By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VD-Dev "pushing the 3DS to its limits"

fatslob-:O said:

edit:

I think you should show me what's so "crappy" about this environment.

@edit BTW that screenshot isn't representative of the whole games graphics. Most of the time your in dark rooms with muddy textures.

The discussion is about that is graphically possible, and this room is possible to render. You have free camera, you enter this room multiple times, sometimes it contains multiple enemies. After that room you have the Hall, that is even bigger, with three levels of galleries and stairs, you can look with the free camera through the whole room. No frame drops on this sequences. So if you concentrate on what is graphically possible, you only see the dark rooms with not much in it? Very unbiased, I see.

I see you reference to PC. A good equipped PC beats every console, even home console. Nobody doubts that. So what's your problem?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
@Everyone

Honest to god the 3DS isn't anywhere near an impressive piece of equipment. You will never have games that will likely go above PSP graphics or performance because of the fact that nintendo made 3D a mandatory implimentation to the system that isn't even twice as powerful as the PSP was. So if I were you guys I would focus on the games because the 3DS isn't capable of all too much considering metal gear ran 20fps compared to the more smoother 30fps on the PS2.

I don't want to comment too much on your poor effort to bash the 3DS, but in no way 3D is mandatory. The devs decide mostly (but not all) to take advantage of this possibility. Must be because they like it or that they think this makes their game look better (and usually it does).

In no was my comment made to bash the 3DS but rather it was to reveal what it was truly capable of and whether you like it not the fact is the 3DS is weaker than a gamecube and almost every game uses the 3D effect to diminish it's power and that leaves it very little space to improve on a graphics front. 

You moving the goalposts. You were saying:

"because of the fact that nintendo made 3D a mandatory implimentation to the system that isn't even twice as powerful as the PSP was"

I was referring to the part, that Nintendo made 3D mandatory, that is clearly not the case. Devs choose to use that feature mostly. Now you also speak about 'mostly': "almost every game uses the 3D effect to diminish it's power"

So you basically admit that you was wrong and I was right without really saying it to leave the impression you were rigth all along. No, you made stuff up.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

happydolphin said:
What does everybody have against me in this thread ? Am I some monster or something. :P

Fatslob, your two problem comments, with bolding for important nonsensical points:

@Everyone

Honest to god the 3DS isn't anywhere near an impressive piece of equipment. You will never have games that will likely go above PSP graphics or performance because of the fact that nintendo made 3D a mandatory implimentation to the system that isn't even twice as powerful as the PSP was. So if I were you guys I would focus on the games because the 3DS isn't capable of all too much considering metal gear ran 20fps compared to the more smoother 30fps on the PS2.

You are saying the 3DS will never have games with graphics better than the PSP. That's silly since we already have games much better than the best-looking PSP games.

and

The 3DS was already at it's limits when it came out at launch so how much power was there left to even squeeze out ?

For this one you have 0 proof.

Kaizar said:

According to all 3rd party developers, the 3DS has way more better Textures & Shader Abilities then the Wii.

Plus we know the 3DS has at least 50 shader cores which is more then the 360.

Plus Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii had most cell-shaded graphics with polygons being used on a few background models, but Donkey Kong Counry Returns on 3DS replace the cell-shaded graphic models with pure polygon models.

So PS3 (550 MHz GPU) > 360 (500 MHz GPU) > 3DS (400 MHz GPU) > Wii (243 MHz GPU) > GameCube > XBox > PS2 & PSP > DS > PSX

That's some poor understanding of hardware you got going. 

This kind of comment is bad because you don't explain why he has a poor understanding of hardware. Because to me it sounds right.

Fine then go and believe your own grandeur of delusions, its not like I could care. Your issue of much better graphics than what the psp's best could achieve is also not without technical hurdles on the 3DS's best looking games. BTW madden and ridge racer already pushed the 3DS to it's limit at LAUNCH so too bad about it having any more power left. The reason why kaizer exhibits poor understanding has to do wth the fact that he belives the megaherts myth and while also psoting up incorrect info about the 3DS's GPU clock which was 133mhz and what more is that the gamecube has more shaders and a higher clock too.

Cleary397 said:
The 3DS was already at it's limits when it came out at launch so how much power was there left to even squeeze out ?

Nice troll post.

Go do that somewhere else please.

Once again do spam this thread with crappy hit and and run posts. 

This kind of comment is bad because you don't explain why he has a poor understanding of hardware. Because to me it sounds right.

