By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New Knack Gameplay from Gamescom - Looking promising, reminds me of GoW

Tagged games:

enditall727 said:
JWeinCom said:
enditall727 said:
I was waiting for an upload of the Knack demo at Gamescom

This game seems to be coming along nicely

I think the combat looks good. What else could you want from the combat? Mario, Crash Bandicoot and Ratchet & Clanks combat is very simple and straight forward like this.

But Mario and Crash are platformers.  Combat is a small part of the gameplay.  The main draw is traversing interesting levels.  If Mario Galaxy focused solely on fighting Goombas, it would suck.  However, it seems like fighting is pretty much the entire focus of the gameplay here, so lackluster combat is a problem.

enditall727 said:
JWeinCom said:
The art style looks a lot better now that they've moved away from the typical city/lab settings. The transformation element seems to have some potential... Unfortunately, this looks like.... well, a launch game. A good idea that isn't as fleshed out as it needs to be. There just isn't anything very interesting going on in that video. I only watched about 5 minutes, but it seemed to be "walk five feet, take out three bad guys, walk five feet." Maybe a sequel with more time will be better.

Box's

No idea what that means.

pokoko said:
I think it's kind of odd how much hate this game gets, considering that it was developed to be very kid friendly. They even built the co-op around that idea.

"Knack includes a local co-op mode that should, according to game creator and system architect Mark Cerny, help kids around 5 to 7 years old play the PS4 launch game. At Gamescom, Cerny showed us a brief demonstration of the same-screen mode, in which a second player controls a robot version of Knack who provides support for the first player.

Like Knack himself, the silver robo-Knack can combat and defeat enemies to grab their parts and grow bigger. The difference is that when Knack gets hurt and becomes smaller and weaker, robot Knack can donate his parts to the damaged Knack. Cerny noted that the two-player mode allows a parent to jump in and help his seven-year old child playing as the main Knack, and for a younger player like a five-year old to play as robot Knack without harming the overall experience." -- http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/21/knack-features-local-co-op-built-with-younger-players-in-mind/

The quote shows that accomodations were made for younger players, not necessarily that the game was made for young kids.  Besides, you can make a game that's appealing to kids and still make it interesting.  In fact, the very developer of this game has made titles like that in the past.

Without blocks,coins,wumpa fruit and boxes, you would be able to notice empty areas in Mario or Crash so the only things you would do is run, kill an enemy, run, kill an enemy

And Knack is like the perfect mixture of GOW and Crash. Also, its not like Knack only focuses on fighting goblins. The combat seems pretty good to me

What makes it look lacking to you? What do you think needs to be added?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdpaJH0ZEuU

How many boxes do you see in that level?  I counted 2.  3 if you count the inacessible green one in the beginning.  There really haven't been an overabudance of blocks in Mario games since the SNES days.  What it does have though is varied terrain, tricky gaps to be traversed, and platforming in general.  Mario games are always about getting from A to point B, with the terrain and obstacles being designed to prevent that.

In Knack, from what I see, there is not much stopping you from running across the stage aside from the enemies.  The combat is seemingly the only obstacle to knack.  The end of the footage shows some conveyor belt stuff and machinery, which is a start.  As for what it needs, I don't know.  I'm not a game developer, so I really can't say.  All I could say is that as of right now, it doesn't look all that interesting.  

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

How many boxes do you see in that level?  I counted 2.  3 if you count the inacessible green one in the beginning.  There really haven't been an overabudance of blocks in Mario games since the SNES days.  What it does have though is varied terrain, tricky gaps to be traversed, and platforming in general.  Mario games are always about getting from A to point B, with the terrain and obstacles being designed to prevent that.

In Knack, from what I see, there is not much stopping you from running across the stage aside from the enemies.  The combat is seemingly the only obstacle to knack.  The end of the footage shows some conveyor belt stuff and machinery, which is a start.  As for what it needs, I don't know.  I'm not a game developer, so I really can't say.  All I could say is that as of right now, it doesn't look all that interesting.  

How many Coins did you see? ;)

and that wasn't really a real level. You shouldve used the 1st stage in Mario 64

Either way if you took away the coins and blocks in that stage you linked, You would have a run, enemy, run, enemy stage

You helped prove my point ;)

I don't like the camera of the game, other then that looks ok.

enditall727 said:
JWeinCom said:

and that wasn't really a real level. You shouldve used the 1st stage in Mario 64

Either way if you took away the coins and blocks in that stage you linked, You would have a run, enemy, run, enemy stage

Except you'd also have slopes, teetering platforms, difficult jumps, platform carosel, narrow bridges, flamethrowers, electric balls orbiting crystals for some reason, etc etc.  With or without the coins, the level would be interesting.

Traversing the actual levels is fun and interesting.  I don't see that in knack.  You can feel free to check how many boxes there are.  Not that many.

JWeinCom said:
enditall727 said:
JWeinCom said:

Except you'd also have slopes, teetering platforms, difficult jumps, platform carosel, narrow bridges, flamethrowers, electric balls orbiting crystals for some reason, etc etc.  With or without the coins, the level would be interesting.

Traversing the actual levels is fun and interesting.  I don't see that in knack.  You can feel free to check how many boxes there are.  Not that many.

All of that stuff can easily be in knack. We already have slopes, electric ball enemies(NOT orbiting a crystal), arrow traps(just like flame throwers but just with arrows). You and i were actually able to play the retail  version of Mario 64 so of course you or i would know about the different obstacles in the game

I think you should wait for the final retail version to release before passing judgement

Also, Mario has had multiple years to develop and establish itself so i dont think its fair to expect Knack to come out and be on par with something like Mario in all aspects

Around the Network

I wonder if the levels in Knack will be as hard as the levels in the 1st Crash Bandicoot? That game was fucking hard! The boss's were pretty easy but the REAL boss's were the levels themselves lol

enditall727 said:
JWeinCom said:
enditall727 said:
JWeinCom said:

All of that stuff can easily be in knack. We already say slopes, electric ball enemies(NOT orbiting a crystal), arrow traps(just like flame throwers but just with arrows. You and i were actually able to play the retail  version of Mario 64 so of course you or i would know about the different obatacles in the game

I think you shouñdshould wait fodfor thdthe final retail version to release before passing judgement

Also, Mario has had multiple years to develop and establish itself so i dont think its fair to expect Knack to come out and be on par with something like Mario in all aspects

I'm not saying knack should have all those things.  Mario is a platformer, so jumping between places is the crux of the gameplay.  The fun of it is in getting from point a to point b while the game throws twists and gimicks at you.

Knack doesn't seem to be focused on platforming, so those things might not be appropriate.  And of course, the final product could be a lot better.  I'm just judging it based on what I've seen so far.  

Makes me think of original Castlevania (that is, the non-metroidvania ones), but in 3D.

Mild platforming, all about spacing, hit stationary environment pieces for powerups.

Looks really good. I expect that sells well. Probably I will buy it next year.

enditall727 said:
I was waiting for an upload of the Knack demo at Gamescom

This game seems to be coming along nicely

I think the combat looks good. What else could you want from the combat? Mario, Crash Bandicoot and Ratchet & Clanks combat is very simple and straight forward like this.

Yeah, but the platforming is usually way better than this. But before I get ahead of myself, is this being marketted as a platformer? If it is, I can't imagine spending my time on this game. The combat is ok but not great, the platforming shown so far is poor and if there's also an average plot, then what is there to make it stand out and make me spend the time that I should be spending on my backlog?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs