By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: "I don't know why Iwata is still employed"

outlawauron said:
wfz said:
" He believes that Nintendo is missing a huge opportunity to bring new gamers into their brands: Nintendo should put old GameBoy Advance content on phones and tablets for free, and charge $3 to $5 for more recent titles from the DS."

*Reads that part again*

*Reads it again*

*Again*

Release old titles for free? Pachter doesn't understand the mobile market, he doesn't understand Nintendo, and he doesn't understand what goes on in video game development. That much is clear.

As a side note, Nintendo is definitely missing the mark and needs to do *something*. I myself won't pretend to know the proper solution.

I'm questioning whether you understand the mobile market. It will cost next to nothing to put ROMs on the app store and they'd be completely ad-supported by ads of current 3DS and Wii U games. I think it'd be a fantastic idea.

You can fill out what he says with your own input, but the words he expressed showed no strategy or knowledge. He later tweeted along the lines of "by free, I mean Freemium" aka microtransactions. He has no idea how business models work and how they should be optimally imbedded in game design.

Nintendo wouldn't "simply release ROMs" unless they wanted to be cheap, which isn't Nintendo. They would also have to rework their strategy of eShop pricing. I'm not saying they shouldn't do that, I'm saying Pachter gave no actual meaningful advice. he just spat out words and trends that he thinks work. But he didn't actually think about what he was saying, or he just doesn't understand 1) the market, 2) Nintendo, 3) game development.

Also, the vast majority, if not all, DS titles would not work on a mobile phone.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
MohammadBadir said:
theprof00 said:
PS4 is only winning because of price.
SO then why did ps3 win while nearly always 200$ more?

the ps3 won something?

my heart

I just mean they outsold the 360, Duhhh

i don't hear people going around saying the N64 won something for outselling the SEGA Saturn:P

MohammadBadir said:
theprof00 said:
MohammadBadir said:
theprof00 said:
PS4 is only winning because of price.
SO then why did ps3 win while nearly always 200$ more?

the ps3 won something?

my heart

I just mean they outsold the 360, Duhhh

i don't hear people going around saying the N64 won something for outselling the SEGA Saturn:P

I was suddenly reminded of old arguments with Nintendo fans, and thought "wait, that cannot possibly be the case...Nintendo doesn't have any fans", but now that I've noticed that smiley face, I see you were just giving me a hard time.

This guys crazy. Nintendo has kicked allot or but over the last several years. They have done amazingly well not following his advice. Yeah they goofed with the wii u launch and had a huge software drought when it first came out but they just got the game machine rolling so you gotta give it at least another year before you can call it a flop.

Mr Khan said:
DerNebel said:

Aside from the whole "LOL Pachter is an Idiot"-circlejerk, why do you think Iwata isn't fired yet? Or to ask the question differently, why do you think Iwata is still the right CEO for Nintendo?

Because he was CEO during the Wii and DS days? Past glory should never be a reason to keep someone a CEO of a multibillion dollar company.

Because he turned the 3DS around? Nintendo made the thing cheaper and released its standard suite of games for it plus more or less the same type of third party games the DS had as well, the only ingenious thing was securing MH4 exclusively on it. There was literally nothing about that that any other CEO couldn't have figured out as well.

Now look at the Wii U, Nintendo is trying the exact same tactic as with the 3DS (minus third party game) and the success is moderate, to put it mildly. Nintendo the way it is right now has no idea how to fix the Wii U, because they simple don't seem to be able to think out of the box. If Iwata and the rest of the high ups at Nintendo aren't able to do that and if the stockholders of Nintendo want the Wii U to be something else than just a second GC, than they need to get some new people in charge.

A company can't turn on a dime, you know. Acting like Nintendo can just "change everything" at the drop of a hat, if only they had better leadership, is really not the case.

I wasn't implying that the change would be immediate anywhere. Fact is Nintendo isn't changing anything at all, they're doing what they've been doing for years now, hoping it will work. And it is quite apparently not working with the Wii U, but still there is nothing indicating that Nintendo is trying a different approach, instead it's the same old franchises over and over again, sure those games are great, but there is only a certain amount of people that will buy a console for the new Mario, MK, Smash and Zelda.

Around the Network

Pot, kettle, black

domflo said:
Weedlab said:
DanneSandin said:
Weedlab said:
Nintendo needs to be reshuffled at the top. Plain and simple. They're a great company with great products (by that I mean IPs), but the decisions they've been making have been ridiculous (to say the least). I can't say I disagree with Pachter here. Sony gave Ken Kutaragi and other slackers the boot - Ninty should do the same,

Yeah, Sony should totally fire Kaz Hirai! He's the one responseble for the Vita, and that's arguably an even bigger flop than Wii U! Off with his head!

Poor comparison since Kaz is the CEO of Sony, the much wider group, and his actions have been helpful to that group rather than pernicious (unlike other decision makers). Nice try though.

When the Vita came out he was CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, so pretty much what Iwata is as CEO of Nintendo Co., ltd. right now.

he did however, at the time, transform the PS business from a business losing billions to a profitable one. 

Why the fuck does anyone actually ever listen to a word this douche-nozzle ever says? He doesn't actually know anything about video games or gamers or gaming. He only speculates on sales and makes up bullshit for investors to chew on. The guy and his opinions literally mean nothing.

Why is Iwata still employed? Oh I don't know, perhaps because he helped put out some of the greatest games in gaming history (Kirby, Mother/Earthbound, Smash Bros.), and some of the most successful consoles of all time (DS, Wii, 3DS). The Wii U will turn around, and when it does, then maybe people will quit with the pathetic overreaction syndrome.

The fact of the matter is, if you actually care about Wii U selling well, then go out and buy a fucking system. That's the ONLY way sales or going to improve, for the console or it's games, is if gamers quit being cheap, lazy hypocrites and put their money where their mouths are. And if you don't actually care about Wii U or it's games selling well, then perhaps it's time to shut up and go support one of the consoles you actually do care about. Either way, people on the internet are sad, confused creatures, at best.

You want something to sell, then BUY it. Simple fucking logic.

Do tablet games really bring in that much money. I get that Angry Birds for example has been downloaded a gazillion times but if that does'nt equate to real money then why would Nintendo ever release their stuff on there. Not to mention that Nintendo is getting screwed by the people making emulators and there is not much they can do about it.

Just going to leave this here. As if microtransactions in "real" next-gen weren't enough.