Fine then go and believe your own grandeur of delusions, its not like I could care. Your issue of much better graphics than what the psp's best could achieve is also not without technical hurdles on the 3DS's best looking games. BTW madden and ridge racer already pushed the 3DS to it's limit at LAUNCH so too bad about it having any more power left. The reason why kaizer exhibits poor understanding has to do wth the fact that he belives the megaherts myth and while also psoting up incorrect info about the 3DS's GPU clock which was 133mhz and what more is that the gamecube has more shaders and a higher clock too.

@underlined. Do you have any kind of source for that and, since when is a console pushed to its limits at launch without some heavy investment with the hardware (e.g. factor 5)?

@Kaizar. See, you could have said that instead.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Mnementh said:
@Everyone

I don't want to comment too much on your poor effort to bash the 3DS, but in no way 3D is mandatory. The devs decide mostly (but not all) to take advantage of this possibility. Must be because they like it or that they think this makes their game look better (and usually it does).

In no was my comment made to bash the 3DS but rather it was to reveal what it was truly capable of and whether you like it not the fact is the 3DS is weaker than a gamecube and almost every game uses the 3D effect to diminish it's power and that leaves it very little space to improve on a graphics front. 

You moving the goalposts. You were saying:

"because of the fact that nintendo made 3D a mandatory implimentation to the system that isn't even twice as powerful as the PSP was"

I was referring to the part, that Nintendo made 3D mandatory, that is clearly not the case. Devs choose to use that feature mostly. Now you also speak about 'mostly': "almost every game uses the 3D effect to diminish it's power"

So you basically admit that you was wrong and I was right without really saying it to leave the impression you were rigth all along. No, you made stuff up.

That still doesn't make me wrong that almost every developer will impliment it and BTW snake eater 3D was runing at a choopy 20fps compared to the more smoother 30fps of the PS2 version. It won't matter whether it was "mostly" or "mandatory" since every AAA developer has being using it so you can forget about trying to use the arguement against me. 

happydolphin said:

@underlined. Do you have any kind of source for that and, since when is a console pushed to its limits at launch without some heavy investment with the hardware (e.g. factor 5)?

Just so you know those were the more technically impressive game and I've yet to see alot of the other games that tops them in the same conditions such as half decent textures for a portable with above average draw distances.

happydolphin said:

Just so you know those were the more technically impressive game and I've yet to see alot of the other games that tops them in the same conditions such as half decent textures for a portable with above average draw distances.

Wow. That's it? Just your opinion, no sources, no interviews, no dev time, no nothing!

Don't wonder why people are confused. It may be more technically impressive for you, while for others it may be Kid Icarus's draw distance. But without some kind of study or proper source, people will end up going with the consensus that a console is almost never maxed out straight out of launch (it's unheard of except for Rogue Leader and even then), and that the 3DS is more powerful than the PSP.

So consensus = 3DS not maxed out yet, 3DS >> PSP.

Mnementh said:

edit:

I think you should show me what's so "crappy" about this environment.

@edit BTW that screenshot isn't representative of the whole games graphics. Most of the time your in dark rooms with muddy textures.

The discussion is about that is graphically possible, and this room is possible to render. You have free camera, you enter this room multiple times, sometimes it contains multiple enemies. After that room you have the Hall, that is even bigger, with three levels of galleries and stairs, you can look with the free camera through the whole room. No frame drops on this sequences. So if you concentrate on what is graphically possible, you only see the dark rooms with not much in it? Very unbiased, I see.

I see you reference to PC. A good equipped PC beats every console, even home console. Nobody doubts that. So what's your problem?

That's cause the game is mostly in dark rooms and thus it would be more representitive to use a darker room rather than a lit up room to show some consistency.

happydolphin said:
happydolphin said:

Wow. That's it? Just your opinion, no sources, no interviews, no dev time, no nothing!

Don't wonder why people are confused. It may be more technically impressive for you, while for others it may be Kid Icarus's draw distance. But without some kind of study or proper source, people will end up going with the consensus that a console is almost never maxed out straight out of launch (it's unheard of except for Rogue Leader and even then), and that the 3DS is more powerful than the PSP.

So concensus = 3DS not maxed out yet, 3DS >> PSP.

Like I had already said the 3Ds was more powerful but I won't go around trying to 1-up it's graphics situation since it's really not that impressive. BTW alot of the 3DS games post launch was not able to achieve any sort of of notable boost in graphics without sacrificing something. Revelations had to downgrade draw distance in order to achieve detail and while it may look good it failed to excel in every part of the technical aspects.