By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Nobody gains from console exclusivity,' says Sony's dev relations boss

pokoko said:
I really, really, really hope people understand that he's not talking about games that have been developed or funded by the console manufacturer themselves.

I really, really, really think that a lot of people do not understand this, unfortunately.  You are, of course, 100% correct.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I really, really, really hope people understand that he's not talking about games that have been developed or funded by the console manufacturer themselves.

We all KNOW, he only meant the third-party-exclusives XB1 gets. He didn't meant first-party or Deep Down. Naturally games should go only multiplat, as long it isn't on a Sony-platform.

An exec should learn to think before he opens his mouth.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

pokoko said:

That by itself doesn't necessarily mean anything.  Payday was published by Sony on both the PS3 and PC.  Mass Effect was published by Microsoft.

Actually, it looks like Rapture was funded by Sony.  Not sure about the other two.

Funded by Sony, and co-developed by Sony Santa Monica. I really doubt it's going to show up on PC.

Mnementh said:

We all KNOW, he only meant the third-party-exclusives XB1 gets. He didn't meant first-party or Deep Down. Naturally games should go only multiplat, as long it isn't on a Sony-platform.

Or... he was talking to a bunch of indie developers at an indie convention about why Sony doesn't believe in forcing small developers to jump through hoops of exclusivity in order to self-publish on their system.

Mnementh said:
pokoko said:

Dude, what are you smoking?

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Mnementh said:

Or... he was talking to a bunch of indie developers at an indie convention about why Sony doesn't believe in forcing small developers to jump through hoops of exclusivity in order to self-publish on their system.

You can turn it every way you will, Sony wouldn't say that if they would get more exclusive contracts. And point is, an exec should better think about what he says. Thinks about the always on stuff that this Orth-guy said. This is not the same league, but it is in the same way a statement without thinking it through.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:

You can turn it every way you will, Sony wouldn't say that if they would get more exclusive contracts. And point is, an exec should better think about what he says. Thinks about the always on stuff that this Orth-guy said. This is not the same league, but it is in the same way a statement without thinking it through.

You do realize that you are reacting to four sentences taken from a keynote address, right? But yes, I agree that Adam Boyes should really think twice before letting Gamasutra take his words out of context like that. What a stupid man who looks like Glenn Beck!

badgenome said:
Mnementh said:

You do realize that you are reacting to four sentences taken from a keynote address, right? But yes, I agree that Adam Boyes should really think twice before letting Gamasutra take his words out of context like that. What a stupid man who looks like Glenn Beck!

"Right now exclusives are just a way for to brag louder."

What context should this have, to be interpreted completely different. It stands, he means that Nobody gains from exclusivity, as long as it isn't on Sony-platforms. This unspoken second part is what people here in the thread poke fun at, because everybody very well knows what he meant. Yes, it was in the context of an indie-dev-conference. But you was directly before answering my post answering pokoko that Rapture probably will stay exclusive. So in every way you can look at it - this statement was spoken with an unspoken exception for Sony.

Nobody really criticizing that. That is normality. All people here are only poking fun with it, talking about Sony-1st-party, or Sony-exclusives from third-parties (including indies).

Xen said:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm yeah if you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything at all.

And don't forget to release Infamous SS on XB1 and Wii U while you're at it.

This!

In Gods we trust. Dattebayo...

WiiU ID:         Aias23

Xbox360/XboxOne ID:  Aias23

3DS FC:         3737 9509 2938

Mnementh said:

"Right now exclusives are just a way for to brag louder."

What context should this have, to be interpreted completely different. It stands, he means that Nobody gains from exclusivity, as long as it isn't on Sony-platforms. This unspoken second part is what people here in the thread poke fun at, because everybody very well knows what he meant. Yes, it was in the context of an indie-dev-conference. But you was directly before answering my post answering pokoko that Rapture probably will stay exclusive. So in every way you can look at it - this statement was spoken with an unspoken exception for Sony.

Nobody really criticizing that. That is normality. All people here are only poking fun with it, talking about Sony-1st-party, or Sony-exclusives from third-parties (including indies).

Yes, he did say, "Right now exclusives are just a way for to brag louder." Followed by, "Nobody gains from exclusivity in perpetuity." And preceded by an acknowledgement that exclusive games do drive console sales. You are even ignoring what little context was provided.

Boyes is simply telling indies - who can choose to focus on bigger markets like PC or mobile rather than try to jump through all the hoops typically associated with working on consoles, and many of them are - that Sony isn't going to try to limit what they can do with their own game. These are not people who are stupid enough to believe him if he says, "Gee, you know what would really be great for you guys? If you only made games for our platform." His point is that everyone, including Sony, benefits from developers being successful and, you know, staying alive to make more games in the future, and a big part of being successful is hitting as big an audience as possible - which means going multiplatform.

There is only an exception for Sony if you spectacularly and/or willfully misunderstand what he was saying. If anyone should think before speaking, it's a whole bunch of people in this thread.