By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The more I try the Wii U, the less appealing it becomes to me. What am I missing?

Incubi said:
eFKac said:
Incubi said:
eFKac said:
Leaving yourself exposed to crucifixion, you are a courageous man Richard. Anyway, you didn't miss anything, for me the gamepad is a flawed design, doesn't add many significant gameplay features, instead adds a lot to the price of the console, so I totally agree with your opinion and understand your experience.

I'm shocked you'd say such a thing, shocked I say/sarcasm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-uTnqYHZ-I

Knowing Richardhutnik, its all about those 8GB GDDR5 and the power of the cloud. If that is what gets him warm and fuzzy, then he can buy one of those systems.

Quite frankly, I've had quite a few people at my apartment and they all loved the UPad, except that crazed sony fanboy friend of mine whom refuse to touch anything Nintendo related. So far "Mario Chase" and "Luigi's Haunted Mansion" have been a huge success with "normal" people at my place. 

From what I remember of his post history, he's rather a retro gamer than a guy who can't wait to get his hands on new tech, so I don't think it's hating cause Wii U is underpowered. He never said anything about power or tech in this thread. Anyway, opinions. There will be people saying PS4 is shit cause it's "more of the same with better graphics"(lol) like it's a bad thing and I won't try to change their opinion. They are in this thread already. So let the OP have his opinion.

I dont know. I got the impression that he's currently at war with John Lucas in another thread where John argues that the power of WiiU is enough for this generation and MS and Sony overshooting the market with overly expensive powerful hardware. While Richard argues the opposite.  Thats why me and bananaking21 wrote what we wrote:p

Ohh Ok, the one with the pompous, dramatic, ridiculous name right? I try to skip those kinds of threads so I didn't get the joke

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Around the Network

I've played it several times at a buddy's so far (Nintendo Land, NSMBU, ZombiU, and demos of Rayman Legends and Wonderful 101), and all I can say is that I am so glad I went with my gut instinct and didn't pre-order the system during the holidays instead of getting caught up in the hype of a new console launch.

Ironically I think the games I enjoyed playing the most were the two demos. ZombiU felt like a typical rush-job launch title, NSMBU is just more of the same with slightly prettier graphics than the Wii game, but that's not really saying much... and Nintendo Land is just a sick joke that bastardizes almost everything I've come to love about Nintendo since first touching an NES controller back in 1987.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

areason said:
games son games

I have a 3DS and can get their IP there.  So, seeing what else besides the games, as a reason to get it.

richardhutnik said:
areason said:
games son games

I have a 3DS and can get their IP there.  So, seeing what else besides the games, as a reason to get it.

that's just like saying that you don't need a PS4/Xbox One for Halo and Uncharted when you can play them on the PS360.

and Xenoblade and things like that aren't on the 3DS.

kopstudent89 said:
What strikes me is that even the new DK and MArio games make no use of the screen (very minor and uninspired at least). Nintendo have so far no utilised the only feature which attracts anyone to the Wii U. Strange especially since the PS4 and XBone are obviously much more superior consoles. Nintendo really lost touch. Next gen is time for a reboot but they did pretty good to hurt their brand :/

I thought the point of Nintendoland was to sell people on why the second screen mattered.  

I do see Game and Wario does try to use the second screen differently.

Around the Network
Incubi said:
eFKac said:
Incubi said:
eFKac said:
Leaving yourself exposed to crucifixion, you are a courageous man Richard. Anyway, you didn't miss anything, for me the gamepad is a flawed design, doesn't add many significant gameplay features, instead adds a lot to the price of the console, so I totally agree with your opinion and understand your experience.

I'm shocked you'd say such a thing, shocked I say/sarcasm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-uTnqYHZ-I

Knowing Richardhutnik, its all about those 8GB GDDR5 and the power of the cloud. If that is what gets him warm and fuzzy, then he can buy one of those systems.

Quite frankly, I've had quite a few people at my apartment and they all loved the UPad, except that crazed sony fanboy friend of mine whom refuse to touch anything Nintendo related. So far "Mario Chase" and "Luigi's Haunted Mansion" have been a huge success with "normal" people at my place. 

