By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The more I try the Wii U, the less appealing it becomes to me. What am I missing?

TheShape31 said:
EricFabian said:
TheShape31 said:
EricFabian said:
TheShape31 said:
Same here. I tried all the "best" games (NSMB, NintyLand, etc.), but the controller made the experience worse for me. I also found the controller very uncomfortable to hold. There's nothing there for me.

Mario U and NintendoLand aren't the best games on Wii U.

i.e. games that make the best use of the controller.

so I will say again: Mario U and NintendoLand aren't the best games on Wii U.

Batman uses gamepad better. Pikmin 3 as well. Heck, even Mass Effect 3 is better.

I even played Batman and Pikmin, and I still think that the controller gets in the way of a better experience.  And I originally put "best" in quotation marks because they're the games that have been touted by Nintendo as the games to best showcase the remote.  Every time I tried the controller, I enjoyed the experience less.  I'm not trying to get into a pointless conversation about which games we each feel use the gamepad better.  It's no good for me with any game, end of story.

Maybe it just me but the pad definitely enhances the experience and is worth every penny of the cost to the unit. It gets in the way about as much as a traditional controller only with the benefit of the screen. Glance down, make your changes, look back up. Much faster than constantly having to pause. After a little while glancing down becomes 2nd nature.

Around the Network

I'm hoping they do a slimmer controller. I'm really enjoying Pikmin 3, but the pad is a bit too big and bulky for my liking. Something more like a Vita (with the shoulder grips) would be fantastic.

I don't think Nintendo were ready for what HD development required (look how off guard a lot of Japanese devs were in the early 360/PS3 days) and I think also then diverting resources to boost the 3DS library in 2011 meant that a lot of Wii U titles got far less resources than were needed for when the Wii U was due to launch.

I'm sure the software will be fantastic next year. I just wish I could say the same for the pad.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

richardhutnik said:
kopstudent89 said:
What strikes me is that even the new DK and MArio games make no use of the screen (very minor and uninspired at least). Nintendo have so far no utilised the only feature which attracts anyone to the Wii U. Strange especially since the PS4 and XBone are obviously much more superior consoles. Nintendo really lost touch. Next gen is time for a reboot but they did pretty good to hurt their brand :/

I thought the point of Nintendoland was to sell people on why the second screen mattered.  

I do see Game and Wario does try to use the second screen differently.

Game Pad is no good of use in a party game imo. It's nothing like a Wii mote. In any case Nintendo Land wasn't enough, they should've had a plan B/C and they didn't. Game and Wario released 8 months after release!! Ridiculous. 

It seems to me the Wii U touch screen Gamepad is not really about improving Nintendo First Party games a great deal. But to improve other non gaming features: Miiverse, eShop & Internet Browser or making other feature actual possible in the first place: Off-TV Play, Nintendo TVii, Wii U Chat.

I would much preferred if they had just improved on Wii Remote+Nunchuk and made a controller which was closer to standard game-pad with added motion controls. But I can fully understand why they went with the Wii U current design even with how poorly it currently doing. The Wii U may not turn out to massive hit for Nintendo but with the growth of tablet market and their invertible push into more serious gaming in the future. The Wii U could be very useful step stone for Nintendo in the long run.

kopstudent89 said:
richardhutnik said:
kopstudent89 said:
What strikes me is that even the new DK and MArio games make no use of the screen (very minor and uninspired at least). Nintendo have so far no utilised the only feature which attracts anyone to the Wii U. Strange especially since the PS4 and XBone are obviously much more superior consoles. Nintendo really lost touch. Next gen is time for a reboot but they did pretty good to hurt their brand :/

I thought the point of Nintendoland was to sell people on why the second screen mattered.  

I do see Game and Wario does try to use the second screen differently.

Game Pad is no good of use in a party game imo. It's nothing like a Wii mote. In any case Nintendo Land wasn't enough, they should've had a plan B/C and they didn't. Game and Wario released 8 months after release!! Ridiculous. 

If the Game Pad is not good for party games, then what good is it for?  People are saying party games are where the difference is made.  But if you say not that, then what?

Around the Network
orniletter said:
...maybe go in with an open mind and don´t try it with the the mindset: this sucks and here is why
...but going by the posting history, the op loves to complain
...so good for you, I guess, you are saving money and can spend it on another version of Pacman...

1. If my mind was closed, why would I of bothered to try the WiiU again at the event?  I tried it, hoping to see NintendoLand be something, because it had my interest.  I had a non-compelling experience with it, so I posted asking what I was missing.  I did NOT have this experience with the Wii remote.  And I have a 3DS and the 3D on it is not really relevant to me, but doesn't stop me from using it and playing, and the issue I had with cramping of hand someone did propose a solution which I implemented.

