By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The more I try the Wii U, the less appealing it becomes to me. What am I missing?

MikeRox said:
Arius Dion said:
Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:

All it tells me is SS was overhyped and had the fact that it requires motion plus going against in 2012 of all years.

WSR required M+ That didn't flop. Overhyped? Sure, I agree there. But all that means is the game didn't deliver, and as such, took a hit in sales. The lowest selling console Zelda ever, on Nintendo's best selling home console says the series is has declined. And I doubt it has hardware selling power like the good old days.

Maybe, maybe not. I do think part of the loss of appeal is because it was no longer "cutting edge technology" powering the games due to Nintendo not carrying on with the technical hardware race.

I think a Zelda game utilising the power of a console of equivalent power of the XONE/PS4 would generate far more interest and have a lot more sales power than a 360/PS3 powered Zelda will do (which is what we're going to get).

That said, personally I can't wait to try Wind Waker again, one of the most amazing looking games of all time, redone in HD, with all the bad parts taken out? Sign me up! Maybe I'll learn to love the game far more :D

I disagree, Hardware 'power' is not going to change Zelda, it would just be a better looking turd. Zelda's Content is what sold Zelda, the gameplay sold Zelda. The game was excellence defined. The NES Zelda did things better with less hardware than PC's could dream of doing at the time.

Hardware specs were overrated then, and continue to be overrated now.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

Oh I agree it wouldn't be any better a game, but people be graphics obsessed and I know a LOT of people who turned their nose up at Wii games purely because they weren't HD and didn't have as good lighting or particle effects etc.

It's very important to some people, to the point they will ignore great games purely because the graphics aren't good enough.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
Oh I agree it wouldn't be any better a game, but people be graphics obsessed and I know a LOT of people who turned their nose up at Wii games purely because they weren't HD and didn't have as good lighting or particle effects etc.

It's very important to some people, to the point they will ignore great games purely because the graphics aren't good enough.

Eh, trying to chase those types will lead a company toward the road travelled by THQ and others. Its financial suicide.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

THQ killed themselves with the U draw tablet. But I agree in general, the entire games industry is on a path of self destruction at the moment. IMO

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

THQ got in this mess over bad deals^

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
THQ killed themselves with the U draw tablet. But I agree in general, the entire games industry is on a path of self destruction at the moment. IMO

I don't think the industry is on the pace to destruction, it's simply changing, what's basically happening is smartphones/tablets are chewing up the lower end game experiences like the casual types of games that you want to play for 5-15 minutes a day. 

Then you have the big tier games like GTA, COD, Uncharted, God of War, etc. that people buy a home console for. 

What's getting squeezed is the middle tier stuff -- gaming centric handhelds, mid-budget games like Rayman, Puppeteer, and Wonderful 101, etc. 

It seems like cartoony cell phone games are cannibalizing cartoony home console games like the three I mentioned there. Aside from a handful of popular Nintendo IP and Skylanders/Disney Infinite toy lines, colorful console games are having a very rough go of it, I wonder if kids are starting to segmentize what types of games they want on certain platforms. 

Incubi said:
richardhutnik said:

Salewise, and active playing fanbasewise that generates content, Elder Scrolls franchise is now more relevant in the mind of current gamers.  Zelda is still a key franchise, but for sales and buzz, it has been past.  These sales are pretty much across each platform Skyrim sold on.  It sold more on the platforms than Skyward Sword sold on the Wii.  And the Wii U is NOT getting Elder Scrolls at this point.

OK, i'm starting ot get sick and tired of all your "Elder Scrolls is now a bigger franchise than Zelda" crap. If Nintendo give people the Zelda they want, peoples mind will explode again. Just like it allways did. Zelda is still king - the right kind of Zelda is still king. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXrsK8ICp8E

A new Elder Scrolls game will NEVER get a reaction like that. Not Ever. 

Dude, as in TODAY.  At this moment, the Elder Scrolls franchise sells more and has more people actively interested in it than the Zelda franchise.  That is reality.  Zelda is of less interest to core gamers in this day and age.  Now, Elder Scrolls could tail off and Zelda could pick up, but this day and age, check which one is selling more and generating more viral content.  Skyrim was bigger salewise and relevancy TODAY than Skyward Swords (a new IP) did.  That is reality.  Elder Scrolls being on PC and multiplatform console helps out a bunch here.

And this is typical of people on the Internet:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111120202628AAGaMip

The buzz now is with Elder Scrolls, even if Zelda is a more storied franchise.

Also, if you are THAT serious about reaction being a big deal, go look up people posting videos reaction to Skyrim.

Soundwave said:

2D Mario is a far bigger brand than Zelda and Smash Bros. (NSMB Wii outsold both Wii Zelda games and Smash Bros. Brawl combined) ... so why isn't that at least pushing Wii U sales to even GameCube levels? Shouldn't it be enjoying that post-Wii surge in popularity that you're banking on applying to other franchises? Perhaps the Wii formula really was driven more by the popularity of Wii Sports/"get off the couch" gaming. 

