By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New Knack Gameplay from Gamescom - Looking promising, reminds me of GoW

Tagged games:

My interest in this game has been gradually growing, it somehow just looks very satisfying.

Around the Network

This really does look a bit like GOW in the gameplay department, which is surprising since I never would have thought that previously.

Unfortunately as some have mentioned already, the gameplay just doesn't seem all that interesting. GOW works because it focuses on the combat and the pacing is good whereas this just seems to lack that kind of refinement.

Of course this is just based off of small snippets of videos but so far Knack still seems like it needs to find its identity.

Mario: Coins and Blocks(These are well placed to make the levels full and less empty)
Crash Bandicoot: Wumpa fruit/peaches and Boxes(These were also well placed to make the levels full and less empty)
Knack:???

Knack has Relics and Sunstones as of right now but they have more of a God Of War approach to them instead of the Crash/Mario type of take

Ratchet & Clank had Bolts and Boxes that helped fill in their worlds also

Knack kinda doesn't have the typical "Wumpa Fruit/Peach" he can collect in levels. He just collects Relics(a unique take that is more of his HP and adds to his overall size) and Sunstones(more of something that fills up his "magic power" meter thingy)

They can probably add that element later on

If you remember correctly, Crystals in Crash Bandicoot were a staple in the franchise but they didn't get introduced until the 2nd game

Knack is shaping up well. Looking at the new demo, it's clear Mike Cerny knows what he's doing. I also applaud Sony for showing new builds of their upcoming releases at Gamescom. If Nintendo did that with their upcoming releases they'd have received much better press. This way Sony manage to get lots of free marketing. Something Nintendo should learn.

JWeinCom said:
enditall727 said:
I was waiting for an upload of the Knack demo at Gamescom

This game seems to be coming along nicely

I think the combat looks good. What else could you want from the combat? Mario, Crash Bandicoot and Ratchet & Clanks combat is very simple and straight forward like this.

But Mario and Crash are platformers.  Combat is a small part of the gameplay.  The main draw is traversing interesting levels.  If Mario Galaxy focused solely on fighting Goombas, it would suck.  However, it seems like fighting is pretty much the entire focus of the gameplay here, so lackluster combat is a problem.

enditall727 said:
JWeinCom said:
The art style looks a lot better now that they've moved away from the typical city/lab settings. The transformation element seems to have some potential... Unfortunately, this looks like.... well, a launch game. A good idea that isn't as fleshed out as it needs to be. There just isn't anything very interesting going on in that video. I only watched about 5 minutes, but it seemed to be "walk five feet, take out three bad guys, walk five feet." Maybe a sequel with more time will be better.

Box's

No idea what that means.

pokoko said:
I think it's kind of odd how much hate this game gets, considering that it was developed to be very kid friendly. They even built the co-op around that idea.

"Knack includes a local co-op mode that should, according to game creator and system architect Mark Cerny, help kids around 5 to 7 years old play the PS4 launch game. At Gamescom, Cerny showed us a brief demonstration of the same-screen mode, in which a second player controls a robot version of Knack who provides support for the first player.

Like Knack himself, the silver robo-Knack can combat and defeat enemies to grab their parts and grow bigger. The difference is that when Knack gets hurt and becomes smaller and weaker, robot Knack can donate his parts to the damaged Knack. Cerny noted that the two-player mode allows a parent to jump in and help his seven-year old child playing as the main Knack, and for a younger player like a five-year old to play as robot Knack without harming the overall experience." -- http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/21/knack-features-local-co-op-built-with-younger-players-in-mind/

The quote shows that accomodations were made for younger players, not necessarily that the game was made for young kids.  Besides, you can make a game that's appealing to kids and still make it interesting.  In fact, the very developer of this game has made titles like that in the past.

Without blocks,coins,wumpa fruit and boxes, you would be able to notice empty areas in Mario or Crash so the only things you would do is run, kill an enemy, run, kill an enemy

And Knack is like the perfect mixture of GOW and Crash. Also, its not like Knack only focuses on fighting goblins. The combat seems pretty good to me

What makes it look lacking to you? What do you think needs to be added?

Around the Network

this just made my day one list.
It's 2 titles big now :) - killzone and knack.
I'm not feeling watchdogs and I don't trust AC anymore, we'll see :) 29th nov is still a long way.

Those environments loo much better than the E3 stuff but the overall gameplay seems like it could bore me kinda quick. Though some of his special attacks are cool.

pokoko said:
JWeinCom said:

The quote shows that accomodations were made for younger players, not necessarily that the game was made for young kids.  Besides, you can make a game that's appealing to kids and still make it interesting.  In fact, the very developer of this game has made titles like that in the past.

I never said you couldn't make a game that's appealing to kids that isn't interesting.

How about this?  "Cerny wants Knack to be an inclusive, family-orientated game; he previously showed how developer Japan Studio built a giant DualShock to help its developers see how it would be to be an 8-year-old holding the controller."

That's all well and good, and it's great that they're thinking of kids.  I still don't think the game looks interesting.

enditall727 said:

thanks, will put into op.