2. What kind of posts do you expect on forums?  Issues get discussed.  I discuss issues here as do other people. And I love to have things change and fit.  Maybe you don't, but I do.

3. Well, how about spending money on gas so I can then travel to social events in hopes of networking to find paid employment?  You know, stuff about having a life.

Sorry I struck a nerve with you. Sorry someone asking what they are missing about the WiiU offends you so much, and my thoughts and issues are hindering the WiiU from being a sales juggernaut that would cause everyone to like it feel secure in knowing it has sufficient support.  You seek to dismiss issues I have with the WiiU, for whatever reason you choose.  Rather then provide an alternative, you dismiss me and my posting by framing me as some sort of closed minded whiner, whi has nothing better to do but live in the past.  So, I get it.  The problem is me alone, and NOTHING is an issue with the Wii U.  I just hate Nintendo, and have an axe to grind.  I want them to fail or something.  I didn't hop on the 240 million lifetime sold for the Wii U bandwagon, and don't support this bit of partisanship in the console realm, so I OBVIOUSLY must be an enemy or something.  Feel free to keep thinking that.  When I have seen here, by you is a clear case of the use of textbook defense mechanisms.

Because the gamepad allows for more types of games to be made on consoles.

The device can be used to streamline video game interface too, the WiiMotion+ & GamePad combo works wonders for precision,

Infact its also perfect for multiplayer, anything that requires strategy and team management is made leauges better by the gamepad.

Its application in local co-op and online Vs can be very fun, its a tool that has a lot of utility, like all tools they only matter in the best hands and requires a steady hand to be used correctly. .

Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:

Because the gamepad allows for more types of games to be made on consoles.

The device can be used to streamline video game interface too, the WiiMotion+ & GamePad combo works wonders for precision,

Infact its also perfect for multiplayer, anything that requires strategy and team management is made leauges better by the gamepad.

Its application in local co-op and online Vs can be very fun, its a tool that has a lot of utility, like all tools they only matter in the best hands and requires a steady hand to be used correctly. .

I had thought two screens and each with teams would work well as a possibility.  Just not seeing it now.  I keep seeing theoretical uses for the U pad that could work.  But I just haven't tried anything yet.  It is like a disconnect between potential and reality for me.

The Wii U isn't resonating with the market at all. That is fact, sales numbers are as close to facts as we can get right now. The reasons are numerous, variables that are controllable and not, but the one thing that is funny to see is the consumers being blamed for not buying a 'luxury' product, or not seeing the value in it. I've found that hardcore Nintendo fans are no different than any other hardcore fan; If you don't like something a company does or how its operating, you are just a hater and not a true fan.

After nearly a year, the Gamepad is still being spoken of as if it is full of 'potential' but there is no concrete game that resonates with the market to illustrate this potential. All games upcoming play better with the Remote Nunchuck combo, or Pro Controller. WSC requires M+. The Gamepad is an albatross, the sooner this is seen, the better off Nintendo will be. This whole system has been a clusterfuck of bad decision making, at the worst possible time as the economy is really struggling.

Amazing how much praise Gamecube receives on forums, meanwhile it was a huge market failure. The problem here isn't gamers like Richard, the problem lies with Nintendo. They've managed to create a system that repulses the majority of gamers to appease a loud minority. So be it, they will enjoy lackluster sales, and become a joke in the market they saved..just like the Gamecube days.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Arius Dion said:
The Wii U isn't resonating with the market at all. That is fact, sales numbers are as close to facts as we can get right now. The reasons are numerous, variables that are controllable and not, but the one thing that is funny to see is the consumers being blamed for not buying a 'luxury' product, or not seeing the value in it. I've found that hardcore Nintendo fans are no different than any other hardcore fan; If you don't like something a company does or how its operating, you are just a hater and not a true fan.

After nearly a year, the Gamepad is still being spoken of as if it is full of 'potential' but there is no concrete game that resonates with the market to illustrate this potential. All games upcoming play better with the Remote Nunchuck combo, or Pro Controller. WSC requires M+. The Gamepad is an albatross, the sooner this is seen, the better off Nintendo will be. This whole system has been a clusterfuck of bad decision making, at the worst possible time as the economy is really struggling.

Amazing how much praise Gamecube receives on forums, meanwhile it was a huge market failure. The problem here isn't gamers like Richard, the problem lies with Nintendo. They've managed to create a system that repulses the majority of gamers to appease a loud minority. So be it, they will enjoy lackluster sales, and become a joke in the market they saved..just like the Gamecube days.

the only fact is that it wasn't selling because it didn't have the games.