You keep falling back on this argument, as have others, even though it's been talked to death and sifted through endlessly. You point out that 2D Mario is a "far bigger brand", which is a fair point to argue. However, you and others keep trying to imply "Well if 2D Mario is so huge, then why hasn't Wii U sold more?", as if that's all there is to it. And the reasons why have been pointed out again and again and again by several people, myself included, but just for shits and giggles, since apparently no one pays attention to answers anymore, here goes:

1. Nintendo fucked up by releasing NSMB2 on 3DS FAR too close to Wii U launch. That game coming out seriously ate away at a good chunk of enthusiasm that NSMBU otherwise likely would have garnered. If there had been no NSMB2, or it had been released later, there would have been a roughly 3 year gap between NSMBWii and U. Plenty of time for a sequel to feel fresh and for people to be excited for it. But releasing two entries in the series so close together felt like overkill to a lot of folks, and thus the effect NSMBU might have had right out of the gate was slightly (but NOT fully) negated.

2. Having said that, if you go bother looking at the numbers yourself, as of June 2013, the Wii U had sold (according to Nintendo) about 3.6 million units worldwide. Around that time, NSMBU had also sold around 2 million copies worldwide. That is an attachment rate of over 50%, for a game that was not a pack-in like Nintendo Land was. If you don't call that good sales, and "helping sell the console", then I don't know what is.

3. The final, and most important point that those of you repeatedly bring this "Why hasn't NSMB sold more Wii U's" argument up seem to ignore, is that NO single game can sell a console all by itself. Not indefinitely. There needs to be other software, there needs to be complimentary games that people know exist and want to also entice them to buy a system. The Wii did not succeed MERELY on the back of Wii Sports. It also had Zelda, it had Mario Galaxy, it had Metroid Prime 3, it had Mario Kart, and Smash Bros., and Wii Fit, and NSMBWii, etc. etc. etc. etc. It had a lot of other titles that as a whole package, made buying the console a more attractive prospect to many potential buyers.

It also helped that after Wii's Fall 2006 launch, during 2007, the console LITERALLY had at least one Nintendo published title released, almost every single month of the year, from Jan. through Dec. That is called driving momentum. AND there were also great third party titles made available that year, such as Zack and Wiki, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godzilla Unleashed, Alien Syndrome, Bomberman Land, Geometry Wars, Dragon Quest Swords, Chocobo's Dungeon, Guitar Hero III, Soul Calibur Legends, Manhunt 2, MySims, Puzzle Quest, RE4: Wii Edition, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, Tiger Woods, etc. etc. etc.

When you look at it, the Wii actually had a very good first year, support-wise, both from Nintendo and third parties. And that support remained fairly strong in 2008. In other words, the momentum created by the lauch of Wii and the popularity of Wii Sports, was carried on by a healthy amount of OTHER software. Wii U has not had that, and you can't even begin to argue that it has. Wii U had a fairly strong launch, with a solid lineup of titles, and sold around 3 million units just in that month and a half or so at the end of 2012. It did well then, it had a successful launch. It was AFTER that, from Jan. 2012 onward, when it faltered. Why? Because Jan. and Feb. both literally saw ZERO Wii U retail releases. March had a handful of titles, including fairly successful games like Lego City and MH3. April and May were sparse, as was most of the summer. It wasn't until September that a real steady flow of games have started to come out. Wii had nothing like that. Neither did GC, or even N64. They all had SOMETHING coming out, enough notable titles coming out on a somewhat steady basis, to carry momentum. Wii U's momentum was killed dead by that long stretch of nothing. People who are sitting on the fence of whether to buy a console, are more than likely NOT going to choose to buy one if they perceive that it "has nothing coming out for it". Which for awhile, it almost didn't.

THUS, in closing, New Super Mario Bros. U did and has actually done it's job as a marque title rather well, when you look at the attach rate. It's the fact that there was SO LITTLE ELSE coming out for the system, nothing to really help carry and build that momentum from launch onward. That's why the system sales faltered. So bringing up "Why hasn't NSMBU done better".....well, look at the system sales. Guaranteed more people will buy that game as they finally get around to purchasing the system. That game will continue to have legs, and it will be one reason people get the console. But one reason usually isn't enough for anyone, myself included, to justify spending hundreds of dollars. BUT, as stated, with games like DKCR and Mario Kart and Smash Bros. and Zelda, etc. etc. coming, that will change.

DevilRising said:
Soundwave said:

2D Mario is a far bigger brand than Zelda and Smash Bros. (NSMB Wii outsold both Wii Zelda games and Smash Bros. Brawl combined) ... so why isn't that at least pushing Wii U sales to even GameCube levels? Shouldn't it be enjoying that post-Wii surge in popularity that you're banking on applying to other franchises? Perhaps the Wii formula really was driven more by the popularity of Wii Sports/"get off the couch" gaming. 

