By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - is Wii U looking to disappoint in Japan and Europe this Holiday?

How will the Wii U fair In EU and Japan?

The sales will be great 95 31.35%

The sales will decent 124 40.92%

The sales will be poor 83 27.39%

Total:302
TruckOSaurus said:
eFKac said:
Games line up looks good at first sight, but I think games are to close to each other in genres, many platformers, sure people who like platformers have no other choice but to get Wii U at some point but how many are there? W101 is totally niche, Wind Waker HD I don't know, I wouldn't buy a console for a HD reedition, but Nintendo fans seem to like playing the same games again. And I can't see Wii Fit U doing much just like you.

Not sure where you're heading with this? HD remakes are far more frequent on PS360 than on Nintendo systems so I wouldn't say Nintendo fans are more inclined to replay the same games again.

Never said there are more remakes on Nintendo consoles, cause I have no idea what are the numbers, but Nintendo introduced rehashes some time ago, I remember having Zelda Links Awakening Deluxe and Super Mario Bros Deluxe on my Game Boy Color, so they certainly had their fair share of reeditions. Nevertheless that wasn't the point. Both Ocarina of Time 3D and now Wind Waker HD are big selling points for Nintendo and Nintendo fans alike.The remakes sell more than HD versions on PS360 usually. Nintendo  has bundles, people expect systems flying of the shelfs, hence the sentence, maybe I should add on new platforms at the end. I have never seen an HD remake bundle for the PS360, don't know for sure, maybe there were, but they weren't very frequent if at all. I also never seen people claiming HD editions being big system sellers in case of PS3/360/PSV, and imo that's totally normal cause I can't many people buying a console for a remake, especially when there is little to no new content added, except for Nintendo fans as I see from sales numbers and predictions.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Around the Network
VGhippy said:
I just can't believe Nintendo are letting a second Christmas pass-by without Smash, Kart, WiiUfit or (non-remake) Zelda. I thought Sony was mad when they did it with Gran Turismo, but Nintendo are doing it with nearly every system-selling franchise they have.

So to answer the question I think sales will be poor this holiday, but closer to fair or perhaps even good next holiday when nintendo has finally released it's big hitters.

Wii Fit U is coming in Dec., along with Mario, the highest selling game franchise of all time. DKC, Wii Party U, and Zelda, all also strong candidates. Lest we forget Mario & Sonic Olympics, which for whatever reasons always sells well, and Sonic: Lost World, a strong looking exclusive. I'd call those pretty big hitters.

A slow start doesn't prevent a decent successive performance. Great sales require more efforts, but I can vote quite confidently for "decent".

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

teigaga said:
Incubi said:

"Playstation 3 has had japan to itself for a long time and they've shown they don't really care about home consoles. Its sales have rarely been above 20k for the past year or 2"

Playstation 3 never had japan all to itself.

So which consoles have the PS3 been competing with the last 2 years?

Wii released at the same time as PS3 in Japan. Why in the flying F are you bringing up the last 2 years? 

Incubi said:
teigaga said:
Incubi said:

"Playstation 3 has had japan to itself for a long time and they've shown they don't really care about home consoles. Its sales have rarely been above 20k for the past year or 2"

Wii released at the same time as PS3 in Japan. Why in the flying F are you bringing up the last 2 years? 

Because we're are talking about Japans apetite for consoles in the last few years, we're in 2013 now, not in 2006. The PS3 has had great games and has been available at a great price, yet sales have been stale, so the Wii U not having competition from the PS4/X1 isn't significant because the japanese may just place more interest in the 3DS and PSvita as always. Not to mention that the ps3 has a strong fall line up GT6 (mega seller like mario), Lightning Returns, FFXHD, J star versus and plenty more japanese centric titles.

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Incubi said:
teigaga said:
Incubi said:

Because we're are talking about Japans apetite for consoles in the last few years, we're in 2013 now, not in 2006. The PS3 has had great games and has been available at a great price, yet sales have been stale, so the Wii U not having competition from the PS4/X1 isn't significant because the japanese may just place more interest in the 3DS and PSvita as always. Not to mention that the ps3 has a strong fall line up GT6 (mega seller like mario), Lightning Returns, FFXHD, J star versus and plenty more japanese centric titles.

We're talking holiday momentum here. PS3 is old news. We're talking WiiU vs PS4 vs XBone in 2013. Noone is talking about handhelds. It is completely irrelevant to this discussion.
In the context of home consoles. Is the WiiU going to dissapoint in Japan this holiday? 

Your EU figures seem optimistic. None of those games are system sellers. Mario 3D World will move few systems since there's already a mario game on it that sold it to mario fans. The only system seller they have is called price cut. You can't expect people throwing 349€ in a WiiU when PS4 is 399€ and PS3 199€.

teigaga said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
While I think the intention was the opposite, this thread convinced me that Wii U will do very well in Japan this year. Europe is more of a challenge, but not because the games aren't excellent, but because the system isn't finding an audience there yet in general.

What games do you think will provide large hardware boots in Japan?

All of them, to some extent. Wii U just needs games. Pikmin 3 doubled Japan Wii U sales month on month. With a series of other monthly releases, no PS4, and existing titles like NSMBU, Wii U could be a fairly hot item.

Incubi said:
teigaga said:
Incubi said:

i released at the same time as PS3 in Japan. Why in the flying F are you bringing up the last 2 years? 

We're talking holiday momentum here. PS3 is old news. We're talking WiiU vs PS4 vs XBone in 2013. Noone is talking about handhelds. It is completely irrelevant to this discussion.
In the context of home consoles. Is the WiiU going to dissapoint in Japan this holiday? 

Holidays included, recent years have seen very weak console sales. And of course handhelds are relevent if they're stealing market from the Wii  U. Whether expectation for home consoles should be adjusted, is all part of the discussion. I personally think the Wii U will perform  decent... I'll elaborate on my predictions.

September:
Japan: 50k- Weak  
October:
Japan: 100k- Decent
November:
Japan: 180k- Decent
December:
Japan: 430k- strong

Soundwave said:

Well lets just wait and see I guess. Some people on these boards have been talking a big game about how 3D World and DKC and Pikmin 3 and Zelda: WWHD would solve all the Wii U's problems.

Lets see what the cold, hard results are.

My guess is if the system underperforms this holiday there's going to be a lot of "obviously it needs a price cut! Everyone knows that! And Mario Kart and Smash will save it, no one was going to buy a Wii U for Zelda: WWHD and Mario 3D World anyone who thought that was stupid".

The cycle will start again in January.

I've felt for a while now that Mario Kart will prove definitively which way things are going to go. Holiday sales are holiday sales, but Mario Kart is going to release in the Spring and will need to boost things all on its own without the added help of general holiday increases.

VGChartz