By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The more I try the Wii U, the less appealing it becomes to me. What am I missing?

From what I've seen, the best uses for the control pad thing aren't as a second screen for gaming.

Honestly, most of its functions during television gaming are pretty gimmicky. Almost everything can be performed just as well by toggling another menu on the main screen, like the silly scope thing or with maps. Inventory seems pretty cool, and I've read about a few others, but none seem necessary. Most of the time, I really don't want to focus my eyes back and forth between a close screen and a distant screen, so it has that against it.

On the other hand, as a television/media controller, it seems pretty nifty, and the remote play thing is nice. I get the impression those are its best features.

I know Nintendo tried to put the hardware before the horse, which was a mistake, but the proof of a system will always be the games. If someone bought a Wii U, it should have been because they're a fan of Nintendo as a developer of games; if they bought it because of the controller, I have no sympathy.

Around the Network

Because its attached to a machine inside a store.

Messes up the weight of the gamepad and your focus, that isnt how you usually play games is it?

No? Thought not.

Also Rayman is a slow slow game, not the best way to sell you on it in a booth.

Try using one in a friends home

You are missing more Nintendo games, I mean, were you expecting it to be anything but a machine to play awesome Nintendo games?

TheShape31 said:
Same here. I tried all the "best" games (NSMB, NintyLand, etc.), but the controller made the experience worse for me. I also found the controller very uncomfortable to hold. There's nothing there for me.

Mario U and NintendoLand aren't the best games on Wii U.

Click HERE and be happy 

The Wii Mote is superior to the GamePad. That's the problem

The GamePad SHOULD have been a secondary alternate controller that you buy separately like the way Wii Fit was

Around the Network
enditall727 said:
The Wii Mote is superior to the GamePad. That's the problem

The GamePad SHOULD have been a secondary alternate controller that you buy separately like the way Wii Fit was

like Classic Pro or even Wii Mote?

Click HERE and be happy 

It's totally useful for off tv, navigating, writing, aiming, how it cleans up the hud on the tv. It is all seamless now. I don't have to go to the menu if I want to look at the map. I just realised how convenient the gamepad really is after playing GTA 5. Having to pause the game to look on the map is so tedious now. Can't stand it. Wii U spoiled me.

EDIT: The gamepad has potential, Nintendo has to use it.

EDIT2: Also, when a great game designer like Ancel says that the gamepad has potential it is probably the truth.

The same thing happens to me with the PS4 and the XBone (especially with the PS4).

You're missing someone else to play with.
3 player Rayman Legends is a lot of fun. In single player it's not.

With kids you'll also appreciate off-tv a lot more.

I liked the Wii U, though I don't really have the money to buy it right now.