By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MS has 'exciting' news at Gamescom

landguy1 said:

Sourcing an article about a guy who used to be a developer who "thinks" that is what happened?  Your kidding right?

What i am saying is that because their presells were sucking, M$ re-adopted what worked for them this generation - the 360 business model.  Obviously Sony thought it was good, they adopted it directly to the PS4.  Nothing innovative from Sony or M$ now.  All this really accomplished, is the shorter lifespan of this console generation.  Like Cliffy B said, you will be forced to go digital if you want the whole game anyway.  All of this "i don't play connected" stuff will be a thing of the past if you want to get the full game on the PS4/XBone.  When Sony states that they will not require DRM for any of their games, they are lying.  You will have to buy all DLC online.  You will not be able to trade online content.  So, therefore it is DRM.  How long is it going to take the "Sony is looking out for me the gamer" crowd to get this in their heads.  Sony doesn't care about you, your friends, your rights, your freedoms.  Just like all companies, it is about the $$$.  Not just the $$$, but how they can suck as much out of you as possible.  If Sony shipped you copies of their "free" games for PS+ instead of giving you a no cost to them DIGITAL copy that you "don't really own because it is digital" then I would believe that they care about you the gamer.

Thumbs up for this post.

I still think Microsoft is stupid for not adopting an online trading place for digital games.  You buy a game digitally for 60, you trade it to someone through Microsoft's marketplace for 40, minus a 10 fee that goes to Microsoft and the dev.  Imagine all the micro transaction dipping they could do.  I think these companies are just being greedy, and were attempting to go all or nothing.

Reminds me of how iTunes changed things.  If you can't beat them join them.  Don't FORCE people to buy an entire album, because they will want to pirate your stuff even more.  Instead, offer them the ability to buy just the songs they like.  Same here.  Don't force people to sink 60 into a game that they will never see again.  Let the market decide what a game is worth used, and continue to make money on it through the life cycle.

I think the basic idea of full DRM would work if they managed it better.  No family share circle of 10, etc. bullshit.  Way too complicated.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

LOL.....Wow you're trying so hard to rationalize this aren't you?

You'll see...and keep in mind, they will drop the price of the XBone to be closer to PS4 in price if the PS4 outsells them or possibly precautionary to make sure they dont before the launch. The same Kinect they said could not be let go will be let go eventually for a standardize product. Care to make a wager? 

I'm not sure I get the point of this post.  Of course they are considering a price drop.  If a company drops a price of anything it's to become or remain COMPETITIVE.  What the hell is the matter with you?

g911turbo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

LOL.....Wow you're trying so hard to rationalize this aren't you?

You'll see...and keep in mind, they will drop the price of the XBone to be closer to PS4 in price if the PS4 outsells them or possibly precautionary to make sure they dont before the launch. The same Kinect they said could not be let go will be let go eventually for a standardize product. Care to make a wager? 

I'm not sure I get the point of this post.  Of course they are considering a price drop.  If a company drops a price of anything it's to become or remain COMPETITIVE.  What the hell is the matter with you?

If you realize this, then you're not really arguing with me. I was speaking to those who actually believe they are sticking to their guns with the Kinect 2 just in case Sony outsells them. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
g911turbo said:

If you realize this, then you're not really arguing with me. I was speaking to those who actually believe they are sticking to their guns with the Kinect 2 just in case Sony outsells them. 

I'm not sure Microsoft can remove the Kinect at this point.  If anything, they will just have to eat the cost.  Would love to see a "trade in your 360 for 100 off" promo.

And the reversal of DRM was due to reaction from people.  Did having the PS4 as an option help spur this reaction... sure.  But at the end of the day, people threatened to vote with their wallets and Microsoft chose not to call their bluff.  I wouldn't really call it copying Sony.  Just doing what they had to do based on fan reaction.

