By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Nobody gains from console exclusivity,' says Sony's dev relations boss

MohammadBadir said:
bananaking21 said:

ohh a remake thats trying to be funny instead of an actual counter arguement, who would have thought i would get that hmm. well i guess thats the only thing you can resort to when you are trying to back up a fasle losing argument.

be honest with me here, you think the PSX/2 would've sold as it would have without all of these exclusives like Final Fantasy, GTA and MGS?

am i insane? of course they wouldnt. now you be honest with me here, is the ONLY reason the PS1 and PS2 a success is because third party exclusives like zero claimed?

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
MohammadBadir said:
bananaking21 said:

ohh a remake thats trying to be funny instead of an actual counter arguement, who would have thought i would get that hmm. well i guess thats the only thing you can resort to when you are trying to back up a fasle losing argument.

be honest with me here, you think the PSX/2 would've sold as it would have without all of these exclusives like Final Fantasy, GTA and MGS?

am i insane? of course they wouldnt. now you be honest with me here, is the ONLY reason the PS1 and PS2 a success is because third party exclusives like zero claimed?

no, to be honest i thought he said it was the "main" reason because it is, obviously there are other factors like cheap CD/DVD playabillity, etc.

MohammadBadir said:
bananaking21 said:
MohammadBadir said:
bananaking21 said:

no, to be honest i thought he said it was the "main" reason because it is, obviously there are other factors like cheap CD/DVD playabillity, etc.

"said the company who only got the sucess of ps and ps2 thanks to many third party exclusives".

his exact words. 

bananaking21 said:
MohammadBadir said:

"said the company who only got the sucess of ps and ps2 thanks to many third party exclusives".

his exact words. 

like i said, i thought he said it was the main reason. so yeah i made a mistake. sorry

Anyone else rather happy that people are still coming into this thread and posting comments about first-party exclusives?  That, to me, is bloody awesome.  Totally ridiculous, sure, but that's where the fun comes in.

On topic, it sounds like his message is, "we won't force you to be exclusives," which I'm sure makes the developers very happy.  The restrictive policies of last gen were bad for small developers.

Around the Network

Sony gained alot of support because Nintendo treated 3Rd parties like crap at the time and made poor choices. Sony became developer friendly company. Also, you guys are talking about something from over 13years ago. It made sense for developers to make exclusives during that period when one system sold 70% of the market. He is obviously talking about the current market that everyone pretty much has an equal market share.

binary solo said:
Nem said:

He is just trying to charm up 3rd parties.

Sony is the only company that isnt making any partnerships for 3rd party exclusives. Though we have heard they helped Capcom with Deep Down, im unsure if its not just rumors.

He knows exclusives are important and there is clearly someone who gains from them. The consumer and therefore the developer/publisher.

The consumer gains from exclusivity? The developer gains from exclusivity? I don't think so, only the hardware company gains from exclusivity. You think Rockstar would have gained from having GTA IV, RDR and GTAV exclusive to one platform? You think EA would be better off with Madden and Fifa exclusive to one platform? You think the Saints Row franchise would do better if it was on one platform only? You think Bayonetta 2 is going to be better off only being on Wii U?

The guy is fundamentally right, it's odd so many people are trying to find a way to criticise him by taking him out of context and suggesting he meant 1st party exclusives. You've got to consider the audience he was talking to, and that's indies. So the context he's talking in is 3rd party devs, and small ones at that. And for indies being on multiple platforms is where they all, more or less, want to end up.

To your questions, yes i do.

One system = less investment required for the consumer. Sales would be the same, except all piled up on one system. Pretty similar to what we had with the PS2 era. When you have one system and all games come out for it, its better for everyone. The market isnt fractured and theres no need to invest on multiple ports of the same game. So, yes, i think its beneficial and less risky for all parties involved.

The only drawback is that it leads to monopolist practices.

Anyways he is talking about indies so this whole thing is taken out of context. For indies, yes its good to be in as many systems as possible to gain exposure.

J_Allard said:
IDK, something tells me if indie developers didn't benefit from these deals they sign with Sony/MS, they'd stop doing them. Maybe this guy has forgotten that a bulk of Sony's exclusives announced thus far are indie titles.

Since those games' exclusivities (such as they are, because I think they're all on or coming to PC as well) don't seem to be the result of any deals with Sony but the simple fact that Sony allows self-publishing and Microsoft doesn't, I don't think he has forgotten that. The only deal we know of is Jonathan Blow signing a six month console exclusivity deal for The Witness to be a part of the PS4 launch announcement, and he already said that was basically a formality because he doesn't have the manpower to do an Xbone port yet anyway.

bananaking21 said:
MohammadBadir said:
bananaking21 said:
MohammadBadir said:
bananaking21 said:

his exact words. 

I took his post to mean they only got the level of success that they did by having the exlusives.  Perhaps you were receiving it too literally.  I guess we'll never know.

Rogerioandrade said:
If Sony had 17 of the 20 all-time best selling games, he wouldn´t have said such idioticy

Lol at idioticy