By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New Knack Gameplay from Gamescom - Looking promising, reminds me of GoW

Tagged games:

tolu619 said:
This is off topic but I don't want to create an entire thread just to ask this question. If the price of the Vita drops to $199, what would the price of the 3G model be?

The same. Both models are 199. But what do you think about Knack?

Around the Network

It's coming along well. I will probably pick this one up as soon as i buy a PS4.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

What I despise most among gamers is the ideologies of "Anything thats cartoony or isnt realistic is kiddy and irrelevant" also "Anything realistic is generic and bland" I just play whatever is quality and fun.

enditall727 said:
I was waiting for an upload of the Knack demo at Gamescom

This game seems to be coming along nicely

I think the combat looks good. What else could you want from the combat? Mario, Crash Bandicoot and Ratchet & Clanks combat is very simple and straight forward like this.

But Mario and Crash are platformers.  Combat is a small part of the gameplay.  The main draw is traversing interesting levels.  If Mario Galaxy focused solely on fighting Goombas, it would suck.  However, it seems like fighting is pretty much the entire focus of the gameplay here, so lackluster combat is a problem.

enditall727 said:
JWeinCom said:
The art style looks a lot better now that they've moved away from the typical city/lab settings. The transformation element seems to have some potential... Unfortunately, this looks like.... well, a launch game. A good idea that isn't as fleshed out as it needs to be. There just isn't anything very interesting going on in that video. I only watched about 5 minutes, but it seemed to be "walk five feet, take out three bad guys, walk five feet." Maybe a sequel with more time will be better.

Box's

No idea what that means.

pokoko said:
I think it's kind of odd how much hate this game gets, considering that it was developed to be very kid friendly. They even built the co-op around that idea.

"Knack includes a local co-op mode that should, according to game creator and system architect Mark Cerny, help kids around 5 to 7 years old play the PS4 launch game. At Gamescom, Cerny showed us a brief demonstration of the same-screen mode, in which a second player controls a robot version of Knack who provides support for the first player.

Like Knack himself, the silver robo-Knack can combat and defeat enemies to grab their parts and grow bigger. The difference is that when Knack gets hurt and becomes smaller and weaker, robot Knack can donate his parts to the damaged Knack. Cerny noted that the two-player mode allows a parent to jump in and help his seven-year old child playing as the main Knack, and for a younger player like a five-year old to play as robot Knack without harming the overall experience." -- http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/21/knack-features-local-co-op-built-with-younger-players-in-mind/

The quote shows that accomodations were made for younger players, not necessarily that the game was made for young kids.  Besides, you can make a game that's appealing to kids and still make it interesting.  In fact, the very developer of this game has made titles like that in the past.

DarthFrinker said:
What I despise most among gamers is the ideologies of "Anything thats cartoony or isnt realistic is kiddy and irrelevant" also "Anything realistic is generic and bland" I just play whatever is quality and fun.

I agree with you sir.  I actually like the look of this game because it reminds me of the old PSX/N64 adventure titles.  Those games didn't have more than a 3 hit combo, but boy did they keep you entertained for hours.  I'm looking forward to this title almost as much as Infamous.

Around the Network

this looks too geniric.

Far, far better demo than the E3 demo.

If they market it right, as a Pixar-esque mascot platformer, then mums and dads will look straight to it for the kids in the house.

For me though, there simply needs to be more to do in the levels. Too many times that youre just walking around with no enemies or things to smash. Sure, the game looks pretty. Damn pretty. But at the same time, it looks empty. It still reminds me of PS1 Crash, just not as goofy. The game would simply be a lot better with more things to smash.

LET ME SMASH MORE THINGS

pokoko said:
I think it's kind of odd how much hate this game gets, considering that it was developed to be very kid friendly. They even built the co-op around that idea.

"Knack includes a local co-op mode that should, according to game creator and system architect Mark Cerny, help kids around 5 to 7 years old play the PS4 launch game. At Gamescom, Cerny showed us a brief demonstration of the same-screen mode, in which a second player controls a robot version of Knack who provides support for the first player.

Like Knack himself, the silver robo-Knack can combat and defeat enemies to grab their parts and grow bigger. The difference is that when Knack gets hurt and becomes smaller and weaker, robot Knack can donate his parts to the damaged Knack. Cerny noted that the two-player mode allows a parent to jump in and help his seven-year old child playing as the main Knack, and for a younger player like a five-year old to play as robot Knack without harming the overall experience." -- http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/21/knack-features-local-co-op-built-with-younger-players-in-mind/

That sounds like a pretty thoughtful design. Pretty nice.

Also, I don't expect many people to care. The simple fact that it's a first party game, people will judge it based on their standards even though it's clear we're not the target audience. Were this a third party game, no one would care and we wouldn't get threads about the title.

4 ≈ One

JWeinCom said:

The quote shows that accomodations were made for younger players, not necessarily that the game was made for young kids.  Besides, you can make a game that's appealing to kids and still make it interesting.  In fact, the very developer of this game has made titles like that in the past.

I never said you couldn't make a game that's appealing to kids that isn't interesting.

How about this?  "Cerny wants Knack to be an inclusive, family-orientated game; he previously showed how developer Japan Studio built a giant DualShock to help its developers see how it would be to be an 8-year-old holding the controller."

To be honest this reminded me of a LEGO game more than anything else. That could be very good for them if they marketed it right.

I'm still looking forward to this. Cerny's pedigree has earned by trust.