By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The more I try the Wii U, the less appealing it becomes to me. What am I missing?

I think its safe to say that the Wii U is the worst console in the past 10 years.

OP no, you're not missing anything. The abysmal sales are indicative of this public opinion. Hell, the PS4 might sell more in its launch month than the Wii U has done all year.

Around the Network
Nintendo-Europe said:

"Wait, then why in the world waste dev resources, time, $ etc. on a game that will sell less than the Gamecube flop? If they don't think it will sell hardware?"

The Legend of Zelda : The Wind Waker HD has potential to sell some WII U at least as Pikmin 3 had. How many hardware F-Zero, Sin and Punishment, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem or Pilotwings games have moved ?

" GTA3 moved PS2's, Mk:DD didn't move Gamecubes. "

Mario Kart Double Dash moved less Nintendo Game Cube then Gran Theft Auto San Andreas moved Playstation 2, but it moved an important number.

Universally accessible games attracts generals public on a console, but in order to ensure long run interest games with a more confidential audience are needed, in particular with veteran gamers. In WII U case, the critical mass of game making it possible to sell correctly is not reached right now but will probably be by the end of this year. We should also be noted that people are watching more closely their expenses than they did six or seven years ago and that a beginner would prefer buy a Wii bundle for less than 150€/$.

And that's an acceptable amount of units moved..interesting.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

reggin_bolas said:
I think its safe to say that the Wii U is the worst console in the past 10 years.

OP no, you're not missing anything. The abysmal sales are indicative of this public opinion. Hell, the PS4 might sell more in its launch month than the Wii U has done all year.

Alright, so here's a protip.  If you want to be a productive member of this community, then you can express negative opinions on a console in a manner that produces constructive conversation.  If you want to be a troll, continue on as you're doing.

Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:

All it tells me is SS was overhyped and had the fact that it requires motion plus going against in 2012 of all years.

WSR required M+ That didn't flop. Overhyped? Sure, I agree there. But all that means is the game didn't deliver, and as such, took a hit in sales. The lowest selling console Zelda ever, on Nintendo's best selling home console says the series is has declined. And I doubt it has hardware selling power like the good old days.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

The problem is the games don't exist. The WiiU hardware is amazing and it has a ton of potential that even the PS4 lacks, the problem is the games. The WiiU second screen technology is amazing. Think about it calling in air strikes without pausing the gameplay on screen, flying a preditor drone, hacking a computer, solving a puzzel. The second screen offers a more realistic and better gameplay experience than any of the other consoles. Games that actually utilize the WiiU tab to its full capability? None!

The tab has NFC technology a forward facing camera,Microphone, gyroscope and nobody is using them! The second screen is extremely useful but only ZombiU utilizes it worth a dang. The worst part is Nintendo themselves aren't using the contoller the question is when will the games arrive?

The console can render games natively in 1080p (According to my uncle at IBM as well as a Nintendo Canada representative I just talked to during E3). It can play games at 1080p 60fps but developers even at Nintendo don't have the experience with HD or the GPGPU to push the console to its true potential. Fact is the WiiU is a next generation console.

I myself am more and more excited for WiiU with every release, but its going to be a very long time before a developer actually utilizes the hardware. Nintendo can't their studios have never made HD before and they are struggling to make content, the western studios with the expertise needed are cutting corners and aren't interested at the moment. But the hardware itself is amazing.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

The Legend of Zelda : Skyward Sword has sold more than The Legend of Zelda : Majora's Mask and The legend of Zelda : Spirit Tracks which is quite good for "the SECOND Zelda game on a platform".

The Legend of Zelda : The Wind Waker HD will probably move an acceptable amount of units for a remake of a ten years old game. It might move more hardware than God Of War Collection or Jak and Daxter Collection...

richardhutnik said:
Arius Dion said:
Nintendo-Europe said:

"Why the heck is Nintendo bundling Windwaker HD with the Wii U, if they don't believe it will generate sales like a new game?"

Nintendo do not think The Legend of Zelda : The Wind Waker HD will match the Nintendo Game Cube version sales, but probably think The Legend of Zelda : The Wind Waker HD bundle will have an impact on Wii U which is between the Pilotwings Ressort and The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of time 3D bundles on Nintendo 3DS.

Wait, then why in the world waste dev resources, time, $ etc. on a game that will sell less than the Gamecube flop? If they don't think it will sell hardware?

Secondly, using percentage rates and 'compared to userbase' argument doesn't hold water. The games didn't do their job of driving hardware sales. No one likes buying new hardware, they buy the hardware to get to the software, this is always how its worked. GTA3 moved PS2's, Mk:DD didn't move Gamecubes.

