By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So I just finished Skyward Sword...let's discuss. SPOILER ALERT! Stay away if you haven't beaten the game

Tagged games:

Happy you enjoyed the experience. Was a big fan myself.

dislikes:
-If i hadn't seen egoraptor's mega man episode of sequelitis i would've broken the game trying to get fi out of it. Luckily everytime she said something useless i heard "mega man mega man" in my head which was hilarious.
- I like the motion control, but i could've been better. I was able to get better swordplay out of Red Steel 2 and better archery out of wii-sports resort.
-biggest complaint- You should have been able to travel to different ground areas by foot. You uncovered it all, why not go on a huge adventure?
-much like twilight with it's damn bug hunts, i hated searching for stuff in the creepy zones with statues. the activity was boring and annoying, but the setting was sweet.
-favorite, most epic ending battle of any zelda ever. The scenerey, the dialogue, the setting, the music. Sweet jesus i had shivers the first time i tried to destroy demise.
-storytelling- this was the most in depth we've ever seen zelda and link. I also got a feeling that zelda and link have some sort of romantic relationship in this one. Something that was always just out of reach in past entries. This was the second best use of secondary characters in the series thus far.
- controls- bowling bombs were sweet.
- you were one form of one person the whole game.
-loved ghirahim's character. wish his costume design was a little more menacing.

Around the Network
g911turbo said:
Pavolink said:
Skyward Sword is the game that I'll pull on the same level as Ocarina of Time, not for the gameplay, highs or lows, but because for the first time Nintendo intended to do something fresh and focusing on some of its roots.

Higher difficulty (6 heart run - hero mode must be a delicious), a lot of puzzles in the overwolrd (surface), Zelda playing an important role, a good villian that actually you encounters more than 2 times in the whole game, you finally care for Zelda's sake, less items but all are required during the entery game (whip is the unfortunate excepcion), upgradeable items, equipment and potions, usage of ruppees.

Now on the lows I agree that music was dissapointing, the sky was uninteresting, swithching between the main three areas was a pain, no freedom, and again, a game breaker bug.

I have to say that I liked the story. Very good but it has the potential to have better cinematics. The harp was a wasted potential.

Ah, I forgot about that boss run... did you have to beat that?  For some reason I remember trying, failing, and then not coming back to it.

What is the game breaker bug???

There was a game breaking bug in the part of the game where you have to collect the three songs from the three dragons, I don't quite remember exactly how it was, but I believe if you went to the desert dragon first, then the bug would occur. Nintendo released a patch for this, and I think in the later copies of the game the bugs was removed.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Soma said:
This reminds me I still have to finish the game. I started it long ago and lost interest in it, some months ago I continued where I left with the purpose of finishing it but then I lost interest again. I think the game should be shorter, there is a lot of time wasters that make it boring imo.

The music is nothing special with one or two exceptions and the story is pretty average to me. Loved the graphics and motion controls though. Probably in the end it will get better, just like Twilight Princess which was boring for long parts of the game but ended great.

I don't know how much is left to finish it, if I remember correctly the last thing I did was to recover all my items in Death Mountain. Overall I'm liking this more than Twilight Princess but I enjoyed Wind Waker and obviously Ocarina of Time more than this one.

You are near the end of the game.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
g911turbo said:
Pavolink said:
Skyward Sword is the game that I'll pull on the same level as Ocarina of Time, not for the gameplay, highs or lows, but because for the first time Nintendo intended to do something fresh and focusing on some of its roots.

Higher difficulty (6 heart run - hero mode must be a delicious), a lot of puzzles in the overwolrd (surface), Zelda playing an important role, a good villian that actually you encounters more than 2 times in the whole game, you finally care for Zelda's sake, less items but all are required during the entery game (whip is the unfortunate excepcion), upgradeable items, equipment and potions, usage of ruppees.

Now on the lows I agree that music was dissapointing, the sky was uninteresting, swithching between the main three areas was a pain, no freedom, and again, a game breaker bug.

