By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - is Wii U looking to disappoint in Japan and Europe this Holiday?

How will the Wii U fair In EU and Japan?

The sales will be great 95 31.35%

The sales will decent 124 40.92%

The sales will be poor 83 27.39%

Total:302

Actually thought we were only talking about Japan, but Europe - Nintendo are likely to get crushed. Even though PS4/Xbox are poaching the same customers, I do believe that most users will be flocking to these platforms.

The PR/advertising has all been about next gen this year, it's gone exactly how i predicted it would be in terms of news stories (though Nintendo have made this far worse by not really promoting their own platform for some reason).

I expect less sales of the Wii-u than last years in the same weeks (is that crazy?).

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
milkyjoe said:
Mario 3D World not coming until December is a far bigger problem in America (missing Black Friday) than it is in Europe, where the biggest sales weeks are in December.

Ya I was surprised about that too. I figured 3D World and Wii Fit U would each get a holiday bundle in time for black friday. Its not so bad tho DKC, Party U and Wind Waker HD will be out for black friday and back in 2011 Mario Kart missed black friday and we all know how 3DS sold that year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

They need to bring out Bayonetta 2 and Project X out asap!

RolStoppable said:
Madword said:

I expect less sales of the Wii-u than last years in the same weeks (is that crazy?).

Not nearly as crazy as your expectation that the DS will sell more than the Wii U.

Ah perhaps i meant the 3DS ;) - hehe.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

eFKac said:
Games line up looks good at first sight, but I think games are to close to each other in genres, many platformers, sure people who like platformers have no other choice but to get Wii U at some point but how many are there? W101 is totally niche, Wind Waker HD I don't know, I wouldn't buy a console for a HD reedition, but Nintendo fans seem to like playing the same games again. And I can't see Wii Fit U doing much just like you.

Oh yea man. Totally agree. I mean the top selling games on Playstation and XBOX are so diverse. Excellent observation! *bro-fist*

OT: People don't buy a system just for one game. I mean i hope not. So a steady stream of releases should help. Best next gen game line up is on the Wii U this year. Ports of the current gen games ported to ps4bone surely help ease the pain of spending half a grand. 

Around the Network
Madword said:
Actually thought we were only talking about Japan, but Europe - Nintendo are likely to get crushed. Even though PS4/Xbox are poaching the same customers, I do believe that most users will be flocking to these platforms.

The PR/advertising has all been about next gen this year, it's gone exactly how i predicted it would be in terms of news stories (though Nintendo have made this far worse by not really promoting their own platform for some reason).

It did 2.2 million last year, I think it can do about 3 million in Nov+Dec this year. None of the titles this holiday will be huge by themselves but when u combine them all in a 2 month stretch then I think they will have a strong affect.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

V-r0cK said:

Those games look great and will be nice additions to Wii U lineup but they probably wont do a whole lot for console sales. The games they have slated for this holiday and Mario Kart/Smash Bros next year will be much stronger hardware boosters.

milkyjoe said:
Mario 3D World not coming until December is a far bigger problem in America (missing Black Friday) than it is in Europe, where the biggest sales weeks are in December.

The problem with Mario not coming until December is that retailers will need to order their Wii U's on faith that Mario can create a substantial boost.  With the way the Wii U has been selling in Europe, and the clearance sales that have happened, It seems unlikely that retailers will order a ton on the hope they can sell them in December.  Even with the OP's fairly modest predictions, he has the Wii U nearly doubling its lifetime sales in Europe in November and December.

zorg1000 said:
V-r0cK said:

Those games look great and will be nice additions to Wii U lineup but they probably wont do a whole lot for console sales. The games they have slated for this holiday and Mario Kart/Smash Bros next year will be much stronger hardware boosters.

Beyonetta won't but I think X will push hardware, its the best looking JRPG next to FFXV. Nintendo have never had the honour of having such a title exclusive to their line up.

I just can't believe Nintendo are letting a second Christmas pass-by without Smash, Kart, WiiUfit or (non-remake) Zelda. I thought Sony was mad when they did it with Gran Turismo, but Nintendo are doing it with nearly every system-selling franchise they have.

So to answer the question I think sales will be poor this holiday, but closer to fair or perhaps even good next holiday when nintendo has finally released it's big hitters.