By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - is Wii U looking to disappoint in Japan and Europe this Holiday?

How will the Wii U fair In EU and Japan?

The sales will be great 95 31.35%

The sales will decent 124 40.92%

The sales will be poor 83 27.39%

Total:302

Looks better than the ps4 and xbox exclusives if you ask me.

The new Sonic has me in the fence, ill admit.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

Well lets just wait and see I guess. Some people on these boards have been talking a big game about how 3D World and DKC and Pikmin 3 and Zelda: WWHD would solve all the Wii U's problems.

Lets see what the cold, hard results are.

My guess is if the system underperforms this holiday there's going to be a lot of "obviously it needs a price cut! Everyone knows that! And Mario Kart and Smash will save it, no one was going to buy a Wii U for Zelda: WWHD and Mario 3D World anyone who thought that was stupid".

The cycle will start again in January.

Im one of the more optimistic people on here when it comes to Wii U but if it has a horrible holiday then I will admit that Wii U is destined to Gamecube like success. A price cut, Mario Kart and Smash Bros in 2014 will surely help but if Mario/Sonic/DK/Wind Waker/FitU/PartyU plus holiday deals/bundles dont get the job done then nothing will.

I don't think it'll do horribly, but perhaps more lukewarm than some people on this board would want to admit.

Just out of curiosity, what do u think Wii U lifetime sales will be by the end of the year? 

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

My prediction:

September:
EU: 30k
Japan: 50k
October:
EU: 80k
Japan: 100k
November:
EU: 260k
Japan: 180k
December:
EU: 500k
Japan: 430k

What are u expecting it to do in America

September:
NA: 55k
October:
NA: 110k
November:
NA: 680K 
December:
NA: 440K

So I guess 1.3m

Mnementh said:
teigaga said:
Mnementh said:
If I see it right, neither PS4 or XBOX will be available this holiday in Japan. So I think WiiU will do decent in Japan. Europe is another matter. Always the hardest region for Nintendo, they will continue to struggle here.

But the Vita might pose some competition. Also The PS3 is still recieving big games this fall with GT6, Project J versus,  Lightning Returns and Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy X HD. 

Yes, handhelds are obviously stronger in Japan. But WiiU already showed potential in this direction with the people playing on train on the gamepad. Some japanese developers (namely Capcom) noticed that. So I don't think the WiiU can really beat handhelds, but with the other home-consoles launch later, the current line-up and the option for half-handheld it might do good on Japan. Although Japan also is not the big market anymore for home-consoles.

You cannot play in the train with the Gamepad!

In Gods we trust. Dattebayo...

WiiU ID:         Aias23

Xbox360/XboxOne ID:  Aias23

3DS FC:         3737 9509 2938

Incubi said:
WiiU will have Japan all to itself this holiday and Europe always had a thing for Sonic for some reason, plus i'm sure families will prioritize Nintendo consoles this holiday.

Knowing that, I expect Nintendo to ship 7mill worldwide by december, and it will completely sell out.

Prediction January 1 2014:

WiiU: 7 mill (I dont think its smart to underestimate Nintendo during fall holiday season)
PS4: 2,5 mill (I doubt they'll be able to ship more than that)
Xbone: 1 mill (I feel MS have had huge production issues with XBone)

Playstation 3 has had japan to itself for a long time and they've shown they don't really care about home consoles. Its sales have rarely been above 20k for the past year or 2

Around the Network

Europe: yes

Japan: no

It seems like the Wii U's biggest competition in Japan this year will be... the 3DS. Somehow, I don't think Nintendo is complaining about that.

In Europe, Wii U is probably screwed. It'll have to compete with PS4, Xbone, PS3, and 360 -- all of which are getting FIFA, while Wii U is not -- plus the 3DS. Mario and Donkey Kong will help, but not enough.

"Playstation 3 has had japan to itself for a long time and they've shown they don't really care about home consoles. Its sales have rarely been above 20k for the past year or 2"

Playstation 3 never had japan all to itself.

It will be ok in Japan cause the PS4 isnt coming this year there. In EU who knows.

TheLastStarFighter said:
While I think the intention was the opposite, this thread convinced me that Wii U will do very well in Japan this year. Europe is more of a challenge, but not because the games aren't excellent, but because the system isn't finding an audience there yet in general.

What games do you think will provide large hardware boots in Japan?

Incubi said:

"Playstation 3 has had japan to itself for a long time and they've shown they don't really care about home consoles. Its sales have rarely been above 20k for the past year or 2"

Playstation 3 never had japan all to itself.

So which consoles have the PS3 been competing with the last 2 years?