I have to say that I liked the story. Very good but it has the potential to have better cinematics. The harp was a wasted potential.

Ah, I forgot about that boss run... did you have to beat that?  For some reason I remember trying, failing, and then not coming back to it.

What is the game breaker bug???

There was a game breaking bug in the part of the game where you have to collect the three songs from the three dragons, I don't quite remember exactly how it was, but I believe if you went to the desert dragon first, then the bug would occur. Nintendo released a patch for this, and I think in the later copies of the game the bugs was removed.

It was if you went to the Thunder Dragon first, and then talked to the Goron that was standing just outside of that room.  Then the special events would not happen when you travelled to the other locations.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

osed125 said:

First I'm going to say the things I really liked about the game. 

• I really really liked the motion control plus, it was by far one of the most interesting aspects about the game and the way enemies behave made a lot better.
  • I also really liked the story, it's not my favorite in the series but it's still great nonetheless, having to know the story of the first Zelda and the first Link (and the "first" Ganon I guess) was truly amazing, plus the characters were very good (aside of Fi which I'll go into detail later). 
  • The ground areas were really good, a lot of people like to bitch about them but I have no complaints. The desert is really great and I love the present-past mechanic with the time stones or whatever they are called.
  • The last dungeon (where you find the Triforce pieces) is by far my favorite Zelda dungeon ever, simple love the mechanic of being able to move the rooms and I hope they revisit the concept in another Zelda game. Also the pirate ship is amazing.

Those are the things I really liked, now the things I didn't:

• The freaking Master Sword Fi, my god, if people thought Navi was annoying they haven't even touch SS, seriously Fi is by far the worst thing that has ever happened to Zelda. Always interrupting my gameplay to say some stupid things like "there's a 5% chance this is Zelda" and I'm like "Shut up!". Nothing she says is funny, it's only annoying, and don't get me started when my Wii mote battery was low... /rant over
  • While I liked the ground areas, the sky itself is bland and boring, there's nothing to do in it unless you gather the Goddess cubes, there's no point in exploring the sky. 
  • The night: when you think about it, there's only 3 areas where you can go at night (Skyloft, the pumpkin place and Bettle's house), and there's really nothing to do at night aside of collecting some gratitude crystals and some side quest. Maybe this is nitpicking, but I just didn't liked the way the night was handled is SS.
  • The third time you go to the forest when everything is flooded and you have to collect some musical notes or something like that, very tedious and unnecessary.

Overall I liked the game a lot. I put this as my 4th favorite Zelda game (top 3 are: OoT, WW, TP). 

Edit: I forgot about that when you restart the game you have to listen the explanation of collectibles. It's not as bad as TP when that happens with rupees but it's still very annoying.

I forgot that you don't start a thread about Zelda and then get too busy to check it within the next 24 hours because the responses would have piled up. Your post seems to reflect the general responses in this thread. As for the things you don't like, as the OP, lemme give my OPinions

• I guess I've learned to ignore slight annoyances in games I like. Fi is more annoying than Navi, has a robotic personality but she can also be more useful than Midna occasionally. She states the obvious too many times, but she makes up for it when I want to know my game time, how many times I've slaughtered a particular enemy or some other useful info, since you actually have multiple options on what to ask her. Also, I did find her obsession with Bokoblin underpant funny. No matter which kind of Bokoblin you scanned, she'd chip in something about its undergarments.
  • Yeah, the sky wasn't packed with activity, but it did a decent job as a hub world. Could have been better, but it wasn't terrible.
  • Seeing as you're limited to the sky at night time, it has the same problems as the rest of the sky sections. Could be better, but it wasn't terrible. You could easilly ignore it.
  • The flooded forest! Many of you didn't like it but I loved it! I'm an artist and seeing such a beautiful forest under water (clean, clear water) just tripped me. Maybe I would have been bored collecting tadtones if I didn't think the place looked so gorgeous. I knew it would revert to normal after I caught them all and I was wishing there was a way to replay that challenge just like you can the boss battles and silent realms, just so I could admire the artistic beauty of that segment again.
  • Re-reading the description of collectibles all the time. Probably the most annoying aspect of the game to me. We should at least have had the option to speed up the text.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

