that use those brands.

Pachter is an idiot. This concludes my comments on the subject.

No one is that dumb. It is calculated statement on his part. It was the same with Rubin imo. 

theprof00 said:

It's easy, you just make a game like candy crush, I'm surprised nobody else is trying. Shame on nintendo, sony, and ms.

They want you to do it and show them the way Prof. How many of those pretty dresses you'll be able to buy from revenue of first 25 minutes. 

green_sky said:
theprof00 said:

They want you to do it and show them the way Prof. How many of those pretty dresses you'll be able to buy from revenue of first 25 minutes. 

My god you're right....the answer has been in front of me this whole time. I've been living a lie

green_sky said:

No one is that dumb. It is calculated statement on his part. It was the same with Rubin imo. 

Perhaps, but this type of gibberish is commonly spouted by the genius analysts of the videogame industry, so I think it's equally plausible that he believes this particular nugget at least. Mobile seems to be all the rage in the industry, even if it's finally starting to die down...