Bottom line is that X1 and PS4 go after the same exact market, of course they will mimic eachother on certain aspects...  just like ps3 vs 360.  I think that is why Nintendo is choosing the route they do. 

g911turbo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
g911turbo said:

I'm not sure Microsoft can remove the Kinect at this point.  If anything, they will just have to eat the cost.  Would love to see a "trade in your 360 for 100 off" promo.

And the reversal of DRM was due to reaction from people.  Did having the PS4 as an option help spur this reaction... sure.  But at the end of the day, people threatened to vote with their wallets and Microsoft chose not to call their bluff.  I wouldn't really call it copying Sony.  Just doing what they had to do based on fan reaction.

Bottom line is that X1 and PS4 go after the same exact market, of course they will mimic eachother on certain aspects...  just like ps3 vs 360.  I think that is why Nintendo is choosing the route they do. 

They didnt tell the truth in the first place. It was never dependent upon the Kinect to work. It was all just to make sure that they made profit off of the Kinect. They dont want to risk losing profit on any of their items like Sony. They were not about to give people the option. Its smart, but they didnt need to decieve people. Looks like they are getting closer and closer to giving people the option.

The people could've screamed to the heavens, if Sony would've agreed to DRM Microsoft, Sony and EA would've dragged everyone kicking and screaming into a new era of gaming. You must leave no openings for dissent if you want to force ugly hand forward. Sony disagreed, therefore the people had a voice that was powerful enough to help their cause. Because of that voice standing up and staying at a median level between the consumer and the third party EA was left between a rock and a hard place and MS stood alone to take the verbal whiplash from the community. Thats why EA dropped the online pass, they weren't going to listen to a thing, but if the consumers money is going away from Microsoft to a willing party who has practically the same product there is an out. 

Don't think Microsoft is one of the types of companies who would drag the consumers kicking and screaming to whatever end they had to get to? Look at their responses to the backlash within the same two weeks. It was obviously Sony and MS werent on the same page so MS had to shape up to stay in the game.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

They didnt tell the truth in the first place. It was never dependent upon the Kinect to work. It was all just to make sure that they made profit off of the Kinect. They dont want to risk losing profit on any of their items like Sony. They were not about to give people the option. Its smart, but they didnt need to decieve people. Looks like they are getting closer and closer to giving people the option.

The people could've screamed to the heavens, if Sony would've agreed to DRM Microsoft, Sony and EA would've dragged everyone kicking and screaming into a new era of gaming. You must leave no openings for dissent if you want to force ugly hand forward. Sony disagreed, therefore the people had a voice that was powerful enough to help their cause. Because of that voice standing up and staying at a median level between the consumer and the third party EA was left between a rock and a hard place and MS stood alone to take the verbal whiplash from the community. Thats why EA dropped the online pass, they weren't going to listen to a thing, but if the consumers money is going away from Microsoft to a willing party who has practically the same product there is an out. 

Don't think Microsoft is one of the types of companies who would drag the consumers kicking and screaming to whatever end they had to get to? Look at their responses to the backlash within the same two weeks. It was obviously Sony and MS werent on the same page so MS had to shape up to stay in the game.

I guess a Kinect less version IS possible.  But it would be interesting to see what Kinect could do for games in the future if EVERY console had one.  Might be sad to see them make it an option, as that would basically equate to instand failure of the peripheral (relatively speaking)

Sony saw an opening to take a lead over Microsoft.  That and maybe their DRM roll out wasnt quite ready...  Sony is just as money hungry as Microsoft dude.  I KNOW that Microsoft is that kind of company, but can you admit that Sony is too is the question.

g911turbo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I guess a Kinect less version IS possible.  But it would be interesting to see what Kinect could do for games in the future if EVERY console had one.  Might be sad to see them make it an option, as that would basically equate to instand failure of the peripheral (relatively speaking)

Sony saw an opening to take a lead over Microsoft.  That and maybe their DRM roll out wasnt quite ready...  Sony is just as money hungry as Microsoft dude.  I KNOW that Microsoft is that kind of company, but can you admit that Sony is too is the question.