Also OoT remains the highest rated game ever as well as being the highest selling Zelda title ever. WW has the unfortunate reality of being the most polarizing Zelda and one of the least selling ones ever..ironically, Skyward Sword has sold even less. Which tells me the Zelda franchise doesn't have the pull it used to. Which means its doubtful it will remain a 'system seller' 

Salewise, and active playing fanbasewise that generates content, Elder Scrolls franchise is now more relevant in the mind of current gamers.  Zelda is still a key franchise, but for sales and buzz, it has been past.  These sales are pretty much across each platform Skyrim sold on.  It sold more on the platforms than Skyward Sword sold on the Wii.  And the Wii U is NOT getting Elder Scrolls at this point.

WindWaker was never made to be profitable. It was made because the Zelda team has no experience with HD, the Japanese studios are struggling with getting HD right. The WiiU can natively render 1080p but Nintendo's studios don't even have experience with 720p. So Nintendo's teams are going from developing for standard televisions to trying to make 1080p games. To put it bluntly Nintendo wants low risk projects that are viable and will give their teams a chance to experiment and get the experience necessary.

Pikmin3 was ported from Wii to give Miyamoto's team a chance to transition. Wind Waker was created to help transition the Zelda team. Nintendo's producers have openly said in interviews that they are struggling and that these games are serving as tools to adapt their teams. Nintendo is bundling the game because simply put they didn't develop it to make a fortune and it is a core property with selling power. So Nintendo is doing the smart thing and bundling it, it will sell a couple million copies 2-3 LT and if 500k-1m of those are WiiU hardware bundles then the game has been more than successful.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

richardhutnik said:
Arius Dion said:
Nintendo-Europe said:

"Why the heck is Nintendo bundling Windwaker HD with the Wii U, if they don't believe it will generate sales like a new game?"

Nintendo do not think The Legend of Zelda : The Wind Waker HD will match the Nintendo Game Cube version sales, but probably think The Legend of Zelda : The Wind Waker HD bundle will have an impact on Wii U which is between the Pilotwings Ressort and The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of time 3D bundles on Nintendo 3DS.

Wait, then why in the world waste dev resources, time, $ etc. on a game that will sell less than the Gamecube flop? If they don't think it will sell hardware?

Secondly, using percentage rates and 'compared to userbase' argument doesn't hold water. The games didn't do their job of driving hardware sales. No one likes buying new hardware, they buy the hardware to get to the software, this is always how its worked. GTA3 moved PS2's, Mk:DD didn't move Gamecubes.

Also OoT remains the highest rated game ever as well as being the highest selling Zelda title ever. WW has the unfortunate reality of being the most polarizing Zelda and one of the least selling ones ever..ironically, Skyward Sword has sold even less. Which tells me the Zelda franchise doesn't have the pull it used to. Which means its doubtful it will remain a 'system seller' 

Salewise, and active playing fanbasewise that generates content, Elder Scrolls franchise is now more relevant in the mind of current gamers.  Zelda is still a key franchise, but for sales and buzz, it has been past.  These sales are pretty much across each platform Skyrim sold on.  It sold more on the platforms than Skyward Sword sold on the Wii.  And the Wii U is NOT getting Elder Scrolls at this point.

OK, i'm starting ot get sick and tired of all your "Elder Scrolls is now a bigger franchise than Zelda" crap. If Nintendo give people the Zelda they want, peoples mind will explode again. Just like it allways did. Zelda is still king - the right kind of Zelda is still king. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXrsK8ICp8E

A new Elder Scrolls game will NEVER get a reaction like that. Not Ever. 

Arius Dion said:
Dr.EisDrachenJaeger said:

All it tells me is SS was overhyped and had the fact that it requires motion plus going against in 2012 of all years.

WSR required M+ That didn't flop. Overhyped? Sure, I agree there. But all that means is the game didn't deliver, and as such, took a hit in sales. The lowest selling console Zelda ever, on Nintendo's best selling home console says the series is has declined. And I doubt it has hardware selling power like the good old days.

Maybe, maybe not. I do think part of the loss of appeal is because it was no longer "cutting edge technology" powering the games due to Nintendo not carrying on with the technical hardware race.

I think a Zelda game utilising the power of a console of equivalent power of the XONE/PS4 would generate far more interest and have a lot more sales power than a 360/PS3 powered Zelda will do (which is what we're going to get).

That said, personally I can't wait to try Wind Waker again, one of the most amazing looking games of all time, redone in HD, with all the bad parts taken out? Sign me up! Maybe I'll learn to love the game far more :D

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Incubi said:
richardhutnik said:

OK, i'm starting ot get sick and tired of all your "Elder Scrolls is now a bigger franchise than Zelda" crap. If Nintendo give people the Zelda they want, peoples mind will explode again. Just like it allways did. Zelda is still king - the right kind of Zelda is still king. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXrsK8ICp8E

A new Elder Scrolls game will NEVER get a reaction like that. Not Ever. 

That just gave me goosebumps over my whole body! Again.