You keep falling back on this argument, as have others, even though it's been talked to death and sifted through endlessly. You point out that 2D Mario is a "far bigger brand", which is a fair point to argue. However, you and others keep trying to imply "Well if 2D Mario is so huge, then why hasn't Wii U sold more?", as if that's all there is to it. And the reasons why have been pointed out again and again and again by several people, myself included, but just for shits and giggles, since apparently no one pays attention to answers anymore, here goes:

1. Nintendo fucked up by releasing NSMB2 on 3DS FAR too close to Wii U launch. That game coming out seriously ate away at a good chunk of enthusiasm that NSMBU otherwise likely would have garnered. If there had been no NSMB2, or it had been released later, there would have been a roughly 3 year gap between NSMBWii and U. Plenty of time for a sequel to feel fresh and for people to be excited for it. But releasing two entries in the series so close together felt like overkill to a lot of folks, and thus the effect NSMBU might have had right out of the gate was slightly (but NOT fully) negated.

2. Having said that, if you go bother looking at the numbers yourself, as of June 2013, the Wii U had sold (according to Nintendo) about 3.6 million units worldwide. Around that time, NSMBU had also sold around 2 million copies worldwide. That is an attachment rate of over 50%, for a game that was not a pack-in like Nintendo Land was. If you don't call that good sales, and "helping sell the console", then I don't know what is.

3. The final, and most important point that those of you repeatedly bring this "Why hasn't NSMB sold more Wii U's" argument up seem to ignore, is that NO single game can sell a console all by itself. Not indefinitely. There needs to be other software, there needs to be complimentary games that people know exist and want to also entice them to buy a system. The Wii did not succeed MERELY on the back of Wii Sports. It also had Zelda, it had Mario Galaxy, it had Metroid Prime 3, it had Mario Kart, and Smash Bros., and Wii Fit, and NSMBWii, etc. etc. etc. etc. It had a lot of other titles that as a whole package, made buying the console a more attractive prospect to many potential buyers.

It also helped that after Wii's Fall 2006 launch, during 2007, the console LITERALLY had at least one Nintendo published title released, almost every single month of the year, from Jan. through Dec. That is called driving momentum. AND there were also great third party titles made available that year, such as Zack and Wiki, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godzilla Unleashed, Alien Syndrome, Bomberman Land, Geometry Wars, Dragon Quest Swords, Chocobo's Dungeon, Guitar Hero III, Soul Calibur Legends, Manhunt 2, MySims, Puzzle Quest, RE4: Wii Edition, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, Tiger Woods, etc. etc. etc.

When you look at it, the Wii actually had a very good first year, support-wise, both from Nintendo and third parties. And that support remained fairly strong in 2008. In other words, the momentum created by the lauch of Wii and the popularity of Wii Sports, was carried on by a healthy amount of OTHER software. Wii U has not had that, and you can't even begin to argue that it has. Wii U had a fairly strong launch, with a solid lineup of titles, and sold around 3 million units just in that month and a half or so at the end of 2012. It did well then, it had a successful launch. It was AFTER that, from Jan. 2012 onward, when it faltered. Why? Because Jan. and Feb. both literally saw ZERO Wii U retail releases. March had a handful of titles, including fairly successful games like Lego City and MH3. April and May were sparse, as was most of the summer. It wasn't until September that a real steady flow of games have started to come out. Wii had nothing like that. Neither did GC, or even N64. They all had SOMETHING coming out, enough notable titles coming out on a somewhat steady basis, to carry momentum. Wii U's momentum was killed dead by that long stretch of nothing. People who are sitting on the fence of whether to buy a console, are more than likely NOT going to choose to buy one if they perceive that it "has nothing coming out for it". Which for awhile, it almost didn't.

THUS, in closing, New Super Mario Bros. U did and has actually done it's job as a marque title rather well, when you look at the attach rate. It's the fact that there was SO LITTLE ELSE coming out for the system, nothing to really help carry and build that momentum from launch onward. That's why the system sales faltered. So bringing up "Why hasn't NSMBU done better".....well, look at the system sales. Guaranteed more people will buy that game as they finally get around to purchasing the system. That game will continue to have legs, and it will be one reason people get the console. But one reason usually isn't enough for anyone, myself included, to justify spending hundreds of dollars. BUT, as stated, with games like DKCR and Mario Kart and Smash Bros. and Zelda, etc. etc. coming, that will change.

I have told Soundwave this multiple times and he still uses that argument.

imagine if Xbox One launched with Halo, Kinect Sports and a handful of multiplats, it would probably have a very strong launch but then proceeded to only have 15 retail releases in the following 8 months, im pretty sure sales would nosedive.

Same goes for PS4 if it launched with Gran Turismo 6, LittleBig Planet 3, multiplats followed by an 8 month drought consisting of only 15 games.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.