You've seen the Kinect, its definitely more powerful than the Kinect 1, but its as far as concrete gaming is concerned its just a more powerful version of the same thing. You wont be able to control games with it, you'll still be on rails. The most you'll get out of it is a more accurate version of what you experienced this gen.

Most people forget so quickly that Sony supports DRM....just not in the gaming industry. 

Sony saw an opening to take a lead over Microsoft, but many know that if Sony was to launch head to head with Microsoft the chances are higher that they will win. MS knows so they arent going to risk anything on any chance Microsoft has, spared no expense. Sony isnt an angel, trust me they've been through some shit but they cannot afford to piss off gamers, and the PS3 era humbled the crap out of them. Sony as a corporation has gone through enough and they do not want to rock the boat with anyone. For the two and a half years they have been solid with gamers. 

Microsoft doesnt need the gaming industry, but they want the greater portion marketshare Sony built. Works out better for all of us if theres competition. Problem is when it gets dirty (LOL) it really gets dirty.

Mmmfishtacos said:

It was because of ps4 they made these changes. They we're/are getting stomped in preorders. They had to do something to change that. So they reverse their god awful policies. Why would they do that? Because of preorders and nothing else. If you think they actually listen to anything anyone was screaming about your fooling yourself. It was money and nothing more. They see Sony getting a bigger piece of the pie so they decide to follow in Sony’s path. Simple.

And one could easy say they were getting "stomped in preorders" due to their own unpopular decisions, not because of the PS4. MS created the problem, not Sony. The "path" they are going down is the same path they went down this gen.

S.T.A.G.E. said

You've seen the Kinect, its definitely more powerful than the Kinect 1, but its as far as concrete gaming is concerned its just a more powerful version of the same thing. You wont be able to control games with it, you'll still be on rails. The most you'll get out of it is a more accurate version of what you experienced this gen.

Most people forget so quickly that Sony supports DRM....just not in the gaming industry. 

Sony saw an opening to take a lead over Microsoft, but many know that if Sony was to launch head to head with Microsoft the chances are higher that they will win. MS knows so they arent going to risk anything on any chance Microsoft has, spared no expense. Sony isnt an angel, trust me they've been through some shit but they cannot afford to piss off gamers, and the PS3 era humbled the crap out of them. Sony as a corporation has gone through enough and they do not want to rock the boat with anyone. For the two and a half years they have been solid with gamers. 

Microsoft doesnt need the gaming industry, but they want the greater portion marketshare Sony built. Works out better for all of us if theres competition. Problem is when it gets dirty (LOL) it really gets dirty.

I think Kinect 2 needs to be used to SUPPLEMENT a games controls.  That could be something special if they do it right.  For example, twitching/leaning in a shooting game to go further behind cover, etc.  It's possible with some creative minds, but the only way it would ever happen is if EVERY system had one.

Sony did play it a bit safe with PS4.  I don't blame them, as it probably assures solid sales during this generation, even if they don't have the most sales.  Risks are just that, risks....  I like Sony's first party offerings, and I will pick up a PS4 eventually.  Same with Xbox.  

As for the big announcement.  Seems like a price cut is the biggest thing they could announce right now.  Or a big exclusive / new title.

J_Allard said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

It was because of ps4 they made these changes. They we're/are getting stomped in preorders. They had to do something to change that. So they reverse their god awful policies. Why would they do that? Because of preorders and nothing else. If you think they actually listen to anything anyone was screaming about your fooling yourself. It was money and nothing more. They see Sony getting a bigger piece of the pie so they decide to follow in Sony’s path. Simple.

And one could easy say they were getting "stomped in preorders" due to their own unpopular decisions, not because of the PS4. MS created the problem, not Sony. The "path" they are going down is the same path they went down this gen.

Microsoft's DRM fiasco was complicated.  IMO that is what hurt it the most.  If they had supported a market place to trade digital games and left it at that, it might have faired much better.