From what I remember of his post history, he's rather a retro gamer than a guy who can't wait to get his hands on new tech, so I don't think it's hating cause Wii U is underpowered. He never said anything about power or tech in this thread. Anyway, opinions. There will be people saying PS4 is shit cause it's "more of the same with better graphics"(lol) like it's a bad thing and I won't try to change their opinion. They are in this thread already. So let the OP have his opinion.

I dont know. I got the impression that he's currently at war with John Lucas in another thread where John argues that the power of WiiU is enough for this generation and MS and Sony overshooting the market with overly expensive powerful hardware. While Richard argues the opposite.  Thats why me and bananaking21 wrote what we wrote:p

Since we are chatting about me here, let me explain some stuff....

* Had you stopped at the GDDR5 above, that would of been fine (up to a point, because I believe 8GB is what is being coded to and Nintendo has issues here).  I am not a big fan of the cloud and think Microsoft is blowing a blast processing level cloud of smoke.  Nintendo had seriously dropped the ball.

* In regards to specs, I believe that the spec level of the WiiU isn't at what game developers have called for, and is underpowered.  If you want to discuss my argument with johnlucas, it is that he is seeing that THIS generation, Microsoft and Nintendo are going to pull out, no one else will enter.  By default, 240 million WiiU systems will sell lifetime.  I happen to agree with him on the state of the industry having issues, and is not sustainable.  I just don't argue Nintendo is going to win by default.  

* In regards to what I am seeing people say, that is one place I am missing.  In multiplayer offline, the screen is a HUGE benefit, and I can understand that (it is what I thought when I first saw it).  I just don't normally play that way, if at all.  I haven't tried it that way.  What I did try is the one player games trying to use both screens, and it didn't go well.  So I posted asking what I was missing.  My post should be called as a reason to cheerleader the WIiU.

* And I am increasingly becoming retro at this point.  I watched last generation as I built up an entire bookshelf of 360 games (and some PS3 stuff) and found I never got to them.  I got caught up in the hype of stuff, and buying based on that. Money got real tight on me,and I had to rethink everything going on.  I still like games, but a matter of what can be viable for me to be able to contribute to humanity.  I found that is not in me being a consumer of stuff like GTA 5 (I do like sandbox games, but not much into criminal activity).  And in this long view I have, going back to prior the crash of the 1980s, I see what is going on.  I don't like it.  So, I stick with stuff people have abandoned as forms, and am finding that the whole Indie game rising, stuff I am into IS where the industry is going to survive.  And I do this, just as Ghost ended up not showing me anything new, and seeing more and more confirmation what the industry considers good multiplayer (online Internet with random people and disembodied voices) is seriously not fun for me.  So, I press on here.  I ideally would like to get a group of generalist in a gaming niche together and have them function the way the IFPA and PAPA do for pinball.  For me, the game stuff is a vocation side, and not really an escape from reality.  I find as an escape, most of the new games have suspect writing and aren't great on storytelling anyhow.

Anyhow, I have a meeting today I plan on doing with guys trying to organize game playing here locally, to see how it goes.

EricFabian said:
TheShape31 said:
Same here. I tried all the "best" games (NSMB, NintyLand, etc.), but the controller made the experience worse for me. I also found the controller very uncomfortable to hold. There's nothing there for me.

Mario U and NintendoLand aren't the best games on Wii U.

i.e. games that make the best use of the controller.

Sorry you're not enjoying the Wii U so far, Richard. Maybe different games from different genres would help you enjoy it more?

My advice would be not to worry too much about the GamePad. A lot of Wii U games come with several different controller configurations -- more than most home consoles -- so you can often replace the GamePad with a Pro Controller or the traditional Wii Remote.

If you're genuinely finding that the GamePad detracts from the Wii U games you're playing, I'm not sure what advice to give. Personally, I find that the GamePad either enhances the overall experience or has no impact whatsoever. I haven't run into a situation where the GamePad makes me want to stop playing a game.

Anyway, good luck! I hope you find a Wii U game you like.

serious ? well..

its more comfortable having it playing at home rather than an event. thats what you missing.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

If you don't like the controller of the Wii U, there's only one option...

Try one of the other several controllers Nintendo has offered up for Wii U owners. Like the WiiMote, or Pro Controller. (I don't really know if it's possible to use the Pro controller for all games, though.)