By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS has 'exciting' news at Gamescom

Why not drop the price and keep the Kinect? Take the losses and work on other ways of profit. This is MS we are talking about - the Surface, The Kin, the first XBox, The Zune, the second xbox for a few years and the RROD warranty. They can afford to take a loss the first few years then work their way back to profit down the road.

Anyways they've basically said Fifa will exclusive DLC. Outside of that I've only read rumors of Crackdown 3 and a new rare IP. Hopefully the hour presentation shows some new stuff.

It's just that simple.

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

It was because of ps4 they made these changes. They we're/are getting stomped in preorders. They had to do something to change that. So they reverse their god awful policies. Why would they do that? Because of preorders and nothing else. If you think they actually listen to anything anyone was screaming about your fooling yourself. It was money and nothing more. They see Sony getting a bigger piece of the pie so they decide to follow in Sony’s path. Simple.

And one could easy say they were getting "stomped in preorders" due to their own unpopular decisions, not because of the PS4. MS created the problem, not Sony. The "path" they are going down is the same path they went down this gen.

I agree, even in a wider scope: during the history of videogame industry, almost each console producer has mostly been the main creator of its own troubles.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

g911turbo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said

You've seen the Kinect, its definitely more powerful than the Kinect 1, but its as far as concrete gaming is concerned its just a more powerful version of the same thing. You wont be able to control games with it, you'll still be on rails. The most you'll get out of it is a more accurate version of what you experienced this gen.

Most people forget so quickly that Sony supports DRM....just not in the gaming industry. 

Sony saw an opening to take a lead over Microsoft, but many know that if Sony was to launch head to head with Microsoft the chances are higher that they will win. MS knows so they arent going to risk anything on any chance Microsoft has, spared no expense. Sony isnt an angel, trust me they've been through some shit but they cannot afford to piss off gamers, and the PS3 era humbled the crap out of them. Sony as a corporation has gone through enough and they do not want to rock the boat with anyone. For the two and a half years they have been solid with gamers. 

Microsoft doesnt need the gaming industry, but they want the greater portion marketshare Sony built. Works out better for all of us if theres competition. Problem is when it gets dirty (LOL) it really gets dirty.

I think Kinect 2 needs to be used to SUPPLEMENT a games controls.  That could be something special if they do it right.  For example, twitching/leaning in a shooting game to go further behind cover, etc.  It's possible with some creative minds, but the only way it would ever happen is if EVERY system had one.

Sony did play it a bit safe with PS4.  I don't blame them, as it probably assures solid sales during this generation, even if they don't have the most sales.  Risks are just that, risks....  I like Sony's first party offerings, and I will pick up a PS4 eventually.  Same with Xbox.  

As for the big announcement.  Seems like a price cut is the biggest thing they could announce right now.  Or a big exclusive / new title.

Well Kinect is already doing that and everyone else could do that too if they just enabled headsets to do more. If that makes a game superior Sony could've been doing that since the PS2 era. It doesn't really change the game very much, but what Nintendo is doing with that game pad seems to be a real game changer in how we game.

How did Sony play it safe? They gave people the choice. They never force things on people, thats the job of Microsoft. Wasn't putting Blu Ray in the PS3 enough risk to bleed out oa corporation for one generation? Thanks to them I can enjoy my movies on Blu Ray in 3D with my friends and family as well. Of course MS had to try to kill off Blu Ray and they did HD-DVD no favors.

MS and Sony will both reveal newer titles at Gamescom. Nintendo of course will be hiding with their tail tucked between their legs in Japan and sending us a complimentary Nintendo Direct.

Doing another 180, perhaps?

Puppyroach said:
Looking at VGC. Kinect adventures still sell some 20k units per week. I think people here once again underestimate the power Kinect has over nongamers. Just a few days ago, a friend of mine tried it for the first time and is already thinking of bying a 360 just for training games.

Yes, and it looks like this new Kinect 2.0 on the new one will be significantly better. 

But it looks like we will have to wait till next year to see waves of fitness/dance/kinecty games.  I'm not sure why they don't have more at launch - other than they are trying to appeal to hard core gamers only (perhaps because they will lose money on the consoles?)

So next year for a big 'casual push?'

I'm still surprised they is no P90X for kinect or equivalent.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

Delaying the release for 2014 on 8 of their initial 21 countries is not what I call exciting.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Zappykins said:
Puppyroach said:
Looking at VGC. Kinect adventures still sell some 20k units per week. I think people here once again underestimate the power Kinect has over nongamers. Just a few days ago, a friend of mine tried it for the first time and is already thinking of bying a 360 just for training games.

Yes, and it looks like this new Kinect 2.0 on the new one will be significantly better. 

But it looks like we will have to wait till next year to see waves of fitness/dance/kinecty games.  I'm not sure why they don't have more at launch - other than they are trying to appeal to hard core gamers only (perhaps because they will lose money on the consoles?)

I agree, it is really strange that they do not cater to the non-traditional gamer more, like they have done these past years. I think it has been a very succesful strategy, because it enables for more people to also discover what else these consoles have to offer. Also, accesories for the Kinect could be a huge thing :).

I am not too worried about X1 in the long run. People here focus waaaaay to much on gaining marketshare, not on how to make profit and getting a broad consumer base which also brings in the cash through other services than just games. If X1 end up being in second place behind PS4, well that is no different from any other generation, and I am still sure they will make a buttload of money of it and get people to use their other products (W8, WP8) together with the X1/Kinect. 

Playing it safe is not a good strategy in this day and age, that will not grow the industry.

Puppyroach said:

I agree, it is really strange that they do not cater to the non-traditional gamer more, like they have done these past years. I think it has been a very succesful strategy, because it enables for more people to also discover what else these consoles have to offer. Also, accesories for the Kinect could be a huge thing :).

I am not too worried about X1 in the long run. People here focus waaaaay to much on gaining marketshare, not on how to make profit and getting a broad consumer base which also brings in the cash through other services than just games. If X1 end up being in second place behind PS4, well that is no different from any other generation, and I am still sure they will make a buttload of money of it and get people to use their other products (W8, WP8) together with the X1/Kinect. 

Playing it safe is not a good strategy in this day and age, that will not grow the industry.

Yes, I think the other company may start about better, but in the long run, unless something crazy happens, I think the Xbox One will do very well.  Not only is it a great gaming console with an outstanding controller, but it is also many other useful and nice things.

Once they open the marketing to the casuals, I think it will be a big(ger) hit.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

ok ,im waiting

Puppyroach said:
Zappykins said:
Puppyroach said:

@bold

Its funny you say that we focus too much on marketshare, because it really does matter, especially to companies like Microsoft. Sonys marketshare is why MS came to the gaming industry in the first place. Read any documentary on the Xbox and you'll find that marketshare dominance was the exact reason MS came into the gaming industry. Sony was getting too big an expanding the gaming industrys size at a rapid rate to the point where it threatened PC gaming and increased the multimedia space for CD's, DVD's and now Blu Rays. If you think the profits from the gaming industry are that large to Microsoft you must be joking. Microsoft wants the living room space and Sony was dominating it until they came and halved it. All they have to do is eat away at the multimedia gaming marketshare. Nintendo can wait.