Around the Network
tolu619 said:

• The flooded forest! Many of you didn't like it but I loved it! I'm an artist and seeing such a beautiful forest under water (clean, clear water) just tripped me. Maybe I would have been bored collecting tadtones if I didn't think the place looked so gorgeous. I knew it would revert to normal after I caught them all and I was wishing there was a way to replay that challenge just like you can the boss battles and silent realms, just so I could admire the artistic beauty of that segment again.

Yeah, as much as people complain about it, I liked the tadtones part. Was a cool way  to put a twist on a familiar area.

@MythMaker, you CAN skip any cutscenes you've seen before. And I don't get what you mean by motion controls aren't needed outside the boss fights. Unless you want to stick to bombs and arrows only, you can't kill almost half of the enemies in the game without swinging in the right direction. Just a few days ago, I laughed my ass off watching a Bokoblin block all of my brother's attacks for about 20 seconds straight!
You know what surprises me about people complaining about "forced motion controls" in some areas? I realize that these people over the years must have so perfected the use of the analog stick that the easier motion controls are actually harder for them. During the time it took me to beat Skyward Sword, I've beaten like 4 games on my PS3 (If I know I'm only home from school for a week for example, I'll play PS3 games because they're shorter). Many times I wished I could use SS controls on those PS3 games. Prototype 2 didn't make me want motion controls but controlling the remote controlled Batarang in Arkham City was painfully difficult. Just a few days ago, my brother who is on a God of War marathon (he just beat 1 and 2 and now is almost done with 3) was swimming and since he had played SS just the previous day, he was wishing for the motion controls while swimming in GoW.
You know what I've learned from all this? As an aspiring game developer, I'll make my control options as flexible as possible just in case. Like if I made SS, motion would be required for lots of things, but then for everything besides the sword, you would have the option of switching to classic controls. Even for aiming (who knows, someone out there might prefer classic aiming to pointer aiming). At least they did that to some extent in the game. You could select menu options through both control methods.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

tolu619 said:
  • I guess I've learned to ignore slight annoyances in games I like. Fi is more annoying than Navi, has a robotic personality but she can also be more useful than Midna occasionally. She states the obvious too many times, but she makes up for it when I want to know my game time, how many times I've slaughtered a particular enemy or some other useful info, since you actually have multiple options on what to ask her. Also, I did find her obsession with Bokoblin underpant funny. No matter which kind of Bokoblin you scanned, she'd chip in something about its undergarments.

I've never had a problem with any of Zelda's helper characters, and I don't really understand it.  I didn't even know Navi was considered annoying until hearing complaints on an internet forum years later.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
tolu619 said:

I've never had a problem with any of Zelda's helper characters, and I don't really understand it.  I didn't even know Navi was considered annoying until hearing complaints on an internet forum years later.

Yeah, though the problem with Fi isn't necessarily Fi; it's lazy programming.  I caught a bug before, you don't have to tell me every single time I catch one (Or restart the game, I can't recall it was almost two years ago).

darkknightkryta said:
theRepublic said:
tolu619 said:

Yeah, though the problem with Fi isn't necessarily Fi; it's lazy programming.  I caught a bug before, you don't have to tell me every single time I catch one (Or restart the game, I can't recall it was almost two years ago).

I also didn't find Navi annoying at all on my first 2 play throughs of OoT. She's only a bit annoying on 3DS when she suggests that I take a break from playing. And yeah, I really don't understand how a problem like telling us what each bug or collectible is, each time we restart the game, WITH SLOW, UNSKIPPABLE text and animations managed to get past all the play testing they would have done before the game was released. But I have to admit. Fi does state the obvious far much more times than any previous helper character in the series. The worst part is when she/or someone else just told you something in a cutscene, only for her to come out and repeat that same piece of information immediately after the cut scene!