By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 'Nobody gains from console exclusivity,' says Sony's dev relations boss

Source: Gamasutra.com

'Nobody gains from console exclusivity,' says Sony's dev relations boss

"Right now exclusives are just a way for [console makers] to brag louder. Nobody gains from exclusivity in perpetuity."

- Sony Computer Entertainment America's Adam Boyes.

In a candid keynote address at IndieCade's professional conference today, Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) VP of publisher and developer relations Adam Boyes acknowledged that though console exclusivity might drive console sales, it wasn't fundamentally productive to either console makers or developers.

"Right now exclusives are just a way for [console makers] to brag louder," said Boyes. "Nobody gains from exclusivity in perpetuity."

Boyes likened console manufacturers to car dealerships, wherein independent developers served as high-end car mechanics capable of fine-tuning the machine's performance and bringing "real innovation" to the platform. Nevertheless, he did not see long-term exclusivity as fitting in with that analogy.

"Developers now have the option to deliver on a huge number of platforms," said Boyes. "We want developers to be successful." And that, he said, leads almost inevitably to multiplatform publishing.

Around the Network

Uuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm yeah if you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything at all.

And don't forget to release Infamous SS on XB1 and Wii U while you're at it.

For a guy with a dying handheld and a unlaunched new console with zero units in the install base, he seems prett indiferent to what is good for Sony.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Xen said:

Those are potential sales they would have if they did that. Hence why nobody gains from exclusivity in perpetuity :P

Because having 3 platforms that all have the same games is a brilliant idea?

Around the Network

crazyness

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

AgentZorn said:
Because having 3 platforms that all have the same games is a brilliant idea?

You wouldn't have 3 platforms anymore if this were to happen, i guess!

Then again, if you compare it to something like Android and Smartphones; They all have the same OS but different hardware. And still there is place for a lot of models on the market. The hardware can be a differentiator, if software was the same.

progressive.

Wright said:
Xen said:

Those are potential sales they would have if they did that. Hence why nobody gains from exclusivity in perpetuity :P

Nah... that is a continuation of saying nothing good by doing nothing good... for themselves at least... but I appreciate your theory.

The keyword is IndieCade or International Festival of Independent Games.