By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I have to admit, I wasn't really interested until I watched this.

Tagged games:

NightDragon83 said:
The character models and art style kinda reminds me a bit of "Viewtiful Joe." Anyone else get that vibe from this game, or is it just me?

Not just you; Viewtiful Joe and W101 have the same director; Hideki Kamiya.

Around the Network
hsrob said:

You can download a 60fps video here, better quality but it's 789mb

http://platinumgames.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/wiiu_wonderful101_trailer_012213s.mov (right click 'save as'))

For those uncertain as to what the game is, it is an action adventure. It bears some superficial resemblance to Pikmin but only in the perspective and the fact that there are 100 characters under your control.

Pikmin is a strategy game at heart with plenty of exploration and adventure but it focuses on management of time and resources and affords you individual control over each of your units, even through the range of actions for each unit is limited.

Wonderful 101 does not (at least not in the demo) give you much, if any control over individual units. You are fighting essentially as a single entity with the individuals in the unit determining the group's strength and move set. You have a much more diverse range of moves than in Pikmin, including defensive, offensive, jumping and special moves with combos playing a prominent role. Like Viewtiful Joe there are exploration and puzzle solving sections interspersed with small, medium and large set-piece battles. At the end of each section you get a score based on how well you completed the section based on speed, combos, defense etc.

Not sure if that helps?

It seems that you can highlight different members of your team on the touchpad, changing the leader for example. Not sure if this makes a difference to moves you can pull off. There's a lot of stuff to figure out.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

The Trailer was absolutely fantastic ! I had the game preprdered already but the Direct sold me on W101 so hard ...again.
To anyone having problems with the Demo: Try it a second and a third time, this is one of those games that seems overwhelming at first and then suddenly BAM everything falls into place and the game clicks !
My first playthrough was a massacre and I got a plastic statue at the end....my third playthrough got rewarded with a Platinum Statue :D !
Fantastic !!

Finally a Wii U game that caught my eye. Color me intrigued.

bazmeistergen said:
hsrob said:

http://platinumgames.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/wiiu_wonderful101_trailer_012213s.mov (right click 'save as'))

For those uncertain as to what the game is, it is an action adventure. It bears some superficial resemblance to Pikmin but only in the perspective and the fact that there are 100 characters under your control.

Pikmin is a strategy game at heart with plenty of exploration and adventure but it focuses on management of time and resources and affords you individual control over each of your units, even through the range of actions for each unit is limited.

Wonderful 101 does not (at least not in the demo) give you much, if any control over individual units. You are fighting essentially as a single entity with the individuals in the unit determining the group's strength and move set. You have a much more diverse range of moves than in Pikmin, including defensive, offensive, jumping and special moves with combos playing a prominent role. Like Viewtiful Joe there are exploration and puzzle solving sections interspersed with small, medium and large set-piece battles. At the end of each section you get a score based on how well you completed the section based on speed, combos, defense etc.

Not sure if that helps?

It seems that you can highlight different members of your team on the touchpad, changing the leader for example. Not sure if this makes a difference to moves you can pull off. There's a lot of stuff to figure out.

You can change your leader which changes the default special you have access to via the A button, doesn't stop you using the other specials though.  I'm sure there's more to it than this through the game but that seemed to be the extent of it in the demo.

Demo was a little hard to get your head around at first go so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Around the Network
hsrob said:

Not sure if that helps?

I don't know, I'd classify the Pikmin franchise as more action adventure than strategy and The Wonderful 101 as a pure action game myself.

IHateLife said:

Now I understand why Kamiya is so desperate to show the game to people, it's one of those games where "unless you see it in action, it won't make sense" type of game. I guess I'm buying it.

The trailer don't have so much gameplay, more cutscenes.

Anyways, the demo suggests the game is not too easy (at least for me) and has a good pace of action while playing.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

pokoko said:

However, in the trailer, the guy said, "their faces are forever masked," right as it showed the guy with no mask on. That was laaame.

I more understood it the way, that nobody ever knows the identity of Superman, although the reader of the comic or the watchers of the movie know it. But these watchers are outside of the imagined world of Superman. Same here, we are players that look from our world into the games world.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

sth88 said:
The art style is gorgeous, and I love the Saturday morning cartoon-style storytelling. The gameplay, on the other hand, I'm not sure about. I imagine it would probably make more sense if I got some hands-on time with the game, but right now it looks a bit too chaotic to me, like it would be a little tough to keep track of what you are doing with all the other heroes swarming around you.

As I played the demo - you always play the hero marked as leader (with a circle around the character). You can switch the leader and it happens automatically if you use different unite morphs (was that the name), as different leaders provide different of these morphs. Wonder Red is the Hand, Wonder Blue the Sword and so on. The others are following the leader or are used in the unite moves. That works pretty well I have to say.

NightDragon83 said:
The character models and art style kinda reminds me a bit of "Viewtiful Joe." Anyone else get that vibe from this game, or is it just me?

No surprise, as the developers are Platinum, that was formed from members from Clover that made Viewtiful Joe.