By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The more I try the Wii U, the less appealing it becomes to me. What am I missing?

The games that do sell have some interesting facts attached to them, if and when the WiiU starts selling better I suspect some people will be surprised about some of the numbers and sales trends

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
Arius Dion said:
The Wii U isn't resonating with the market at all. That is fact, sales numbers are as close to facts as we can get right now. The reasons are numerous, variables that are controllable and not, but the one thing that is funny to see is the consumers being blamed for not buying a 'luxury' product, or not seeing the value in it. I've found that hardcore Nintendo fans are no different than any other hardcore fan; If you don't like something a company does or how its operating, you are just a hater and not a true fan.

After nearly a year, the Gamepad is still being spoken of as if it is full of 'potential' but there is no concrete game that resonates with the market to illustrate this potential. All games upcoming play better with the Remote Nunchuck combo, or Pro Controller. WSC requires M+. The Gamepad is an albatross, the sooner this is seen, the better off Nintendo will be. This whole system has been a clusterfuck of bad decision making, at the worst possible time as the economy is really struggling.

Amazing how much praise Gamecube receives on forums, meanwhile it was a huge market failure. The problem here isn't gamers like Richard, the problem lies with Nintendo. They've managed to create a system that repulses the majority of gamers to appease a loud minority. So be it, they will enjoy lackluster sales, and become a joke in the market they saved..just like the Gamecube days.

the only fact is that it wasn't selling because it didn't have the games.

Exactly what game is supposed to function as a killer app?  Nintendo came out with Pikmin.  They also launched with Mario game.  They have a second Mario game coming.  Exactly WHAT is Nintendo supposed to come out with that makes a difference?  Is it the remake of a Zelda game that isn't exactly the most popular, or is it Smash Bros, or is it Mario Kart?  Or, maybe somehow a Metroid is supposed to make a difference?  Or is it Animal Crossing?

And why do I seem to be going through a bunch of IP that they have released a bunch of times before?  What is going to be said if, after all these said IP come out, the Wii U still sells sluggishly?

Because these titles dont have a history of selling sluggishly, especially when a system has momentum established?
If they dont sell Nintendo has to make something else, that is like asking what someone will do when their brand line of popular toys stops selling. (What would you ask Activision? The kill their own things by milking them to death anyway lol )

They have a serious load of dormant Ip's just sitting around anyway.

Donkey Kong 3D has sold well for itself.

richardhutnik said:
Zero999 said:

Exactly what game is supposed to function as a killer app?  Nintendo came out with Pikmin.  They also launched with Mario game.  They have a second Mario game coming.  Exactly WHAT is Nintendo supposed to come out with that makes a difference?  Is it the remake of a Zelda game that isn't exactly the most popular, or is it Smash Bros, or is it Mario Kart?  Or, maybe somehow a Metroid is supposed to make a difference?  Or is it Animal Crossing?

And why do I seem to be going through a bunch of IP that they have released a bunch of times before?  What is going to be said if, after all these said IP come out, the Wii U still sells sluggishly?

bolded: the colectiveness of a number of quality titles.

bolded2: like 98% of the industry?

Zero999 said:
richardhutnik said:
Zero999 said:

bolded: the colectiveness of a number of quality titles. (Nope the entire ecosystem and set up is the "killer app"

You want a killer app? You get one. DUAL PERSPECTIVES< TOP DOWN ON GAMEPAD FIRST PERSON ON THE TELLY.

YOU WIN.

/sarcasm

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
richardhutnik said:
Zero999 said:

bolded: the colectiveness of a number of quality titles.

My reason for the second one, my reason for mentioning it is that I would like to know what Nintendo is coming out that isn't what was done before, or once the rehashes hit, it is over if it doesn't click.  I will say here, what you are seeing for the next generation is new IPs actually.  For Nintendo that is stuff like Wonderful 101.

I'd pretty much bet money if Nintendo had to do it all over again, the Wii U design would be pretty different if they knew it was going to turn out like this.

The tablet controller would've been an accessory like the Balance Board almost assuredly, but for now there's not much they can do but ride this storm out and hope the sun comes out again.

That remains to be seen, they went to IBM and AMD for this stuff, Nintendo's been working with Power PC for a long while themselves, we'll see what happens

AMD can come up with a multitude of options for any of their hardware vendors. That's why they are supplying all three console manufacturers this gen.

Im just saying the spent a lot of time putting thought into the machine^