By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The more I try the Wii U, the less appealing it becomes to me. What am I missing?

What strikes me is that even the new DK and MArio games make no use of the screen (very minor and uninspired at least). Nintendo have so far no utilised the only feature which attracts anyone to the Wii U. Strange especially since the PS4 and XBone are obviously much more superior consoles. Nintendo really lost touch. Next gen is time for a reboot but they did pretty good to hurt their brand :/

Around the Network

@OP

You're really not getting a good sampling of the Wii U if all you've played are the levels of Rayman that make you look back and forth between the screens, and Nintendo Land. Not by a long shot.

You want some good Wii U action? Try Lego City. Try Wonderful 101, which is a lot of fun. Try Pikmin 3 (even IF it needs to have swarming). Wait for Mario or DK or even Mario Kart next year. There will be games that will make Wii U and it's controller absolutely shine. What you tried briefly just wasn't it.

You missed the point of the system until now its supposed to make multiplayer alot better and is just adding minimal changes to the single player (newer games will change that of course)

You have to play zombiu or windwaker HD (tingle tuner replacement etc) to understand. You are playing a multiplayer game (Nintendoland) alone thats why its not working for you.
Well or sonic allstar racing transformed with 4 other friends (you have a 5 player mode exclusivly to WiiU thanks to the gamepad)

pokoko said:
From what I've seen, the best uses for the control pad thing aren't as a second screen for gaming.

Honestly, most of its functions during television gaming are pretty gimmicky. Almost everything can be performed just as well by toggling another menu on the main screen, like the silly scope thing or with maps. Inventory seems pretty cool, and I've read about a few others, but none seem necessary. Most of the time, I really don't want to focus my eyes back and forth between a close screen and a distant screen, so it has that against it.

On the other hand, as a television/media controller, it seems pretty nifty, and the remote play thing is nice. I get the impression those are its best features.

I know Nintendo tried to put the hardware before the horse, which was a mistake, but the proof of a system will always be the games. If someone bought a Wii U, it should have been because they're a fan of Nintendo as a developer of games; if they bought it because of the controller, I have no sympathy.

This.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

snyps said:

you are missing a couch, you are missing touch control of music videos on tv while you browse with internet browser, you are missing the seemless switching between gaming and internet browsing, and you are missing the ability to let it go.

This is more accurate than many people may realize.

The WiiU is best experienced from within a home environment, where you can actually utilize what it's designed to do. It doesn't really work well in stores.

Not saying it'll change your mind if you take one home. But the benefits of the WiiU are much more easily experienced at home. Countless times has my wife or daughter decided she wanted to watch something on the TV while I was playing a game, and all I had to do was swap the game to the pad and they could have the TV for whatever they wanted while I kept on trucking. I haven't played too many games that benefit from having a second screen, but I've played countless games that benefited from having an alternative screen.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

Leaving yourself exposed to crucifixion, you are a courageous man Richard. Anyway, you didn't miss anything, for me the gamepad is a flawed design, doesn't add many significant gameplay features, instead adds a lot to the price of the console, so I totally agree with your opinion and understand your experience.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

eFKac said:
Leaving yourself exposed to crucifixion, you are a courageous man Richard. Anyway, you didn't miss anything, for me the gamepad is a flawed design, doesn't add many significant gameplay features, instead adds a lot to the price of the console, so I totally agree with your opinion and understand your experience.

I'm shocked you'd say such a thing, shocked I say/sarcasm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-uTnqYHZ-I

Knowing Richardhutnik, its all about those 8GB GDDR5 and the power of the cloud. If that is what gets him warm and fuzzy, then he can buy one of those systems.

Quite frankly, I've had quite a few people at my apartment and they all loved the UPad, except that crazed sony fanboy friend of mine whom refuse to touch anything Nintendo related. So far "Mario Chase" and "Luigi's Haunted Mansion" have been a huge success with "normal" people at my place. 

Incubi said:
eFKac said:

Knowing Richardhutnik, its all about those 8GB GDDR5 and the power of the cloud. If that is what gets him warm and fuzzy, then he can buy one of those systems.

Quite frankly, I've had quite a few people at my apartment and they all loved the UPad, except that crazed sony fanboy friend of mine whom refuse to touch anything Nintendo related. So far "Mario Chase" and "Luigi's Haunted Mansion" have been a huge success with "normal" people at my place. 

From what I remember of his post history, he's rather a retro gamer than a guy who can't wait to get his hands on new tech, so I don't think it's hating cause Wii U is underpowered. He never said anything about power or tech in this thread. Anyway, opinions. There will be people saying PS4 is shit cause it's "more of the same with better graphics"(lol) like it's a bad thing and I won't try to change their opinion. They are in this thread already. So let the OP have his opinion.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

eFKac said:
Incubi said:
eFKac said:

From what I remember of his post history, he's rather a retro gamer than a guy who can't wait to get his hands on new tech, so I don't think it's hating cause Wii U is underpowered. He never said anything about power or tech in this thread. Anyway, opinions. There will be people saying PS4 is shit cause it's "more of the same with better graphics"(lol) like it's a bad thing and I won't try to change their opinion. They are in this thread already. So let the OP have his opinion.

I dont know. I got the impression that he's currently at war with John Lucas in another thread where John argues that the power of WiiU is enough for this generation and MS and Sony overshooting the market with overly expensive powerful hardware. While Richard argues the opposite.  Thats why me and bananaking21 wrote what we wrote:p

DialgaMarine said:
I played the ZombiU demo for about 15 minutes, after hours of downloading updates, before I just turned the system off, put it back in it's box, and havn't even taken it out since February. I know I'll get blasted for this, nut it's just not a good console, by any means.

without games running on it, a console is just a tech box. therefore, there is no GOOD console. there are good GAMES.